Hammerdown BBQ -- Smoked Meats in the old British Pantry Space - Aldie, VA

Opening in late November comes an exciting new entrant to the Loudoun County dining scene.  Located near Lenah Run, west of Stone Ridge, this BBQ joint is one to keep an eye on.  As far as I can tell, the owner used to have a successful food truck and leveraged that to open this store front location.  I happened to be at Gilbert's Corner this weekend to pick up some pastries from Arno's.  On my way back I saw this place had opened, and the parking lot had filled up.  Intrigued, I dropped in to give it a try.

They sell brisket, pulled pork, chicken, ribs and smoked sausage along with several sides.  The weather was too cold and the ribs weren't done yet so I tried the brisket, sausage and pulled pork.  Everything was excellent.  The brisket and pulled pork were very moist and flavorful.  We normally go to Willards for BBQ and we liked Hammerdown's brisket and pulled pork better.  The sausage was about the same.  For sides we tried the beans and the mac and cheese which were also good.

I'm looking forward to going back and encourage everyone out in that neck of the woods to give it a try.  Call ahead to make sure they are open.  It looks like they're not open everyday (which is probably a good thing).  

12 hours ago, ulrath said:

Opening in late November comes an exciting new entrant to the Loudoun County dining scene.  Located near Lenah Run, west of Stone Ridge, this BBQ joint is one to keep an eye on.  As far as I can tell, the owner used to have a successful food truck and leveraged that to open this store front location.  I happened to be at Gilbert's Corner this weekend to pick up some pastries from Arno's.  On my way back I saw this place had opened, and the parking lot had filled up.  Intrigued, I dropped in to give it a try.

They sell brisket, pulled pork, chicken, ribs and smoked sausage along with several sides.  The weather was too cold and the ribs weren't done yet so I tried the brisket, sausage and pulled pork.  Everything was excellent.  The brisket and pulled pork were very moist and flavorful.  We normally go to Willards for BBQ and we liked Hammerdown's brisket and pulled pork better.  The sausage was about the same.  For sides we tried the beans and the mac and cheese which were also good.

I'm looking forward to going back and encourage everyone out in that neck of the woods to give it a try.  Call ahead to make sure they are open.  It looks like they're not open everyday (which is probably a good thing).  

Thanks for the good report. Have you tried the brisket at Mission BBQ in Greenbriar? The lean is my go-to (incredible protein bomb). Definitely need to try Hammerdown too. I'm hoping the increased competition gives Willard's some impetus to up their game.

Have not tried Mission but I have heard good things.  I want to try their Baby Backs at some point as I am a big fan of those.

Back to Hammerdown though.  Went back today.  I've lived in NOVA most of my life.  I've eaten BBQ in Texas, North Carolina, Kansas City and Alabama.  I'll say it right now.  Best ribs I've had in Northern Virginia.  Hands down.  Better than Dixie Bones.  Better than Willard's.  Absolutely incredible.  Apparently the word is out about this place as they were mobbed.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ulrath said:

Have not tried Mission but I have heard good things.  I want to try their Baby Backs at some point as I am a big fan of those.

Back to Hammerdown though.  Went back today.  I've lived in NOVA most of my life.  I've eaten BBQ in Texas, North Carolina and Alabama.  I'll say it right now.  Best ribs I've had in Northern Virginia.  Hands down.  Better than Dixie Bones.  Better than Willards.  Absolutely incredible.  Apparently the word is out about this place as they were mobbed.  

Thanks Ulrath. I need to simply make a plan to get over there -- early in the day of course. I actually had Mission today since I was in the area and had missed breakfast. I again got the lean brisket, which was quite good, but a little dry as it was in fact quite lean. For flavor I'd go for the fattier brisket. Have not tried their ribs. 

Maybe Hammerdown can take some of the pressure off the Pit Stop up the road at Gilbert's Corner. I haven't had their cue in a while since the line generally is long and their pace is somewhat leisurely. But still, being able to get bbq this good (Hammerdown or Pit Stop) and then finish your meal with world-class french pastry from Arno's -- that's pretty remarkable.

If you are a BBQ fan, you really need to make the trip out to try it. I've been once, and had the brisket platter and asked for the fatty side. Extremely tender and smoked with care. Not a lot of bark on it, so it's nothing like the brisket at Texas Jacks in Arlington which I like very much. They have piles of wood stacked to the right of the entrance, so it was a great sign. Service was great as well and they provided some free samples of chicken and sausage.  Give em a try, I don't think you will be disappointed.