Utopia Bagels - Hand-Rolled, Kettle-Boiled Bagels Baked in a 1947 Oven - Utopia Parkway in Whitestone

The Absolute Best Bagel in New York, by Hugh Merwin, October 25, 2017, on grubstreet.com.

Funny coincidence. One of our favorite Szechuan  restaurants, called Legend of Taste,  is diagonally across the street  from #1 on that list, Utopia Bagels.  We’d never tried their bagels, so last time we went to the restaurant, we bought bagels to take home.  The texture of their bagels was better than any other place we’ve used in NY (& we’ve had a lot of bagels!) but, weirdly, they were all virtually tasteless!  Kind of shocking.  We’ll try again next time we’re in the area - maybe they just forgot to add the flavor packet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve R. said:

Funny coincidence. One of our favorite Szechuan  restaurants, called Legend of Taste,  is diagonally across the street  from #1 on that list, Utopia Bagels.  We’d never tried their bagels, so last time we went to the restaurant, we bought bagels to take home.  The texture of their bagels was better than any other place we’ve used in NY (& we’ve had a lot of bagels!) but, weirdly, they were all virtually tasteless!  Kind of shocking.  We’ll try again next time we’re in the area - maybe they just forgot to add the flavor packet.

I'd consider texture at least 80% of the quality score.  OTOH I can't recall getting bagels completely lacking in taste.  Weird. 

Overall the place has great reviews and there is a chowhound thread about their quality; the original posting date was 2004.  (staying power)

Well, I’ll bet I can get you to reduce that 80%.  Even if you’re a real “texture more than flavor” type guy, that’s a high number.  And, yes, it’s the general consensus on CH, Mouthfulsfood & other highly respected sources of NYC food knowledge (hey - I’m on those boards, how can it be otherwise) that it’s great.  That’s why we went & probably why we’ll try again.  I just hope the emperor at least puts on some underwear next time.

1 hour ago, Steve R. said:

Well, I’ll bet I can get you to reduce that 80%.  Even if you’re a real “texture more than flavor” type guy, that’s a high number.  And, yes, it’s the general consensus on CH, Mouthfulsfood & other highly respected sources of NYC food knowledge (hey - I’m on those boards, how can it be otherwise) that it’s great.  That’s why we went & probably why we’ll try again.  I just hope the emperor at least puts on some underwear next time.

80% could be high, but I’m mostly about texture and I can’t recall a flavored bagel of any kind where the taste was missing. That is just weird.

Hope they do a better job next time.