Delmonico's - Revival of America's Most Historic Restaurant, 56 Beaver Street in the Financial District

On 9/7/2013 at 8:49 PM, Steve R. said:

I think that Delmonico's dates back to the earlier 1800s

On 9/7/2013 at 6:48 PM, DonRocks said:

1827 - Delmonico's (23 William St. destroyed in 1835, revived at 56 Beaver St., origin of several dishes, 1st U.S. à la carte menu and wine list)

I've been reading about the convoluted history behind Delmonico's, and although complex, it's almost funny how historic this institution is: Inventors (or claimed inventors) of Delmonico Steak, Chicken à la King, Eggs Benedict, Lobster Newburg, and Baked Alaska; the first à la carte menu in a restaurant (as opposed to the table d'hôte formula), the first separate wine list, patrons including Abraham Lincoln and Mark Twain, and apparently the first restaurant to seat women in separate parties.

Granted, the current iteration has absolutely *nothing* to do with the original, which opened in 1827, but the new owners - currently a partnership called "Ocinomled, Ltd." - have attempted to recreate the atmosphere and feel.

Their Wikipedia entry alone is worth a read - I don't know anyone who has actually eaten here, but it seems to still be very popular among tourists seeking a little slice of our nation's culinary history.

Given that the location and ownership have nothing to do with the original, it probably shouldn't be included in our Oldest Restaurants List, but how do you leave it off? Ironically, the current website - full of puffery - has the opening date wrong by ten years.