Wine For Wedding Reception

So, we are DIYing a lot of our wedding, but with 400 people it's a pain.

Suggestions on 'value' wine ... reds and white, 2/3 to 3/4 red, 1/3 to 1/4 white ... 

Indians don't drink much wine ... we are thinking about 120 bottles.

Quaffable, non Chuck Shaw, value wine suggestion? Hoping for less than $10 a bottle (I know, I know ... it's low priced, but I'm telling ya, my people just don't appreciate good wine ... )

My dad sent this - https://www.groupon.com/deals/wine-insiders-1780 - is this a good start?

Thanks

S

Santa Rita 120 Sauvignon Blanc for the white.  $6.00 at Total Wine before the 10% discount.  Cline Cashmere for the red.  Might be a little out of your budget, but I suspect your average cost will be close to $10 if you go with the Santa Rita.  Any bottle of wine with Dave Phinney's name on it.  Try his location series.

I question your ratio of reds to whites. Afternoon or evening reception?  I suspect the ratio will change for the time of day.

Also, 120 bottles is 500 to 600 glasses of wine for 400 people.  

For that amount of wine at one time, you can probably negotiate a 20% to 25% discount from you local wine purveyor. They will special order it for you and it will be sold before they pay for it.

What jurisdiction is the reception in?  You do not want to get caught driving that amount of wine across state lines.

Good luck and congratulations!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Finatic said:

Santa Rita 120 Sauvignon Blanc for the white.  $6.00 at Total Wine before the 10% discount.  Cline Cashmere for the red.  Might be a little out of your budget, but I suspect your average cost will be close to $10 if you go with the Santa Rita.  Any bottle of wine with Dave Phinney's name on it.  Try his location series.

I question your ratio of reds to whites. Afternoon or evening reception?  I suspect the ratio will change for the time of day.

Also, 120 bottles is 500 to 600 glasses of wine for 400 people.  

For that amount of wine at one time, you can probably negotiate a 20% to 25% discount from you local wine purveyor. They will special order it for you and it will be sold before they pay for it.

What jurisdiction is the reception in?  You do not want to get caught driving that amount of wine across state lines.

Good luck and congratulations!

Thank you so much!!!

Evening reception.

Suburban Detroit.

We will get it locally in MI. Curious about the state lines comment - I had looked into getting it from Binny’s Beverage Depot in Chicagoland. They said that it wasn’t an issue - there aren’t tariffs. If you have evidence of your wedding (invitation or something), they said it was okay, as long as you aren’t having a cash bar. I guess it’s in the store’s interest to say that. My father disagreed and even though there is nothing we can find that says it would be an issue, he said it wasn’t worth it to him. 

On the other hand, we got all our hooch in Windsor, Ontario. Sooooo cheap- and with your wedding invitation you get an additional 10% off. Then, when you cross over you pay $2.85 a liter. We saved over a $1000! For example, 1 L of Tito’s came out to $16-17 per bottle with all tariffs. $27 at the VABC without tax. Even at Binny’s it was about $24ish because IL has insane taxes.  When you get 100 plus liters it makes a difference!

And, Don, no one week wedding. We are on a tight budget. 4.5 days

Call Doug Rosen at Arrowine or Joe Kluchinsky at MacArthur Beverages, and tell them I told you to call - it can't hurt. They aren't the least-expensive places in town, but for one-time, low-hassle, bulk orders, I suspect their buying power might be able to provide you with good pricing, especially if you're flexible.

I've written and alerted them that they might be receiving a call.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:16 PM, Simul Parikh said:

Thank you so much!!!

Evening reception.

Suburban Detroit.

We will get it locally in MI. Curious about the state lines comment - I had looked into getting it from Binny’s Beverage Depot in Chicagoland. They said that it wasn’t an issue - there aren’t tariffs. If you have evidence of your wedding (invitation or something), they said it was okay, as long as you aren’t having a cash bar. I guess it’s in the store’s interest to say that. My father disagreed and even though there is nothing we can find that says it would be an issue, he said it wasn’t worth it to him. 

On the other hand, we got all our hooch in Windsor, Ontario. Sooooo cheap- and with your wedding invitation you get an additional 10% off. Then, when you cross over you pay $2.85 a liter. We saved over a $1000! For example, 1 L of Tito’s came out to $16-17 per bottle with all tariffs. $27 at the VABC without tax. Even at Binny’s it was about $24ish because IL has insane taxes.  When you get 100 plus liters it makes a difference!

And, Don, no one week wedding. We are on a tight budget. 4.5 days

I live in Virginia just outside of DC.  Liquor is significantly cheaper in DC than Virginia.  Virginia has state run liquor stores.  Virginia ATF agents have been known to sit in unmarked cars at DC liquor stores looking for VA license plates, then following them across the bridge.

2 hours ago, Finatic said:

I live in Virginia just outside of DC.  Liquor is significantly cheaper in DC than Virginia.  Virginia has state run liquor stores.  Virginia ATF agents have been known to sit in unmarked cars at DC liquor stores looking for VA license plates, then following them across the bridge.

What happens afterwards?  Do the VA ATF agents whack them?

I'm Indian and my parents are now in their 80s.  Based on my observation of their and their friends' drinking habits over the past 30+ years, I agree with your focusing on the low end.  I think you'd be good with Aussie or Chilean boxed wine.  Riesling (sweeter end) and maybe Chardonnay (my dad always gets this, no matter how poorly it pairs with what he's eating).  For red, merlot or maybe shiraz.  Tell the the bartenders to ask, "Red or white?"  No need to make things complicated for the uncles and aunties!

I assume you've got the Chivas and Johnny Walker covered.

11 hours ago, SilverBullitt said:

I'm Indian and my parents are now in their 80s.  Based on my observation of their and their friends' drinking habits over the past 30+ years, I agree with your focusing on the low end.  I think you'd be good with Aussie or Chilean boxed wine.  Riesling (sweeter end) and maybe Chardonnay (my dad always gets this, no matter how poorly it pairs with what he's eating).  For red, merlot or maybe shiraz.  Tell the the bartenders to ask, "Red or white?"  No need to make things complicated for the uncles and aunties!

SO MUCH CHIVAS AND JOHNNY BLACK! Oh my gosh... so funny - when we were considering banquet halls and hotels, the venues in Metro Detroit have their drink packages with an "Indian" option which is pretty much bottom shelf everything but they add Chivas and JWB. I laughed out loud when the Troy Marriott sales rep said, "Oh, you'll probably be wanting this package," and pointed that out.

11 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

This article may be helpful, I went looking as I was curious... 

May 30, 2017 - "Law Would Make Bringing Large Amounts of Alcohol into Michigan a Felony" by Kahryn RIley on mackinac.org

That's interesting that interstate distribution is criminalized ... DHS doesn't care at all, since you do pay the duties at the border. 

17 hours ago, SilverBullitt said:

Hahaha! That was my first thought, too being Indian. It was one of the most important facets of the reception for my Dad.

At our wedding reception in VA we have 350 and also did it DIY style. We did Blue Vin Riesling for white and can’t remember the Malbec we had. The Blue Vin was very popular with Indian food and the Aunties!

15 hours ago, Finatic said:

Do you know this for a fact? It sounds somewhat apocryphal; on the other hand, I've heard nothing to the contrary, and have no reason to doubt you.

It's a good thing everyone from "that community" has decided to purchase their wines in Montgomery County for their picnic. -_-

20 hours ago, Finatic said:

17 hours ago, Simul Parikh said:

Yeah - what can they actually do to you?

•  

§ 4.1-311. Limitations on transporting lawfully purchased alcoholic beverages; penalty.

A. The transportation of alcoholic beverages lawfully purchased in the Commonwealth in excess of the following limits is prohibited except in accordance with Board regulations:

1. Wine and beer, no limitation.

2. Alcoholic beverages other than wine and beer, three gallons, provided that not more than one gallon thereof shall be in containers holding less than one-fifth of a gallon. If any part of the alcoholic beverages being transported is held in metric-sized containers, the three-gallon limitation shall be construed to be 12 liters, and not more than 4 liters thereof shall be in containers smaller than 750 milliliters.

B. The transportation of alcoholic beverages lawfully purchased outside the Commonwealth, within, into or through the Commonwealth, in quantities in excess of one gallon or four liters if any part of the alcohol being transported is held in metric-sized containers, is prohibited except in accordance with Board regulations adopted pursuant to this section.

C. Any person transporting alcoholic beverages in violation of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Code 1950, § 4-72; 1974, c. 460, § 4-72.1; 1975, c. 480; 1978, c. 436; 1993, c. 866."  https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title4.1/chapter3/section4.1-311/

"§ 18.2-11. Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor.

The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are:

(a) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both."  https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter1/section18.2-11/

Giving this a bump because @MichaelBDC and I are also DIY-ing the alcohol for our wedding. We'll likely be buying the wine at a Costco in San Diego. We are expecting 80 people, so about 48-ish bottles of still wine and another case or so of sparkling. Hoping to spend about $15/bottle, maybe more for a good red wine. Any recommendations on a white, a rose, sparkling, and a red would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

20 hours ago, eatruneat said:

Giving this a bump because @MichaelBDC and I are also DIY-ing the alcohol for our wedding. We'll likely be buying the wine at a Costco in San Diego. We are expecting 80 people, so about 48-ish bottles of still wine and another case or so of sparkling. Hoping to spend about $15/bottle, maybe more for a good red wine. Any recommendations on a white, a rose, sparkling, and a red would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Keep in mind that a case of wine = 60 glasses. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2018 at 3:41 PM, eatruneat said:

I don't know if this is sold throughout the US, but the Kirkland brand of New Zealand sauvignon blanc (which we found in Hawaii for $7) seemed comparable in quality with the $12 to $18 bottles we typically buy.  It was shockingly good IMO and I don't get the low ratings on CellarTracker at all.

On 6/11/2018 at 3:41 PM, eatruneat said:

Thanks in advance!

I'd go with a pale, bone-dry Rosé from Southeast France (Côtes-de-Provence, Côteaux-d'Aix-en-Provence, etc.) and a Côtes-du-Rhone from a good, local importer. Sparkling is Champagne, and "other," and if you go with Champagne, that's where you'll be spending most of your money. You can also go with one bottle of special Champagne for the wedding party, and Cava for the rest (nobody needs to know you're drinking Champagne). ;) Also, consider overbuying by a bit, and serving wines that you won't mind keeping yourselves. I've never been part of a wedding where I didn't have a special bottle hidden somewhere under a bathroom sink, that only a few people knew about.

5 hours ago, silentbob said:

the Kirkland brand of New Zealand sauvignon blanc (which we found in Hawaii for $7) seemed comparable in quality with the $12 to $18 bottles we typically buy.  It was shockingly good IMO

Interesting. I bought several bottles of this blind recently at the DC Costco (also for around $7 -- it may have been on sale) because I generally really like sauvignon blanc, and I don't love this one. It's a little too sweet for me. That may just be personal preference. I'll still drink it, though!

12 hours ago, dracisk said:

Interesting. I bought several bottles of this blind recently at the DC Costco (also for around $7 -- it may have been on sale) because I generally really like sauvignon blanc, and I don't love this one. It's a little too sweet for me. That may just be personal preference. I'll still drink it, though!

Yeah, I would never claim that the $7 Kirkland is better, but if it's (IMO) about 90 percent as good while at half or less than half the price, then it's a perfect everyday bottle.

3 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Yeah, I would never claim that the $7 Kirkland is better, but if it's (IMO) about 90 percent as good while at half or less than half the price, then it's a perfect everyday bottle.

Agreed. You definitely can't beat the price!