NiceDocter

Unreal flat tire story

Bet not many of you will have ever heard of this one!  My low tire pressure indicator on the dash came on when I started my car going to lunch today..... so I pulled into the gas station and filled all 4 tires up to 32 PSI ( which by the way costs a rip off $1.50 via credit card at the greasy air pump these days!!!)...... light still wouldnt go off!!  Hmmm...... maybe the air machine isnt working right...........drove to the post office, back to the hospital, light is still on, tires look a little low but seem OK....... went to another gas station and had to fish around for 4 quarters for this air machine...... pumped all 4 tires up to 34 PSI and the damned light is still on....... pulled out the owners manual and found a little button under the steering wheel to reset the tire pressure warning light..... AHAAAA.......did that 3 different times  and THE LIGHT IS STILL ON!!!   Now I figured the sensor in one of the wheels must be malfunctioning, but why today, the coldest day in a long time ( not freezing)..... so I called the tire place where I bought the tires and made an appointment...... drove the car in, expecting nothing good....... car was up on the rack for a while, then its down and I see the mechanic has my trunk emptied out on the floor.... OH HE MUST BE LOOKING FOR MY LOCKING LUG NUT ADAPTOR which I keep in the glove compartment, not in the trunk.......so I walk out to tell him where the adaptor is and he says you are all fixed, the light is off now...... and what was wrong????   " Oh, your spare tire in the trunk was low at 20 PSI ! So I put air in it and youre good to go!"  WTF, THE SPARE TIRE IN THE TRUNK WAS LOW ON AIR AND I GOT A WARNING LIGHT ON MY DASHBOARD????????  Yes, he says the wheel in the trunk has a chip that communicates with the car computer......GIVE ME A FREAKIN BREAK WHO WOULD HAVE EVER THOUGHT SOMETHING LIKE THAT EVEN EXISTED???????  Anyone else ever heard of anything like this before????? I am still shaking my head......................

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

in retrospect, was it at least a slightly different indicator than it would have been for a "real" tire?  if not, that is just ultra crazy

Funnier still is that you're probably going to start getting pop-up ads from Tire Rack (no, not because of us, but something *really* intrusive is happening on the internet these days). There must be key-stroke capture malware that gets reported to marketing agencies, because I sent an EMAIL about headphones to a friend, and starting getting ads for them.

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Funnier still is that you're probably going to start getting pop-up ads from Tire Rack (no, not because of us, but something *really* intrusive is happening on the internet these days). There must be key-stroke capture malware that gets reported to marketing agencies, because I sent an EMAIL about headphones to a friend, and starting getting ads for them.

If gmail was on one side of that equation, that's your answer.  Google makes so much money because their targeted ads are not guesswork.

20 hours ago, NiceDocter said:

Bet not many of you will have ever heard of this one!  My low tire pressure indicator on the dash came on when I started my car going to lunch today..... so I pulled into the gas station and filled all 4 tires up to 32 PSI ( which by the way costs a rip off $1.50 via credit card at the greasy air pump these days!!!)...... light still wouldnt go off!!  Hmmm...... maybe the air machine isnt working right...........drove to the post office, back to the hospital, light is still on, tires look a little low but seem OK....... went to another gas station and had to fish around for 4 quarters for this air machine...... pumped all 4 tires up to 34 PSI and the damned light is still on....... pulled out the owners manual and found a little button under the steering wheel to reset the tire pressure warning light..... AHAAAA.......did that 3 different times  and THE LIGHT IS STILL ON!!!   Now I figured the sensor in one of the wheels must be malfunctioning, but why today, the coldest day in a long time ( not freezing)..... so I called the tire place where I bought the tires and made an appointment...... drove the car in, expecting nothing good....... car was up on the rack for a while, then its down and I see the mechanic has my trunk emptied out on the floor.... OH HE MUST BE LOOKING FOR MY LOCKING LUG NUT ADAPTOR which I keep in the glove compartment, not in the trunk.......so I walk out to tell him where the adaptor is and he says you are all fixed, the light is off now...... and what was wrong????   " Oh, your spare tire in the trunk was low at 20 PSI ! So I put air in it and youre good to go!"  WTF, THE SPARE TIRE IN THE TRUNK WAS LOW ON AIR AND I GOT A WARNING LIGHT ON MY DASHBOARD????????  Yes, he says the wheel in the trunk has a chip that communicates with the car computer......GIVE ME A FREAKIN BREAK WHO WOULD HAVE EVER THOUGHT SOMETHING LIKE THAT EVEN EXISTED???????  Anyone else ever heard of anything like this before????? I am still shaking my head......................

"Later this year..."

Back on topic - yes, have heard of such a thing.  The tire (air) senesors (older) sometimes rely on revolutions to assess tire pressure - so if a tire is in the trunk, it is possible it does not register (not moving) on the car's diagnostic system when it has lower pressure; always a good idea to fill/check the spare when adding air to your tires.  If your car is newer, new (supposedly better technology) can measure tire pressure without physical movement of all tires.  Hence you can get low pressure warnings when you first start your car on a cold(er) day, but the warnings may go away when the tires (air) heat up from driving and the pressure increases enough to turn off the sensor(s).  The button under the steering wheel has multiple functions in addition to resetting the tire pressure sensors so be careful.  It can also reprogram your key fob and other functions which you may not want to mess with.