DNAinfo Shuts Down DCist and Gothamist - Archives Remain Online

Kanishka

30 minutes ago, Kanishka said:

... and so are its archives:

https://assets.dnainfo.com/message.html

And so goes a treasure trove of local journalism, including my own limited and mediocre first attempts to write about food.  A no-prize to the person who can find my post about Don on the Wayback Machine.  The high point of my public-facing writing "career"!

Here you go, Kanishka - if you Google-search your articles, then hold the cursor over the blue link, you'll get a cached version. (This is why I link to Wikipedia every chance I get, even though it may not be "the best" choice.)

DonRocks Strikes Out on His Own

BY KANISHKA GANGOPADHYAY IN FOOD ON APR 28, 2005 12:01 PM

2005_0428_bestfoodwriting.gifWhen Tom Sietsema gave a shoutout to Don Rockwell during last weeks' Ask Tom, it was a quiet nod to one of the lesser-known food writers active in D.C.:

Speaking of online food discussions, Don Rockwell, a former egullet host, has just launched a fun one: DonRockwell.com. Don is a fine writer, has good taste and eats out almost as much as I do. If you care about food in Washington, his is a site to monitor.
Unlike Sietsema or the Beard-nominated Todd Kliman, Rockwell's writings have only appeared online. The venue for these pieces was originally the D.C. eGullet forum, but now "DonRocks", as he is known online, has struck out on his own.

In Rockwell's words, the new website is an effort to

create a welcoming community for people. . . to nurture a community the way I KNOW it needs to be done: empowering the members, respecting the area chefs, and fostering an environment of mutual respect and admiration between the industry professionals and the dining public.
He's already started a long list of restaurants for tourists to visit, eliminating the guesswork for many. Also, unlike the more formal eGullet (whose policies changed earlier this year) members of DonRocks' site are free to organize gatherings on the fly. A few recent events include a picnic in Montrose Parkand a dinner especially for neophytes at the always-packed Ray's the Steaks.

If gatherings aren't your thing, DonRocks' writings are another reason to check out the site. Unencumbered by editors, Rockwell's reviews show ample range. He minces no words when lauding the burger at Palena ("The cheeseburger at Palena kicks more ass than a Cossack dancer in a crowded elevator"), makes a compelling argument for why "mere" sandwich shop proprietor Mark Furstenberg of Breadline is the most influential chef in Washington D.C., and excoriates sub-par mexican chain Rosa Mexicano for "suck[ing] ventworm nut". Rockwell insists that the Klimans and Sietsemas of the world are far superior in terms of food writing, but in the sometimes bland world of restaurant criticism, his reviews and other writings are ample reason to give his site a daily read.

It may be older, but we nominate "Rosa Mexicano sucks ventworm nut" for some sort of food writing award.

• Haha 1