Caboose Brewing Co. in Vienna

aspgirl99

Caboose Brewing Co. in Vienna is a local brewery/restaurant.  It is an a very non-descript and industrial looking parking area.  You have to pay close attention to the sign to see the arrow for the establishment.

Once inside it has a very industrial and modern look and feel.  There is a bar and seating upstairs and downstairs. We stayed downstairs. I went with a group from work.  There were seven of us.  We got a table.  The waitress explained that they brew 15 different beers in the brewery.  You can see the brewery through the glass wall behind the bar.  They also have a good selection of local wine.  

I didn't drink beer, but my colleagues did.  They said the standouts were the Vanilla Bean Stout, Dutchess Porter, Crossroads Vienna Lager, and the Boxcar Brown Ale.  I had the root beer pure can soda and a co-worker had the ginger ale.  We both enjoyed them.  You can really taste the vanilla and anise in the root beer.

We also had food.  The food was average in my opinion and my co-workers agreed.  The risotto I had was woefully under-seasoned, it lacked even basic salt.  I also had the pork belly, and that OK, but also not very flavorful, but seasoned more than the risotto.  We all agreed that the best thing we had on the menu was the fries (called "hand cut potato frites).  Out table also had the chicken thigh, mac and cheese, "Big Mac" burger, roasted mushrooms, and the mussels.  The people who had the burger, loved it.  

I found the service to be a bit rushed and the restaurant was extremely crowded, which made it very loud. Not a place for a romantic or intimate meal at all.  If you just want good beer and some fries at the bar (it is very hard to find a space at the bar), I would try it in the off hours.

This thread might get a little more active in the near future, in that Caboose is building out a brewpub at the Mosaic District, which will be a little more accessible than their current location (although if you are a biker, the current location can't be beat).

Their beers used to be mediocre-to-bad, notwithstanding that the brewer had some credentials from somewhere.  They seem to be improving, and I am pretty sure that I heard that they have fresh blood in the brewing operation.

They used to only offer the burger on Tuesdays, but as of about two weeks ago, it was added to the regular menu.  I need to get in there and try it.

On 1/23/2018 at 2:01 PM, JBag57 said:

This thread might get a little more active in the near future, in that Caboose is building out a brewpub at the Mosaic District, which will be a little more accessible than their current location (although if you are a biker, the current location can't be beat).

Their beers used to be mediocre-to-bad, notwithstanding that the brewer had some credentials from somewhere.  They seem to be improving, and I am pretty sure that I heard that they have fresh blood in the brewing operation.

They used to only offer the burger on Tuesdays, but as of about two weeks ago, it was added to the regular menu.  I need to get in there and try it.

Mosaic District location opening very soon.  The patio tables were set up outside as of Saturday and everything looks ready to go.  It's just outside the main Mosaic quadrant, at Strawberry & Eskridge, across the street just west of MOM's.