Windstorms - Wind without Rain (Like What We're Having Right Now)

DonRocks

1 hour ago, Bob Wells said:

I hunkered down at home today! 

I put on my Bat Suit and flew to work.

I don't ever remember a windstorm like this that wasn't accompanied by rain. Can you imagine this in a desert? Or on a mountain with powdered snow?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DonRocks said:

I put on my Bat Suit and flew to work.

I don't ever remember a windstorm like this that wasn't accompanied by rain. Can you imagine this in a desert?

Is this what would be called a Sirroco in the desert? You're right -- this wind has been blowing since the middle of the night and we had a gloriously sunny day here.

1 hour ago, Bob Wells said:

Is this what would be called a Sirroco in the desert? You're right -- this wind has been blowing since the middle of the night and we had a gloriously sunny day here.

A Scirocco (aside from being a Volkswagon) is a north-moving Saharan windstorm that can actually cross the Mediterranean and hit the south of France (it can carry sand all the way to France - see also Acqua Alta and the 1966 Venice Flood); the French equivalent is the Mistral, a howling, Siberian wind that comes down the Rhone River, and also hits the south of France (if you've read "A Year in Provence," Peter Mayle (*) describes it). I've never had the misfortune of encountering either type of storm, but I've been told that, in France, the mistral in particular is a wicked, cold experience to be missed if possible.

(For the record, I'm not so knowledgeable that I knew about the Acqua Alta and the 1966 Venice Flood without having just now read about them.)

I am *so sick* of being cold. And I don't know why I remember these things I just do - I hadn't seen this commercial in over 40 years:

(*) For parents of youngsters: Mayle also wrote a book about puberty called "What's Happening To Me?" It is *fantastic*, and I recommend handing it to your children to read just as they're entering puberty. He'll kill me if he sees this, but when Matt was about 11, I gave him the book just before bedtime, told him to read it sometime in the next year, and come to me if he had any questions - I went in to check on him an hour later, and he had almost finished the entire book.

Don: When I was a pre-teen and teen, my mom gave me a sex-ed book and an etiquette book every summer and insist I read them both. I did. I also remember getting ready with girlfriends and reading aloud from the sex one. I am proud to say that of my friends, I have the best manners, and the youngest, most planned-for kids.

Regarding the wind storm. I found it fascinating and weird. I am also tired of being cold and although today is beautiful, that damn wind is keeping me inside.