Scrapple. I love it. It makes me wonder why more places do not serve it. Up until recently I have never heard of ketchup as a condiment for scrapple. I am with the maple syrup camp in terms of condiments, but people tell me that Heinz ketchup is the way to go. But reading this piece, I may just want to eat scrapple with apple butter instead. So many possibilities. 

On 1/24/2018 at 10:08 AM, kitkatpaddywak said:

Scrapple. I love it. It makes me wonder why more places do not serve it. Up until recently I have never heard of ketchup as a condiment for scrapple. I am with the maple syrup camp in terms of condiments, but people tell me that Heinz ketchup is the way to go. But reading this piece, I may just want to eat scrapple with apple butter instead. So many possibilities. 

Oof, I'm strongly in the maple syrup camp (although when you think about it, scapple is a loaf made from sweeping the slaughterhouse floor, so does it really matter?)

May I suggest Dutch Eating Place in the Reading Terminal Market for your scrapple needs? If I recall, they also serve real maple syrup for a small supplement (non-negotiable).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

Oof, I'm strongly in the maple syrup camp (although when you think about it scapple is a loaf made from sweeping the slaughterhouse floor, so does it really matter?)

May I suggest Dutch Eating Place in the Reading Terminal Market for your scrapple needs? If I recall, they also serve real maple syrup for a small supplement (non-negotiable).

Reading about the serving of maple syrup over scrapple has me scratching my head as to the origin of how it was ever added in the first place? I must investigate. 

Food folklorist,

kat

History of Scapple. No explanation of why maple syrup other than it is delicious, but here is another reference to scrapple being served with apples. I must try it next time with a service of stewed apples. A publication on the history of food  provides a rich resource on food folklore for any of  you geeks who enjoy that sorta thing.:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, kitkatpaddywak said:

Reading about the serving of maple syrup over scrapple has me scratching my head as to the origin of how it was ever added in the first place? I must investigate. 

Food folklorist,

kat

My guess is that naked scrapple has such a strong taste of offal that it needs something really sweet to neutralize it, and perhaps the Pennsylvania Dutch had access to maple trees.

I think Filipino banana ketchup might work well, although I don't know why that just popped into my head.

I suspect the vacuum-packed loaves you buy at the supermarket have a fair amount of non-animal filler, so they're milder.

Great timing on this post. A group of friends host food "paloozas" routinely with some theme, typically meat based. Last weekend was porkapalooza. What began as a joke about someone bringing scrapple ended up in a quite delicious scrapple dish. Said friend made what I would essentially describe as bruschetta with seared scrapple on it (seared scrapple on a crostini with a topping of cherry tomatoes, evoo, vinegar, and garlic). It came from the idea of the ketchup/scrapple pairing, which I had actually never heard of either, but I also didn't grow up in this area so scrapple was completely foreign to me until I moved here.

• Like 1

I love this description of scrapple by KN:

Growing up in Lancaster, PA, fine dining was scrapple WITH ketchup....but Haydn Zug's in East Petersburg was as good as it got.

Oh that makes me laugh.  My personal idea of fine dining with scrapple would be, when nobody was looking I would take the plate of scrapple and use my fork to drop it under the table (preferably into a pre set container).   Then I'd put the plate back on the table and exclaim that it was the best scrapple I had ever had.  If someone offered seconds I'd have to politely decline as the initial delectable meal was remarkably filling.  ;)

Sincerely,

Life long scrapple hater.

On 1/26/2018 at 11:36 AM, DonRocks said:

My guess is that naked scrapple has such a strong taste of offal that it needs something really sweet to neutralize it, and perhaps the Pennsylvania Dutch had access to maple trees.

I think Filipino banana ketchup might work well, although I don't know why that just popped into my head.

I suspect the vacuum-packed loaves you buy at the supermarket have a fair amount of non-animal filler, so they're milder.

I actually never thought of scrapple as having a particularly "offal-y" taste to it.  For me it was more a textural thing (crisp exterior, almost melting interior).  For me, as my food tastes of evolved, I've thought of it as basically a fried rillette.

I believe Red Apron at times has a pretty solid version - anyone else know any reliable places in the Arlington (preferably) area that crank scrapple out as I now have a craving 😎