Golden Bagels & Coffee - Bagels and House-Cured Fish with Katz's Coffee in The Heights

Josh

I patiently waited for a legit bagel place to open near me in DC, and one did (Bullfrog Bagels)...less than a year before we moved away to Houston. Underwhelmed with what folks called the "best" bagels in Houston (Hot Bagel Shop), we began patiently waiting again.

Reader, my wait is over. Golden Bagels is the real deal.  Perhaps the realest deal I've had since Pick-A-Bagel.  I've had both the everything and the sesame. My standards.  Firm. Chewy, but not overly dense.  These aren't shitty coffee cart bread circles.  The spreads are all made in house, and more than get the job done.  Sesame bagel + scallion is my #1, followed closely by everything + lox cream cheese.  The bialy we tried was a little too puffy for my tastes, but YMMV.

They recently launched lunch, which is sure to be popular among the Heights crowd as well.  My "build your own reuben" with an everything bagel + pastrami + sauerkraut + mustard was delicious.  The pastrami is sliced thin and griddled with melty Swiss cheese.  The top/bottom of the bagel is sliced off to give a flat sandwich service.