Backpacks

Ericandblueboy

I'm a devoted Eagle Creek fan - including everything from day-packs, to large luggage. 

Eagle Creek is to Tumi what Kinship is to Shaw Bijou.

(Nobody travels more, or harder, than Jon Karl - he was the one who turned me on to Eagle Creek.)

The only problem with buying a backpack, is that you'll end up dropping over $1,000 on the rest of their set, including sub-compartments which are a must.

I have a Eagle Creek backpack with a waist cinch that I’ve had since 1994.  I still use it when I travel.  I’m looking for something that can carry my iPad and guidebook when I walk around a city all day.  Something that wouldn’t look out of place at a Michelin starred restaurant.

If style is important look at m0851. Frankly idkh anyone can carry a daypack without a hip belt, but whatever.

I did just go through this exercise, but with different goals. I bought a Deuter 28L bag, and just got back from a week of day hiking in the desert with it. Makes 20 pounds feel like 5. I love it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, porcupine said:

Frankly idkh anyone can carry a daypack without a hip belt, but whatever.

That depends on the day! I still have (and sometimes use) a well-worn 1989 L. L. Bean day pack that I sling over one shoulder, but usually the only thing in there is water, phone, maybe a power bar, and perhaps a book. Of course, at this point, it's all theoretical.

5 hours ago, porcupine said:

Frankly idkh anyone can carry a daypack without a hip belt, but whatever.

For any type of longer hiking or if carrying more significant weight or certainly both it is a profound night and day difference. 

(hiking for several decades)

4 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

After looking around quite a bit, I think there are generally 2 styles of backpacks.  There’s the traditional zippered backpack and the other style has a drawstring and a buckled flap on top.  Strangely, the designer backpacks all seem to be smaller than a kid’s book bag.

Yes, I have been looking for one that looks professional that I can use for my work laptop, that will maybe fit a file or two (not legal size), so I could walk from the metro with it to my Tysons office, but my laptop is quite big, it's been hard to find one.

On 3/18/2018 at 8:53 PM, ktmoomau said:

Yes, I have been looking for one that looks professional that I can use for my work laptop, that will maybe fit a file or two (not legal size), so I could walk from the metro with it to my Tysons office, but my laptop is quite big, it's been hard to find one.

Look at the Swissgear line.  I have a Thinkpad that measures  14.8 x 9.8x 1.1 inches.  It's a beast of a machine but the way I work requires the biggest screen I can get so I can have multiple documents displaying side by side but still readable.  It fits in my Swissgear and I once managed to shove 2 of them in there.  In addition, the Swissgear line offers TSA-friendly bags that can be zipped open to go through security without removing the laptop.  There are zipped side pouches that can stow an umbrella and water bottle. The downside?  A huge number of road warriors have them, so you will almost certainly want to customize the outside of yours with a distinctive tag so you can grab it quickly from the lineup of them at the back of the room when you attend a meeting.  Mine sports a Yoda lego mini-fig.  Locally, Microcenter has a huge selection of computer bags if you want to inspect them in person.  

• Like 2