On 4/1/2015 at 6:23 PM, DaveO said:

Besides Towns, the other person referenced as 1 or 2 in the draft is Jahlil Okafor, Duke's center, still in the tournament and also a Freshman as is Towns.  Also, still in the tournament and a Senior is Frank Kaminsky, the 7 footer from Wisconsin.

From my perspective, I tend to try and ignore statistics and focus on qualitative measures or evaluations of these players.  When I look at Cauley Stein I simply see a player with limited skills on the offensive side and not a great rebounder.  On the other hand he is active and rangy on the defensive side and most importantly effective in the college game.  Is he or will he be a great shot blocker...in my mind to be determined.   When I watch Towns and Okafor I see players that are highly touted and who have good moves, but I've seen them easily flustered during the season.  These are talented players with what I think are skills that need a lot of refinement.  My opinion no more no less.  Kaminsky is a guy who probably doesn't have the athletic talent or upside of any of the other 3 aforementioned bigs...but he has developed his game in 4 years.

On 4/1/2015 at 9:33 PM, farmer john said:

Okafor is going to be a big star at the next level- his footwork is as good as any post player I've seen since Olajuwon. 

Gee this poor guy is in basketball limbo.  Jahlil Okafor has only played in 2 games this year and is awaiting a trade or buyout... Just waiting

With lots of turmoil in his career he played decently in his rookie year.  Playing time diminished in his second year and now he is a guy awaiting a new team.

For a micro second I was thinking the Wizards....but nah.  He needs playing time to see if he has a decent career ahead of him

"76ers' Jahlil Okafor Remains Hopeful for a Quick Resolution" by Adrian Wojinarowski on espn.com

There are some really good reasons why he doesn't play.

Nov 8, 2016 - "Jahlil Okafor's Effort and Awareness Is a Problem" by Shamus Clancy on libertyballers.com

Dec 3, 2016 - "Jahlil Okafor's Problem Is Actually Offense" by Jaylen Young on thesixersense.com

Mar 1, 2017 - Jahlil Okafor Plays 12 Seconds of the Worst Defense You've Ever Seen" by Tim Cato on sbnation.com

• Like 2

8 hours ago, silentbob said:

There are some really good reasons why he doesn't play.

Nov 8, 2016 - "Jahlil Okafor's Effort and Awareness Is a Problem" by Shamus Clancy on libertyballers.com

Dec 3, 2016 - "Jahlil Okafor's Problem Is Actually Offense" by Jaylen Young on thesixersense.com

Mar 1, 2017 - Jahlil Okafor Plays 12 Seconds of the Worst Defense You've Ever Seen" by Tim Cato on sbnation.com

Whoa!!  Well that explains a lot.  I never saw one of his good games  while at Duke (don’t watch often- and haven’t watched him in the pro’s)

This article happens to mention Okafor, though it’s not about him.  It does lay out why there are so few positions and opportunities for a player of Okafor’s size and skill set.

• Like 1

Yep, that article is dead-on.  Any 7-footer in the NBA today better be able to shoot threes, handle the ball, or be an elite rim protector.  Or else they're irrelevant.

3-and-D, stretch 4s, and Golden State's Death Lineup are the present/future of basketball.

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

Yep, that article is dead-on.  Any 7-footer in the NBA today better be able to shoot threes, handle the ball, or be an elite rim protector.  Or else they're irrelevant.

3-and-D, stretch 4s, and Golden State's Death Lineup are the present/future of basketball.

Frankly the Okafor "thing" surprised and confused me.  (granted; I've never seen the guy play well among the few times I've seen him).  He had terrific accolades coming to college and while in college (albeit with some questions arising).  He did pretty well in his first year.  And then....bam, his effectiveness and usage went downhill.  Right now he isn't playing at all and is awaiting getting moved.  Its not only that they can't make a trade....nobody seems to be biting.  Cripes Philly is offering him for a 2nd round draft choice and while there are wondrous exceptions among 2nd round draft picks the vast majority aren't worth much.  Again it all surprised me.

The article about bigs, wings, and point guards was ostensibly about Tatum at Boston and about his coach's perspective.  That seems to tie in with Golden State as well.  Its being used more and more, but simply not as articulated or as effectively implemented in most other teams. 

The article does give reason and insight into Okafor's limited attractiveness to other teams if they are all trying to move in the direction of Golden State and Boston, even if not implementing it as well. 

8 hours ago, silentbob said:

Also the past, pre-George Mikan, who was at least partially responsible for 1) banning goaltending, 2) a wider key, and 3) the shot clock - you just never know what future rule changes might bring, and these rule changes might be brought on by players such as Stephen Curry. My guess is that public interest will, at some point, begin to wane when it  comes to people hurling in thirty-footers, and the NBA may, at some point, consider moving the three-point line back to even out the percentages with two-point shots - right now, it's skewed in favor of threes.

Remember Bob Gibson and his 1.12 ERA in 1968 - the following year, they lowered the pitcher's mound by five inches and shortened the strike zone (which makes Jim Palmer and his rising fastball all the more incredible, given that he did most of his damage in the 1970s).

Look at this video - man, these were the good-not-so-old days (no, I am *not* a Bill Laimbeer fan; in fact, I despise him, but it's worth watching the whole video just to see The Chief get his revenge-lick in):

Respectfully, saying that Golden State's Death Lineup is the present/future of basketball is like saying the 1927 Yankees are the present/future of baseball. Hell, they had Ruth and Gehrig - they were the best team, maybe the best team ever (behind the 1970 Orioles). :)

Smell the money, follow your nose,
the NBA, its future goes.

I find Golden States game fun to watch and well played basketball. Any team that whizzes the ball around on both the perimeter or the inside is fun to watch imho.  I’ve enjoyed watching that style for decades.

Relarive to that video and time period possibly the single greatest difference in the game between then and now is that then and for decades before and continuing into at least the early 2010’s the geography of the game was mostly played inside the 3 pt line with some long stretches played underneath the basket.  

Now the game stretches around the 3 pt line to underneath and there is very little of  the titanic struggles between big men all crowded down in the paint and beating the hell out of one another.  That too was entertaining including when big bruisers from Detroit and Boston would start fighting.

3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I guess Okafor will get his chance now.  I think The Nets are weak at center.  Meanwhile Booker is a former Wizard.  I recall that I don’t recall much of his game. I think he was a strong big man with solid hustle but no particular strengths that made him stand out

21 hours ago, Steve R. said:

Welcome to Brooklyn, home of underachieving stars.

Well except for Podres, Snider, Campanella, Hodges et al at This historic event

(I was too young to appreciate this but my older Brooklyn born and raised relatives ingrained it in my heart soul and memory)

---

After reading this article it appears this was a benign “nice” trade wherein not much “value” was traded but possibly it gives some recent draftees a shot at playing time with the Nets while Philly gets a player who can contribute solid minutes for 2 players who weren’t being used at all.

Not much to see here besides the fact that Okafor had a lot of name and promise and rep. Maybe this will be his chance.  Time will tell.