Jewish Deli on I-95 between New York and Washington, DC

DaveO

I could not decide where this post should sit.  Don:   Place it elsewhere if you think it should reside in a different section.  Honestly though it seems to me  to transcend the sections of the blog as presently constituted.

These vital andintrepid and  souls from the DC area decided to visit and rate Deli's from NY to DC and in between.  Four of them visiting multiple deli's in a day at times.  The research stretches from 2010 to this year.  NYC, Northern Jersey, Philadelphia, Baltimore and DC.   Multiple delis.  Multiple sandwiches and side orders.  Tight parameters.  Repetitive tastings of the same base foods. 

A noble task.  I salute them.  

Here are their evaluations/ratings/reviews on the entire list of 48 delis 

There are background details to various trips and tastings by clicking on various links.  Spectacular research!!!!!

(never in a million years would I attempt such an effort but I salute the sacrifice and magnificent effort of these gentlemen!!!!!!)

21 minutes ago, DaveO said:

I could not decide where this post should sit.  Don:   Place it elsewhere if you think it should reside in a different section.  Honestly though it seems to me  to transcend the sections of the blog as presently constituted.

These vital intrepid   souls from the DC area decided to visit and rate Deli's from NY to DC and in between.  Four of them visiting multiple deli's in a day at times.  The research stretches from 2010 to this year.  NYC, Northern Jersey, Philadelphia, Baltimore and DC.   Multiple delis.  Multiple sandwiches and side orders.  Tight parameters.  Repetitive tastings of the same base foods. 

A noble task.  I salute them.  

Here are their evaluations/ratings/reviews on the entire list of 48 delis 

There are background details to various trips and tastings by clicking on different links.  Spectacular research!!!!!

(never in a million years would I attempt such an effort but I salute the sacrifice and magnificent effort of these gentlemen!!!!!!)

( @dcs  check out their ratings for Goodman's in Berkeley Heights.  It is closer to where you grew up than where I grew up.  I never heard of it.  Certainly worth a visit.  Impressive credentials)

53 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Ack, you done went regional on me!

(I'll think about this) :)

Yup.  I worked on this going through a variety of topics.  Couldn't find a perfect topic as currently defined.  News??  Eh....not really.

BTW:  In the vast content there are posts in the cooking section and restaurant sections that cover overlapping topics as I'm sure you are well aware although this is restaurant oriented not cooking oriented.  It doesn't quite work its way into bi-topical treatment.

In any case I admire the writers efforts.  There was a point in time when I both ate at more delis and only ordered brisket as opposed to pastrami or corned beef, so I appreciated their including it as a sandwich choice. I'm aware of many that have done the same.  The 3 sandwich evaluations are valid.

There are  also interesting backdrops to the effort if one is interested in the deli phenomena.   Lastly, as there have been some recent comments that suggest overall bagel quality in the NY area might be worse than it was decades ago, I certainly had significantly more deli in the 1960's and 1970's.  A fair amount was in the lower East Side of NYC, not that many blocks from Katz's.  My dad's family had a business in that area and I visited or worked there a fair bit.  There were so many more deli's in that area at that time.  The business was about 6 blocks from Katz's and there were many such places closer, including some of deserved fame.  These places are vanishing.

Katz’s, 2nd Ave & David’s are my 3 favorites so I’m glad they’re in the top 5 reviewed.  However, I’m a little taken aback that they found the Mill Basin Deli (its in, yes you guessed right, Mill Basin, on the far outskirts of Brooklyn) and didnt like it more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve R. said:

Katz’s, 2nd Ave & David’s are my 3 favorites so I’m glad they’re in the top 5 reviewed.  However, I’m a little taken aback that they found the Mill Basin Deli (its in, yes you guessed right, Mill Basin, on the far outskirts of Brooklyn) and didnt like it more.

If you like deli the entire series of articles is a worthwhile read.  Frankly on the NYC/Manhattan side I was unfamiliar with Sarge's.  They liked it and did so over several years.  On their recommendations I'd go there.

On the Jersey side of things I'm completely unfamiliar with Goodman's which overall ranks well.  On a driving trip I'd give myself time to try it on the  way up or back.  If only because Hobby's is owned by the family of old friends I'm partial to it.  They both liked it and gave it nice praise as of 2010 yet quality wise didn't give it great ratings.  Regardless I recommend it and agree it has great deli "flavor".    I'm very positive on their pastrami and as for the brisket...well I think its fine...but I agree with the gents that wrote this series of articles--brisket isn't always top notch.

I give these guys kudo's for going all out!!!!!!  

On 3/23/2018 at 1:26 PM, curiouskitkatt said:

Funny you mention this possibility of this sub-forum on this platform . While on Facebook, I stumbled upon this group that spans the entire US of A in search for, as well as preservation of the deli.  This group is certainly well versed on where delis span from coast to coast as well as what is being served at them as well. 

Nice find.  I only skimmed so far and found at least one of the intrepid Deli lovers in the original link is a contributor and member of the FB group

Looking for Deli across the country??   Here is one list from a source of probable deli knowledgeable folks.

As to Jersey, Eppis Essen in Livingston was a favorite of my parents and a group of their friends, all of whom had years of deli eating experience.  As to Maryland from the Baltimore side of things, I haven't been to Attman's in years but it used to be as good as it got in Charm City.