Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, DaveO said:

In any case I'm appreciative that Sietsema went out and surveyed all of these places.  It will save me the effort and might keep me from ordering something horrible next time I'm at one of those restaurants.  BTW:  I've always liked patty melts but have had some lousy one's recently.  Maybe I'll have one at IHop per Sietsema's article.  Couldn't be more disappointing than some of those I've had elsewhere.

I got a patty melt at the Johnny Rockets in Brambleton a while back. It really sucked. In fact, the whole meal sucked. That is a bad Johnny Rockets. The patty melt I got at the Freddy's in Fairfax more recently was much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thought -- back in the day, families would stop at a national chain vs some local place because you knew what you'd be getting (see, e.g., Mad magazine's "Johnson Howard's" feature from 1966. Now, because you know what you'd be getting at a national chain, you can feel safe bypassing it in favor of the local places, which are now easy to find and take a chance on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

I got a patty melt at the Johnny Rockets in Brambleton a while back. It really sucked. In fact, the whole meal sucked. That is a bad Johnny Rockets. The patty melt I got at the Freddy's in Fairfax more recently was much better.

I haven't been to a Johnny Rockets in ages.  Why?   Dan Snyderskin owned them.  Ultimately I stopped going to Skns game.  In the earlier 2000's it felt that as you approached the football stadium Snyder was already reaching into your pockets and sucking out your cash for an ever worsening experience.

Back to Johnny Rockets.  Didn't realize it till just now.  Snyderskin sold Johnny Rockets--in 2013.  How do ya like that?  On the one hand I feel like its okay to eat there again.  OTOH the patty melts suck.  Guess that means status quo going forward.  Thanks for the tip.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Bob Wells said:

I got a patty melt at the Johnny Rockets in Brambleton a while back. It really sucked. In fact, the whole meal sucked. That is a bad Johnny Rockets. The patty melt I got at the Freddy's in Fairfax more recently was much better.

Johnny Rockets in Brambleton closed 2 weeks ago...apparently it was pretty bad.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read the WaPo article. I am a little embarrassed to agree that since the chain stoped its discriminatory practices, Cracker Barrel is my go-to road-trippin' spot.

Here's what it's got going for it: clean bathrooms, veggies, kids menu, FRIED OCRA.

Here's what I hate about it: Mom, can I have this, can I have this, can I have this. and that slab 'o' meat that my husband orders...covered in white goo. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NolaCaine said:

Just read the WaPo article. I am a little embarrassed to agree that since the chain stoped its discriminatory practices, Cracker Barrel is my go-to road-trippin' spot.

Here's what it's got going for it: clean bathrooms, veggies, kids menu, FRIED OCRA.

Here's what I hate about it: Mom, can I have this, can I have this, can I have this. and that slab 'o' meat that my husband orders...covered in white goo. 

LOL your post reminds me of a long-gone chain (there are still a few left out west) called Black Eyed Pea, where my go-to meal was, yep, fried okra and chicken-fried steak (AKA slab o'meat covered in white goo).

CB does have pretty good food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NolaCaine said:

that slab 'o' meat that my husband orders...covered in white goo. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Wells said:

chicken-fried steak (AKA slab o'meat covered in white goo).

Hey! That's milk gravy! I've had chicken-fried steak that is awesome - once in particular, it was something you'd travel for, but I just can't remember where.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

One thought -- back in the day, families would stop at a national chain vs some local place because you knew what you'd be getting (see, e.g., Mad magazine's "Johnson Howard's" feature from 1966. Now, because you know what you'd be getting at a national chain, you can feel safe bypassing it in favor of the local places, which are now easy to find and take a chance on.

Or not - we have a now infamous family vacation to the Luray area where every single independent restaurant was GODAWFUL.  Like wretched bad.  We ended up cooking all of our meals for the back half of the vacation.  The family was unanimous that our best meal 'out' was the Burger King we went to after we walked out of another restaurant after a few bites.  The good food wave has apparently failed to reach certain parts of our fair country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, zgast said:

Or not - we have a now infamous family vacation to the Luray area where every single independent restaurant was GODAWFUL.  Like wretched bad.  We ended up cooking all of our meals for the back half of the vacation.  The family was unanimous that our best meal 'out' was the Burger King we went to after we walked out of another restaurant after a few bites.  The good food wave has apparently failed to reach certain parts of our fair country.

That sucks -- what year was that? Because now when I'm in an unfamiliar area, I generally rely on Yelp. I know it has its faults, but it's helped me have good meals in some really odd locales. Places that are literally in the middle of nowhere. And it can tell you if a chain in fact is your best bet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last time I went to a Cracker Barrel was after we went skiing at White Tail a few years ago. Stopped at one in Frederick. It was funny because a) a guy from South Africa in our group said the food reminded him of home and b.) my friend (now brother-in-law) was very confused that even though the menu said mains came with two vegetables, items like mac and cheese, fries, etc. were listed under vegetables. He had to ask the waitress if those counted or if they literally meant you could only get actual vegetables.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bob Wells said:

That sucks -- what year was that? Because now when I'm in an unfamiliar area, I generally rely on Yelp. I know it has its faults, but it's helped me have good meals in some really odd locales. Places that are literally in the middle of nowhere. And it can tell you if a chain in fact is your best bet.

2015 maybe?  Yelp was a big part of the problem - 4* restaurants that screamed Sysco that was ordered a year ago.  My wife refuses to use Yelp to this day.  She also continues to give us crap for taking us to the potato chip factory on a day they weren't making potato chips, though.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zgast said:

2015 maybe?  Yelp was a big part of the problem - 4* restaurants that screamed Sysco that was ordered a year ago.  My wife refuses to use Yelp to this day.  She also continues to give us crap for taking us to the potato chip factory on a day they weren't making potato chips, though.

LOL Double whammy -- stale Sysco and no Route 11 chips!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2017 at 9:24 AM, hopsing said:

I remember the Sizzler in North Arlington.  It is now a credit union.  But what sent me down memory lane was a steak chain from my high school years in New York:  Tad's Broiled Steaks.  It was across the street from where my sister and I worked on Saturdays, Macy's Herald Square.  It was such a treat to eat there.  Steak, baked potato, garlic bread, salad.  I think it was $3.49 (ok, I'm old!!!).  A splurge back in those days and we felt really grown up and mainstream American.  A nice change from the Chinese food my mother was cooking at home.  I can still remember the taste of it in my mind.  Once in a while, we also got the apple pie.  Sigh!  I think it is closed now.

1353392096_db5410ed1a_b.jpg

I just walked by this place in times square, looking very much open

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Tad's across the street from Macy's Herald Square closed.  I have a feeling if I tried the one at Times Square now it would taste nothing like the one I used to go to.  For starters, the food quality wouldn't be as good -- more things now are full of preservatives and fake ingredients.  Second, my high school taste buds were not very sophisticated so I wouldn't be as impressed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never been to a Tad's but I think it was the famed novelist (and now more of a screenwriter) Richard Price (a Bronx boy), who featured Tad's in one of his early (70s) books as a place where a HS kid would take his date to impress her and guarantee a score. I got a good sense of the place from his writing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sysco

I was somewhere between Arlington and...North Carolina (can't remember where) when we stoped at a mom 'n' pop BBQ shop. My DH LOVES BBQ.

This entire place was Sysco. Almost any national chain would have been better...or even WaWa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NolaCaine said:

Sysco

I was somewhere between Arlington and...North Carolina (can't remember where) when we stoped at a mom 'n' pop BBQ shop. My DH LOVES BBQ.

This entire place was Sysco. Almost any national chain would have been better...or even WaWa.

Yeah, some of the bbq places right off 95 generally are not the best. Back before the kids came along, I used to do some bbq runs down south. It was much harder pre-internet. I remember driving around with a New York Times clipping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×