Snake Hill - Brews and Brats (and All Other Manner of Wursts) in Highlandtown

Needed to start a thread on the very good neighborhood tavern in Highlandtown, Snake Hill. Highlandtown is, arguably, one of the current frontiers of Baltimore gentrification with fancy new condos next to bodegas. Notwithstanding this development, it still maintains the diversity of ethnicity and races that other neighborhoods (cough*Canton*cough) no longer have. 

Tucked just off the main artery of Highlandtown is Snake Hill, a seeming hole-in-the-wall that actually maintains an excellent beer list and, notably, a delicious array of handmade sausages. Not content to focus on the standards, i.e., bratwurst, Italian sausage, chorizo, etc., Snake Hill also incorporates exotic meats into its menu, such as alligator and rabbit + rattlesnake. I enjoyed the 'Pho-Q' sausage, a pork, fennel, and Sriracha sausage, which I opted to have served in the 'Pho' Real' sandwich format; it is what you would expect---the sausage served with pho accouterments such as Thai basil, sprouts, hoisin, and jalapeno. 

I certainly recommend a visit, and I will be certainly be aiming for a return visit to continue working my way through the menu.

Bully for Snake Hill.  Decades ago I played soccer in nearby Patterson Park with excellent quality players that were first generation Americans mostly from a motley and varied number of European nations.  Terrific individual skills and over time they evolved into better team play. It was a wonderful league for Native Americans like me to dramatically improve skills by virtue of the talent level and competition.

We would eat and drink nearby.  Burgers sausage and peppers and souvlaki were available and National Boh (not yet called Natty Boh) were on the menu.  Good times.

Man this place is 30 levels more sophisticated and is characterized as being a chill neighborhood bar.  Times have changed.  Good neighborhood for a good bar.

2 hours ago, DaveO said:

Man this place is 30 levels more sophisticated and is characterized as being a chill neighborhood bar.  Times have changed.  Good neighborhood for a good bar.

Indeed. The expectation is something a little dicey when you walk in, but the menu proves otherwise. It’s great; looking forward to returning.