On 11/20/2017 at 11:39 AM, DaveO said:

An all time Knick star is impressed by Porzingis

Albert Bernard King was a great player, a great Knick, resucited his game with the Bullets, and always played the game with smarts on top of his tremendous skills. His smarts made his skills better.

An encouraging comment from a keen student of the game 

You had a senior moment (with which I'm becoming familiar :)) with Bernard King (Albert was a star for the Maryland Terrapins - he and Gene Banks (from Philadelphia - played college ball at Duke) were the best two high school players in the country his senior year - rated higher than even Magic Johnson (I was lucky enough to see all three play in the McDonald's Capital Classic (*))); Bernard (his big brother) was half of the "Bernie and Ernie Show" at University of Tennessee, along with Ernie Grunfeld. I thought sure Albert would be better than Bernard, but it didn't pan out that way - he was a star at Maryland, and, I believe, First Team All-ACC, but he just never hit that mega-stardom I was so sure he'd achieve.

(*) I distinctly remember the Program from the Capital Classic that year (though I think my brother absconded with it!) - Earvin Johnson (a 6'9" center from Lansing, MI) had a bio-sketch that I remember the beginning of word-for-word: "Great enthusiasm - cheerleader type. Says he would love to play guard one day ...."

Yep, Bernard. My mistake.  Bernard was a fearsome scorer, always extremely efficient sometimes explosive. One of the great scorers in the game. 

There are two Albert Kings of note: Most well known is the Great guitarist

The other is Bernard’s younger brother, Albert, a highly touted much recruited High school star

For a long time I had both Albert King’s on the brain.  The basketball Albert was very good but was clearly no Magic Johnson in college or the pro’s.  I used to go to U Md games at that time.  Albert played with the formidable Buck Williams.  Terrific ACC competition.  The Terps were a wee bit behind their competition.  Tough games. Great crowds—electric hatred toward Duke—and Buck would battle Ralph Sampson but alas Albert, while sometimes very great, was not all he was cracked up to be.

Bernard, Bernard, Bernard the better basketball playing King brother and one of the best players to ever play for the Knicks.

The sad thing for Bernard and the Knicks was that he ruptured his ACL. He took 2 years to recover.  It was before medicine had advanced to treat an ACL injury as they do now. He couldn’t play with Ewing and Ewing never had a star star teammate.

But big Bernard came back and became a great scorer for the Bullets.

I have a lot of respect for Bernard and I put weight on his compliments towards Porzingis 

16 hours ago, DaveO said:

There are two Albert Kings of note: Most well known is the Great guitarist

The other is Bernard’s younger brother, Albert, a highly touted much recruited High school star

I had no idea about Albert King the guitarist - I thought sure you were thinking of Alvin Lee.

Surprisingly, there are also two Bernard Kings of note - both basketball players.

I went to Midwood HS in Brooklyn & Bernard King was only 3 years younger than me, playing at Ft. Hamilton HS the year I left to go away to college.  Even though Brooklyn had quite a number of incredibly good HS players back then (including Steve Bracie, who played at Midwood during my years and took us to a title & eventually made it to the NBA), I remember the buzz about Bernard whenever I was back home.  I paid attention & loved his years with the Knicks.  He carried a poor team on his back & they fed him the ball almost every play for a couple of those years.  Considering that he was an under the boards type of player, that kind of wear and tear cut short a career that I think could've been one of the best in the game & injuries took their toll.  He's one of my favorite memories of the Knicks during the lean years before Ewing et al -- sort've like Don Mattingly is for the Yankees.

• Like 1

Although I switched allegiances to the Bullets I still liked and followed the Knicks and recall Bernard King in those early 80’s.  One of the greatest scorers ever.  

My recollection is similar to that of @Steve R.. Lousy Knick teams that fed B King all the time and he could deliver.  He was incredibly efficient.  Damn injury hurt a remarkable career.

The Guy was very determined. When he played for the Bullets after that injury he went from rapid movement jump shots to rapidly developed drives and could still score.  Great talent.

Big tragedy for the Knicks.  Ewing never played with a real star.  Bernard King was that level of star before being injured and he was in his prime. Could have been a great combo