Blue Bottle Coffee - An Oakland-Based Chain of Coffee Boutiques Owned by Nestlé

On 1/21/2018 at 5:44 PM, aspgirl99 said:

Found this neat little coffee shop in Georgetown.  Very small and almost hidden.  No parking.  Very modern feel to the shop - very light and airy.  I didn't have the coffee.  I had the iced tea and it was fresh brewed to order.  People in the shop said the coffee is fantastic, that it has almost a cult following.

Blue Bottle Coffee

I was in San Francisco the weekend before last and grabbed a cup from here while ambling around the ferry station at the waterfront (it had a line even though there were probably 5-6 other places serving coffee so I figured it must have some level of quality).  Very good cup of Colombian coffee - not the best I'd ever had or anything but I can't recall anything I've had recently that was better from a coffee shop.  If I were in the area I'd absolutely grab a cup.

On 1/30/2018 at 9:28 AM, FranklinDubya said:

I was in San Francisco the weekend before last and grabbed a cup from here while ambling around the ferry station at the waterfront (it had a line even though there were probably 5-6 other places serving coffee so I figured it must have some level of quality).  Very good cup of Colombian coffee - not the best I'd ever had or anything but I can't recall anything I've had recently that was better from a coffee shop.  If I were in the area I'd absolutely grab a cup.

For such a large company, Nestlé does very well at making coffee, right down to their "Nespresso Machines" that you sometimes see in hotels (they're not bad at all - I've seen them in San Francisco, and I've seen them in France). I guess the Swiss take some pride in their coffee, because I've been consistently impressed with these make-your-own, robotic machines. We have a couple Blue Bottle Coffee shops here in DC (Georgetown, Union Market), and I'm looking forward to trying it.

On 2/8/2018 at 3:46 AM, DonRocks said:

For such a large company, Nestlé does very well at making coffee, right down to their "Nespresso Machines" that you sometimes see in hotels (they're not bad at all - I've seen them in San Francisco, and I've seen them in France). I guess the Swiss take some pride in their coffee, because I've been consistently impressed with these make-your-own, robotic machines. We have a couple Blue Bottle Coffee shops here in DC (Georgetown, Union Market), and I'm looking forward to trying it.

I didn't know they were owned by Nestle but I guess it makes sense given the sleek design and on point heavy branding, but also agreed on Nespresso machines which are quite good.  I will say my palate for coffee is sort of less keen these days mainly because we have free kureig coffee in my office means that now when I drink almost anything else it tastes great by comparison... still though, at minimum this place's brew was way above average at least.

2 hours ago, FranklinDubya said:

I didn't know they were owned by Nestle but I guess it makes sense given the sleek design and on point heavy branding

I think the Nestle acquisition happened only within the past several months. Blue Bottle had been the same successful design and brand for years before that.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I think the Nestle acquisition happened only within the past several months. Blue Bottle had been the same successful design and brand for years before that.

Nestlé is a very, very large company, actually the largest food company in the world. They do almost $3billion in water business yearly because they own 38 brands (Evian, Perrier, Panna, San Pelegrino, +++) and a surpising number of food businesses. Much more than Swiss Miss.