Cafe Kimchi - Korean-Owned Breakfast and Lunch Nook on 8th and I Street SE, Barracks Row - Closed

On 11/20/2015 at 11:49 AM, monkeyrotica said:

Open for over a year, Cafe Kimchi at 751 8th St SE offers good breakfasts and interesting Korean fusion. Located in the Capitol Hill Subs shop that had been around since at least the 1970s, the current shop is tiny with only a single communal table and two small counters with stools. They do mostly takeout, but they do kimchi burgers, kimchi burritos, kichi reubens, bulgogi subs, and even a kimchi grilled bacon cheese so you name it, they'll put kimchi on it. Nearly everything is under $10. Really clean shop and nice people.

Screenshot 2017-11-13 at 13.12.17.pngScreenshot 2017-11-13 at 13.12.34.pngScreenshot 2017-11-13 at 13.12.49.png

Cafe Kimchi has closed. The space is now open under (I believe) different ownership with a new name and prettier look. The new restaurant is Torai, which serves Korean and Japanese food.  Yelp link (obligatory "Sorry, Don.")  Someone I know who lives nearby told me about the change and said that the food is quite good and a step up from Cafe Kimchi.  

I have not been in to eat here yet and, for that matter, only got food at Cafe Kimchi once. I forget what it was but it wasn't something that traveled too well. Given the small space, takeout probably remains the best option here, though there is some seating.  The space is at 751 8th Street, SE, next to District Doughnuts.