Major League Baseball Free Agency - A History

DonRocks

Would someone who knows more than I do please explain how Curt Flood fit in to challengng the reserve clause, vis-a-vis Dave McNally and Andy Messersmith contributing to the same thing a few-years later?

Even just pointing to an informative article would be very helpful - I've never quite understood the background (which, apparently, had existed since the 1800s), the pioneers and what they did, and the aftermath with free agency.

Also, how is the reserve clause any different (in theory or principle) than designating someone as a franchise player in the NFL?

8 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Would someone who knows more than I do please explain how Curt Flood fit in to challengng the reserve clause, vis-a-vis Dave McNally and Andy Messersmith contributing to the same thing a few-years later?

Even just pointing to an informative article would be very helpful - I've never quite understood the background (which, apparently, had existed since the 1800s), the pioneers and what they did, and the aftermath with free agency.

Also, how is the reserve clause any different (in theory or principle) than designating someone as a franchise player in the NFL?

FLOOD v. KUHN, (1972)

• Thanks 1