Lox Slicers

On 1/16/2007 at 4:02 PM, mame11 said:

Oh, I am jealous. I love going to New York with people who haven't been, or with kids who discover it for the first time. It is a magical place. You will be too cool for school if you return to Chicago with stuff from Zabars on your first trip.

Have a great time and stay warm.

There is a great story about the lox cutters at Zabars from a recent NYTimes article

I've been eating lox all my life but I'm not a maven nor have I incessantly purchased it all the time.  I had no idea about the volume of lox devoured around Yom Kippur, nor did I have any awareness of the esteem to which the best slicers are held.

The above story is great--a part of NY city and environs eating culture.  Astonishing that retired lox slicers are called in around the Jewish High Holy days to not only meet the extraordinary demand but to do so with expertise not found elsewhere. 

I haven't stopped at Zabar's in quite a few years.  I lived on the upper West Side for a while, after moving to DC I dated a woman on the upper West Side, and used to spend significant time at my ex MIL's in Manhattan.   All of those periods included many a visit to Zabar's, certainly a splendid food market.  Now this story is revealing way beyond my knowledge base.  

Here is to the slicers.   L'chaim.   Like incredible sushi chefs  fulfilling the desires of a demanding customer base.

On 10/10/2016 at 0:01 PM, DaveO said:

There is a great story about the lox cutters at Zabars from a recent NYTimes article

I've been eating lox all my life but I'm not a maven nor have I incessantly purchased it all the time.  I had no idea about the volume of lox devoured around Yom Kippur, nor did I have any awareness of the esteem to which the best slicers are held.

The above story is great--a part of NY city and environs eating culture.  Astonishing that retired lox slicers are called in around the Jewish High Holy days to not only meet the extraordinary demand but to do so with expertise not found elsewhere. 

I haven't stopped at Zabar's in quite a few years.  I lived on the upper West Side for a while, after moving to DC I dated a woman on the upper West Side, and used to spend significant time at my ex MIL's in Manhattan.   All of those periods included many a visit to Zabar's, certainly a splendid food market.  Now this story is revealing way beyond my knowledge base.  

Here is to the slicers.   L'chaim.   Like incredible sushi chefs  fulfilling the desires of a demanding customer base.

So many childhood memories!  When we would visit my grandparents on winter or spring break we would always take a trip to the Acme outlet.  My memory is of a packed warehouse storefront, filled with people waiting their turn for paper think hand sliced nova.  I remember watching in amazement as retired men would slice like a surgeon.  There was a variety if I recall correctly that was "Icelandic" (I will have to ask my dad).  It had a texture like silk and a very nuanced flavor.  When I look back at some of my posts on this site, it is amazing, the memories it conjures up.  I guess my younger years instilled certain values in the present me.  Regardless, thank you Don for providing an outlet to express some of my memories.

• Like 1

Just returned from a trip to Zabars and folks lined up for $48/lb hand sliced lox of different stripes.

Some slices  looked transparently thin, others not so much. Ordered a few knishes for old times' sake but either my memory distorts things or  my tastes have changed, but not impressed .

1 hour ago, naxos said:

Some slices  looked transparently thin, others not so much. Ordered a few knishes for old times' sake but either my memory distorts things or  my tastes have changed, but not impressed .

I got a Kasha Knish there once, and I was full for like, four days.