4 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

I had TJ's jackfruit-in-the-can. It was semi-tasteless with a sour finish. If that's what jackfruit really tastes like, I'll pass....

I bought this on a whim the last time I was at TJ's. It is sitting in my pantry, unopened, because I don't know what to do with it...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Smita Nordwall said:

Not with the canned jackfruit. These call for ripe jackfruit, which is sweet. The canned stuff is young or unripe jackfruit which is suitable only for savory dishes. 

This sounds like a parallel situation with cooking bananas: Most of us are familiar with "a side order of platanos" at Peruvian Pollo a la Brasa houses, which are mushy and fairly sweet (the platanos; not the Pollo a la Brasa houses), but certain countries - I'm thinking Panama - use unripe plaintains in cooked dishes quite a bit, and they are pretty awesome.

Matt's first nanny was from Panama, and man could she cook - she used unripe platanos all the time. I also made the mistake of taking her family out to Rio Grande for ceviche - you've never seen such "polite looks of disgust" in your life (I've since learned that the worst ceviche in coastal Panama is pretty much better than anything we can get here).

• Like 1

There's a number of Indian Jain dishes  that use unripe bananas or plantains instead of potatoes.  I think they're only OK, but then again I really like potatoes and dislike the hints of sweet sometimes plantains  have

tjs also  has a curry-I think it's thai-in the freezer section that uses jackfruit. I've never had cooked jackfruit before and it didn't impress me, but I realize it might have a lot to do with the application there 

I've seen a few different preps of it at Whole Foods in vacuum bags in the refrigerated section -- BBQ, Tex-Mex, something else.  Tried one and it was okay but nothing special.  I think it was the Tex-Mex flavor.  It tasted mostly of lime & cilantro; the jackfruit was more of a texture than a flavor.

I gotta say that it's apparently a love-it-or-hate-it fruit.  I've always loved its tropical esters, but it turns out that gubeen doesn't.  So when I brought home one of those quarter-fruit chunks from an Asian supermarket, she complained about the heady aroma, and I ended up eating it all by myself.

She's lucky that I'm not so keen on durian!

And it wasn't nearly as messy as I had feared.  I'd previously only had canned jackfruit, and my South Asian friends had told me all sorts of stories about its stickyness and using oil, or taking it apart submerged in water, but ultimately I ended up hovering over the sink with the chunk of fruit and pigging out over a few sessions.  Here's the thing - you're only eating the ripe arils surrounding each seed, which resemble juicy multilayered flower petals, but the whole damn "fruit" is actually a "multiple fruit" of arils surrounding their respective seeds.  The chunk I chose must have ended up being something like 90% ripe jackfruit by volume; there was little more than the outer hull remaining when it was over.  Pluck out a drupe, pop out the seed, eat, eat some more arils that you missed, repeat.