Rasa Grill, Fast-Casual, Indian-Based, Locally Sourced Bowls near The Yards Park

Rasa Grill opened in SE in Navy Yard in December. It's fast casual Indian (or more like Indian-ish), locally sourced ingredients, and some fun fusion (Masala Gin Tonic!). They have pre-made bowls, or you can make your own. Really beautiful space, fun colors, neat design. Great back story, too. They made Eater's hot list for this month and review have been good. 

Anyway, I won't say too much, since I'm an investor, except that I think it's pretty darn tasty, and you should try it out and let me know what you think!

• Like 1

F1RST Residences is the new building behind The Hampton Inn, as seen from Nationals Park. Thankfully, it is going to add new food options to take into games. Rasa will be joined by Taylor Gourmet, Chop't, Chipotle, Roti and Declaration. If any can prove to be quick, tasty, portable alternatives to Park food - they will do very well.

Don -- I remember you posted instructions to miniaturize pictures, but can't find it now. Please minimize for me.

Map from F1RST website: www.f1rstdc.com/neighborhood/

F1RST_Neighborhood.jpg

On 1/8/2018 at 10:48 AM, Simul Parikh said:

Anyway, I won't say too much, since I'm an investor, except that I think it's pretty darn tasty, and you should try it out and let me know what you think!

Much success to you..the food and reviews look great. I'll try to make it out in the next coming weeks.

February 1 & 9, 2018

BEST Restaurant in Navy Yard!! So damn delicious!!

open sesame.jpg

OPEN SESAME 2728.png1f4af.png💯2728.png
lamb kebab | peanut sesame sauce | basmati rice | charred eggplant | cucumber cubes | pickled onions | mint cilantro chutney | mango coconut yogurt | microgreens | lentil crisp...ADDED mango salsa | pickled radish | tamarind ginger chutney | tamarind coconut powder!!!

home cooking.jpg

HOME COOKING BOWL2728.png1f4af.png💯2728.png turmeric ginger shrimp, tamarind chili sauce, South Indian rice noodles, tossed green beans, mango salsa, tamarind coconut powder, lentil crisp, tamarind ginger chutney, mango coconut yogurt!!!

• Like 1

Inspired by the pictures above, I finally got there this week, and it seems like the best of the casual-modular food places I’ve tried.  I chose my own ingredients and they came out well, but I will try one of their suggested combos next time.  The only lackluster element was the naan, which was a bit more like a pita bread.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

Inspired by the pictures above, I finally got there this week, and it seems like the best of the casual-modular food places I’ve tried. 

Have you tried Chaia? If Rasa is playing at this level, I'm going to make a special effort to get there sooner rather than later.

I think their pre-made bowls are best... it’s sort of hard to make the ingredients make sense to together (at least it has been for me). 

As far as growth, without speaking directly for them, they are so focused on quality and making sure this place is and stays great before growing, to the delight and chagrin of the investors. It will be a while before location two opens. They are remarkably sensible for 26 year olds. 

• Like 2

We got our first taste of Rasa late last week (delivered, there was some special that popped up on Caviar or some such).  I'll echo the above that this may be the best fast casual option we've tried in DC.  Two of the pre-made bowls had a surprising amount of kick to them that I didn't get from the menu descriptions, and not only in the chutneys, but from several ingredients. I loved it all, but one was too much for my wife to finish (Open Sesame, maybe?  I don't recall now what we ordered).

I would have loved to have tried some of the apps and naan.  In fact we tried to try some apps and naan!  The delivery came without those items, even though they were clearly marked on the delivery receipt.  They were very apologetic and the refund was immediate, but the delivery person said that this has been a recurring issue.  Hopefully they can get their expo problems sorted out.  It's at the top of my list for any pre-Nats meal going forward.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:18 PM, Simul Parikh said:

I think their pre-made bowls are best... it’s sort of hard to make the ingredients make sense to together (at least it has been for me).  

I got to Rasa for the first time yesterday on my way to an afternoon game in Nats Park. I ordered the Open Sesame and was rewarded with a large, nicely packed bowl with fresh lamb meatballs and a riot of flavors and textures (will make sure to have the eggplant again). It traveled well to the Park and the (nice, but kicking) spice level benefited from being accompanied by a cold District Draft. Next time, I'll try one of the other set bowls on the menu.  

Upon arrival, I was told it was their 6-month anniversary. Definitely wish them well.

We finally made it to Rasa about a month ago and forgot to write it up.

I think the Vinod Brothers are trying to bring a high level of quality food down into the fast casual restaurant scene. It many ways they have succeeded bringing more flavorful tastes to the masses. Their approach to reinventing Indian style cuisine reminded me of Banyan Tree South Asian Grill in Fairfax, VA. Unfortunately Banyan Tree has closed down and basically was operating as an Indian Chipotle. Rasa definitely is more ambitious in the scope of their agenda and brings more sharpness to the flavors and a higher quality of ingredients. They have a diversity of items in their menu which is pretty remarkable for fast casual as everything is made fresh. 

Service was very good and the space is warm and inviting. It was a little on the expensive for fast casual but good value for the quality.

Rasa and Indigo are pretty good for eating Indian food outside the house in DC. 

Rasa took over the empty space left behind by Taylor Gourmet in the City Vista. While we miss Taylor, Rasa is a welcome addition to the neighborhood. @MichaelBDC have picked up lunch here twice since it has opened and enjoyed our meals both times. The Home Cooking with turmeric ginger shrimp over rice noodles has been my favorite so far even though I was a little hesitant to order shrimp at a fast casual place. I also liked the Tikka Chance on Me although I found the chicken to be a little dry. Michael ordered the Open Sesame his first go round and loved the lamb meatballs although he commented that there was too much eggplant. More recently, he had the Eat Your Veggies which he loved. Bowls are in the $11-13 range but they are VERY filling. Looking forward to more lunch trips to Rasa as we work from home for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 2