The Cleveland Orchestra (1918-) - Music Director Franz Welser-Möst's World-Class Symphony Orchestra

Sasha K

3 hours ago, Sasha K said:

Let us travel back in time.

May 26, 1982 - "As Maazel Leaves, Cleveland Orchestra Still Best in U.S." by Thor Eckert, Jr. on csmonitor.com

This raises the question: Is Cleveland's reputation Szell-driven, or Maazel-driven? Or both, or neither? (George Szell was Music Director of Cleveland from 1946-1970 - that's one heck of a long time not to have some long-term influence.) Did Szell lure Maazel there, and/or make it palatable for him to come?

Cleveland (and much of my family lived in Cleveland) is a very odd place to have "the best orchestra in America" - I'm generally not a fan of such bold proclamations (which is a total lie - I make them all the time, but I don't take them particularly seriously).

Serious question: Would LeBron James be playing for the Cavaliers if it weren't for George Szell? This is not as outlandish a proposition as one might think.

Closer to the bone, would the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame be there?

On 1/28/2018 at 10:19 PM, DonRocks said:

This raises the question: Is Cleveland's reputation Szell-driven, or Maazel-driven? Or both, or neither? (George Szell was Music Director of Cleveland from 1946-1970 - that's one heck of a long time not to have some long-term influence.) Did Szell lure Maazel there, and/or make it palatable for him to come?

Cleveland (and much of my family lived in Cleveland) is a very odd place to have "the best orchestra in America" - I'm generally not a fan of such bold proclamations (which is a total lie - I make them all the time, but I don't take them particularly seriously).

Serious question: Would LeBron James be playing for the Cavaliers if it weren't for George Szell? This is not as outlandish a proposition as one might think.

Closer to the bone, would the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame be there?

Off the top of my head, Cleveland's reputation is Szell and Christoph von Dohnányi-driven.