Congratulations to the Philadelphia Eagles - From All of Us!

18 minutes ago, Josh Radigan said:

on top of the world this morning. What a game. 

I suppose rooting against the Patriots does not put one in the same category as fervently rooting for Philadelphia.  Great game.  Congrats to the Eagles and to Eagles fans everywhere!!!!  That was a very exciting game.  The offenses were unstoppable minus one play from about 150 plays.  Really great game.

On 2/4/2018 at 10:20 PM, DonRocks said:
16 hours ago, DanielK said:

Note - first Super Bowl, not first NFL title. They won NFL titles in '48, '49, and '60, before it was called the Super Bowl.

16 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Nobody said anything to provoke this arcane piece of trivia. :P

I was responding to the first line in the topic...

This right here has me at a loss. Although my home resides in South Central Pa, and the acceptance of a writing gig about the beloved city , I would gladly CHOOSE to live in Philly. We deserved that win over the Patriots. The Eagles rose to the challenge, and earned a victory in the form of the Lombardi trophy. Sure this won't change how the inhabitants are viewed, but it certainly should. Don't underestimate the hunger to prove the naysayers wrong. 

Philly, Philly,

kat

A strange thing happened to me when the Red Sox finally won their first World Series since 1918 in 2004: I became less interested in the team. I'm still a fan and I'll always root for the Red Sox, but I used to watch every possible game from April to September (whenever they were on national TV or playing the Orioles), and now I really can't get too interested until the playoffs chase starts (if the Red Sox are in the mix). One of my friends called me a foulweather fan.

I think something similar happened to what the author described in the Post article about Eagles fans: I was so used to being an underdog that winning has an adverse effect on me, at least in terms of my passion for the team. (Don't get me wrong -- I was VERY happy when the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004, especially after the 2003 debacle.)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, dracisk said:

A strange thing happened to me when the Red Sox finally won their first World Series since 1918 in 2004: I became less interested in the team. I'm still a fan and I'll always root for the Red Sox, but I used to watch every possible game from April to September (whenever they were on national TV or playing the Orioles), and now I really can't get too interested until the playoffs chase starts (if the Red Sox are in the mix). One of my friends called me a foulweather fan.

I think something similar happened to what the author described in the Post article about Eagles fans: I was so used to being an underdog that winning has an adverse effect on me, at least in terms of my passion for the team. (Don't get me wrong -- I was VERY happy when the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004, especially after the 2003 debacle.)

Let me tell you about this team called the Redskins...

If anyone didn't see the SNL skit on the Patriots vs. Eagles, from before the game, you should go back and watch it.  I will admit that Hubby and I may be a bit more of colonial history nerds than others, but both his office and mine, separate of us seeing it, sent it around.  I was at the opening of the new Revolutionary War Theater at Mount Vernon and one point couldn't help but giggle and think about Captain Brady.

• Like 1

My wife and I went to the parade yesterday and let me just say this, no matter the victory last Sunday, the team and it’s fans still think people don’t give them any respect. I am a native of the DC area, grew up in Arlington, went to Yorktown High School. Not having been raised in the Philly area I get it now. It’s in their bloodlines to Bleed Green. It’s like someone said to me a long time ago. Most families spend whatever savings the put away for the year on two things. Eagles season tickets and a week at the Jersey Shore. Eagles fans don’t believe that winning is owed to them but yet earned. Oddly enough my closest friends who are Skins fans have a very different mentality. They constantly talk about the Skins and how they seemingly feel that they are owed reverence or even victories.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dracisk said:

They say that, for generals, the only thing more lonely than losing a war, is winning a war.

(Actually, they don't, but it's something similar to that.)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DaveO said:

Philadelphia had an awesome celebration

The lines for the Porta Potties at the end of that clip ...

42 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

Let me tell you about this team called the Redskins...

The Redskins won the Super Bowl three times in the 80s and 90s! Many diehard Red Sox fans never saw them win the World Series in their lifetimes.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2018 at 2:05 PM, Josh Radigan said:

My wife and I went to the parade yesterday and let me just say this, no matter the victory last Sunday, the team and it’s fans still think people don’t give them any respect. I am a native of the DC area, grew up in Arlington, went to Yorktown High School. Not having been raised in the Philly area I get it now. It’s in their bloodlines to Bleed Green. It’s like someone said to me a long time ago. Most families spend whatever savings the put away for the year on two things. Eagles season tickets and a week at the Jersey Shore. Eagles fans don’t believe that winning is owed to them but yet earned. Oddly enough my closest friends who are Skins fans have a very different mentality. They constantly talk about the Skins and how they seemingly feel that they are owed reverence or even victories.

Josh, Philadelphia will need to establish sustained excellence in order to get the level of respect they want. Believe me, I went 35 years without a Clemson National Championship, so I saw things go from "lack of respect" (*), to "a respectful nod," to "moderate levels of respect," to "these guys aren't going away," to "this is an elite program built for sustained excellence."

Unfortunately, it takes a few years of consistent success - it doesn't mean they need to win the Super Bowl each year, but they need to be a playoff team almost every year - if they can do this, you'll notice a gradual accumulation of respect over 3-4 years, I promise you. It took Clemson three years of getting into the CFP semifinals (one loss in the finals, one national championship, and one loss in the semifinals) - now they're mentioned in the same breath with Alabama (and Ohio State and Georgia aren't far behind).

(*) There used to be a verb, "Clemsoning," which meant "beating a great team, and then losing to a no-name team afterwards, for no good reason." The word had gained traction at the national level, and Clemson's coach, Dabo Swinney, knew what he needed to do in order to remove that word from the lexicon, once-and-for-all: After this tirade, virtually nobody ever used it again - the reporter was absolutely used as a sacrificial lamb (the thing is, it was a legitimate question, and Swinney was also correct in the content of his response, although I'm glad for the reporter's sake that he was off-camera - for those of you just being introduced to Swinney, this rant is so out-of-character for him that it was as if a gentle animal went rabid - it shocked everyone into silence.

(I don't mean to hijack the Eagles' thread, but sustained excellence, and perhaps a "seminal moment" such as this, is what it will take for them to gain genuine respect over the long-haul - but once its there, it will tend to remain, perhaps even longer than it should.)

On 2/10/2018 at 1:41 PM, DonRocks said:

Josh, Philadelphia will need to establish sustained excellence in order to get the level of respect they want ... Unfortunately, it takes a few years of consistent success - it doesn't mean they need to win the Super Bowl each year, but they need to be a playoff team almost every year

No NFL team meets this standard unless you significantly narrow the window.  In the Super Bowl era (52 years), I think only three teams have made the playoffs even more than half of the time, and we're talking not much more than half -- Cowboys (32 playoff appearances), Steelers (30), and Vikings (29).

Success in this league is fleeting due to structural parity and the salary cap.  Even current "powerhouses" like the Patriots, who have made the playoffs the last 9 years (and 14 out of the last 15), didn't make the playoffs for the first time until 1976 and not at all between 1987-1993.  College football, where the concept of parity is laughable if not outright discouraged, is a completely different animal.

On 2/12/2018 at 3:32 PM, silentbob said:

No NFL team meets this standard unless you significantly narrow the window.  In the Super Bowl era (52 years), I think only three teams have made the playoffs even more than half of the time, and we're talking not much more than half -- Cowboys (32 playoff appearances), Steelers (30), and Vikings (29).

I apologize for my ambiguity: I meant "make the playoff almost every year [for 3-4 years]." That implication was in my mind when I wrote it, but I didn't put pencil to paper until the second half of the sentence, which was poor writing.