Sushi

On 2/19/2018 at 4:17 PM, Josh said:

Quick note (to remind myself, mostly) that Kata serves lunch, and has a great $20 sushi special with 7 nigiri, a roll, and salad.  Their ramen is also available.  Still far and away my favorite sushi in Houston.

Question, Josh: Given that Houston is so far inland, is this saying much?

(No, I'm not assuming they're yanking your Madai from the Gulf of Mexico, but is the distribution network, and the post-receipt storage, good enough to provide for compelling sushi?)

Are there any Sushi / Sashimi restaurants in Houston that fly in their fish from the Tsukiji Fish Market? We actually have these in Washington, DC, and we're further from Tokyo than you are.

On 2/26/2018 at 1:26 AM, DonRocks said:

Don:  Houston is 30-50 miles from the Gulf (and humid as all hell). I spent a fair amount of time visiting and recall it as a Gulf friendly seafood city if you didn’t chomp down on ribs and cue all day

Are you thinking of Dallas??

On 2/26/2018 at 1:26 AM, DonRocks said:

(No, I'm not assuming they're yanking your Madai from the Gulf of Mexico, but is the distribution network, and the post-receipt storage, good enough to provide for compelling sushi?)

Are there any Sushi / Sashimi restaurants in Houston that fly in their fish from the Tsukiji Fish Market? We actually have these in Washington, DC, and we're further from Tokyo than you are.

I would definitely not think of Houston as "inland."

I can think of a few places off the top of my head that source from Tsukiji:

Kata Robata

MF Sushi

Zen Izakaya

Kuu

Kukuri

Uchi

It ain't all cowboys on horseback and old-timey iceboxes down here, you know?

I apologize, I typed "inland" when I meant "central" - I know virtually nothing about Gulf deliveries of sushi-quality seafood. Funny, I've had a lot of carpaccio made from Gulf fish (I recently had Cobia crudo), but I can't think of much sushi that I've had - I'm not sure why there would be a difference.

On a side note, I've been to 49 states (not Alaska), and the only 3 of the 24 most-populated U.S. cities I haven't visited are Austin, San Antonio, and Houston (I've been to Dallas, Fort-Worth, and oddly, even El Paso).