"Dune" (1984) Director David Lynch's Adaption of Frank Herbert's Science-Fiction Novel

DonRocks

6 hours ago, Steve R. said:

Great book.  Read it in High School, again in college, then at least 2 more times since.   The Middle East Other Worlds have always been complicated in both politics & religion(s).  If you want to really scratch your head, try reading all the sequels.  And, if you want simple (but very miserable), go for the movie (the one with Mr. Twin Peaks in it).

I saw the movie, and it was one of the worst films I've ever seen - In this interview with Charlie Rose, David Foster Wallace said the editors butchered the film to the point where it was incoherent. 

1 minute ago, DonRocks said:

I saw the movie, and it was one of the worst films I've ever seen - In this interview with Charlie Rose, David Foster Wallace said the editors butchered the film to the point where it was incoherent. 

Not even close to the worst sic-fi ever.  That gotta go to John Travolta bringing to the screen L.Ron Hubbard's "Battlefield Earth".  Oy veh.

1 hour ago, DanielK said:

Not even close. Though the film was fatally flawed, Stewart was far from terrible in it. He's done some serious stinkers, like Mastermind, Safe House, Dad Savage, Star Trek: Insurrection...

Correction: Dune *contained* Patrick Stewart's lowest moment.

For all who think "2001: A Space Odyssey" is genius, and who may (or may not) like "Dune," allow me to recommend "Solaris" by Andrei Tarkovsky. It is absolutely a peer with 2001, and I fully understand what that's saying. I'm not talking about the Stephen Soderbergh remake.