EllenH

Indique, Connecticut Avenue in Cleveland Park (Indique Heights in Friendship Heights is Closed)

EllenH   

How's about Indique (Connecticut Ave., Cleveland Park metro)? Didn't find a thread for it on this board.

Spent a really fun HH there last Friday. A couple of lovely cocktails that went down WAY too easy (sparkling wine w/ lychee juice; tamarind "martini") rolleyes.gif They have a page of Indian small plates that are reasonably priced and tasty, and the people-watching from the bar tables at the large window is quite entertaining.

KeithA   

I think Indique is great. I've been there several times and the only complaints from me or any of my dining companions was a dish or two was too spicy (but those comments came from those who can't handle the heat). Of the dishes I tried, my recs are samosa chaat, chicken maakhani, and chicken biryani. They also have a great lunch special with reduced priced entrees, soup or salad and dessert.

There website is great too with lots of info on the dishes as well as pictures of many dishes.

www.indique.com

DC in DC   

Last night we were at the bar at Buck's and one of my dining companions thought she recognized the person next to us as the chef at Indique. Lo and behold it was him. He said they are opening a second location at Friendship Heights above the metro station (probably in the old Restaurant Terraza space?). Holy batman! We are so excited as there is a serious dearth of dining options up here.

JLK   

Will the new location be called Indique or something else?

A friend and I dined at the existing Indique a few nights ago (Wednesday). It didn't break any new ground, but everything was (to me) as tasty as ever. And man, they still pack in the crowds.

jdl   

Dined here once, and I liked the food well enough -- but not so much that I'd return without a guarantee that it wouldn't take 45 minutes between the time we placed our order and our food actually arrived. That part was not so much fun.

smokey   
Last night we were at the bar at Buck's and one of my dining companions thought she recognized the person next to us as the chef at Indique. Lo and behold it was him. He said they are opening a second location at Friendship Heights above the metro station (probably in the old Restaurant Terraza space?). Holy batman! We are so excited as there is a serious dearth of dining options up here.

This is exciting! Thanks for the word, DC.

Last night we were at the bar at Buck's and one of my dining companions thought she recognized the person next to us as the chef at Indique.  Lo and behold it was him.  He said they are opening a second location at Friendship Heights above the metro station (probably in the old Restaurant Terraza space?).  Holy batman!  We are so excited as there is a serious dearth of dining options up here.

you probably don't remember when that space was tila's, emanating from houston. we saw the robbs on the escalator heading up once. anyway, i wish tila's was coming back, although maybe my taste buds have grown up in the many years since then.

JLK   

It has been awhile since I have dined at Indique. No particular reason other than the fact that we tend to get takeout from there rather often. Like last night. :huh:

Our spread included a lot of the frequently ordered dishes:

* Samosa

* Paneer Kadai (or Kadai Paneer - whatever!!)

* Chicken tikka makhani

* Lamb rogan josh

* Daal

* Garlic naan

Everything was really darn good. I love paneer prepared pretty much any way, and in this iteration, I loved the various flavors involved: chiles, peppers, onions, tomatoes.

We tend to order the lamb vindaloo periodically, but the +1 complains that it's too spicy for him (wimp!!). Last night, I mixed things up by ordering the tender and delicious lamb rogan josh. It was a hit, but he still hogs the daal. I rarely end up with leftovers of that side dish. :lol:

MeMc   

I think there's something wrong with me, but I'm not yet sold on Indique. I need more spice, more daring. I'm looking for british hot, not DC hot. I've gone between five and six times, but it's too conservative for me. Not sure how to frame that to my server, though.

Edited by MeMc

scj32   

Anyone have any word on the "Indique Heights" to be opening by Friendship Heights metro? I saw a banner this weekend.

qwertyy   

I had a terrific meal at Indique last night. It was late, so we ran through it pretty fast, but there were several stand-out dishes (sorry I don't remember most of the names): The quail appetizer was amazing--who knew such an itty-bitty bird could be so flavorful? The crab cake-like appetizer somehow managed to taste fully of crab and spices, while having a creamy texture; it was delicious. Of the entrees, the fish Tamilnad was a winner--very tomatoey and nicely spiced--as was the fish wrapped in banana leaf, which has a surprisingly pleasant, subtle earthy flavor. The lamb vindaloo was spectacular. I'm kind of a medium-salsa girl, so this stuff nearly made me hallucinate from the heat, but it also managed to have lots of flavorful layers and a depth that's often lost in heavy spice. And the lamb itself was very nearly the consistency of butter. Homina homina.

Terrific food. I'm very much looking forward to eating my leftovers for lunch and getting back for more soon!

**FYI, just noticed that Washington Post has a new Indique listing: Indique Heights: From the owners of Cleveland Park's Indique, this upscale Indian restaurant opens Wednesday, April 5. Address and phone number are listed in the City Guide.

Indique Heights is opening tonite so we are headed there for dinner. Anyone else going tonite? Stop by and say hello if you will be there!!

They serve really good bellinis at the CP Indique. I mean, not that I know. Because surely I only had ONE, if that. I think I remember the food being good, too.

Hic!

Kanishka   

I tried to go to Indique with a group of five this Saturday at seven PM, and I have never had such impolite service. We never ended up seated -- the host informed us that a table for five would be impossible without a reservation, unless we wanted to sit outside. With the ominous clouds, we declined. But we left a restaurant that was about half full -- seats everywhere!!

I acknowledge the fact that five or six tops without reservations are annoying. But the way the host reacted to us (dismissive, impolite, almost as if we were not worthy of eating at the restaurant) made me very angry. Particularly unfortunate because I really like Indique and when these last minute plans came together, I picked that restaurant right away.

We ended up having mediocre pan-Asian food at Spices, after trying Dino and being told it would be difficult to be seated. The difference -- the good folks at Dino were polite and kind when telling us that it would be hard to be seated, and Dino was packed. No hard feelings with them, I understand.

Indique? That's another matter. Here's a hint: when saying "no, I'm sorry, that's not possible" ... don't be a dick.

K

Pool Boy   

Went last night and thought it was good but nothing to rave about. Mussels were very good, the samosa very nice. Even the chicken chettinad was very good (thought the formed shapes of rice seemed odd). But it was nothing that made me swoon or to get overly excited about. Service was good, too. While I would not go out of my way to dine here again, if I was in the mood and in the area, it would not be a bad choice at all.

KeithA   

Last night got some chicken biryani and paratha bread for carryout from the original Indique. The biryani was great, a huge portion of not overly spiced rice and big chunks of flavorful chicken that clearly benefited from cooking on the bone (the meat is served deboned). This is the second time in recent months I've had the biryani to go. Last time was the lamb version which was also good, maybe even better (but that could be because I LOVE lamb). The disappointment was the paratha which was rather tasteless and very greasy. However it came with Indique always good mint, tamarind, and spicy/sour lemon chutneys. Next time, I'll stick with the naan which is usually pretty good. Although based on lots of trips to Indique in the past the bread are not their strong point. Also since no one else seems to write about Indique much, I will say they have a great dal makhani, which comes with most of the entrees when you eat in the restaurant.

I will say they have a great dal makhani, which comes with most of the entrees when you eat in the restaurant.
I second the recommendation on the dal. It is delicious. In general, I think Indique can deliver a nice hit of heat when requested in the curries, too. I often pass this place and say "I should go there more often."

I have a reservation tonight, is it worth going. They still have Rest. Week special.
Indique is not bad, but their normal prices are low enough that I'd hardly consider restaurant week a deal.

Any recent reports?
I live down the street from Indique and get take out once or twice a month. I also dine in occasionally. They do a better job with meat than vegetables. Their curries are decent. Their bread is sub par. Overall, it's not a place that I would go out of my way for.

I stopped by last night and had the lamb vindaloo. It was spicy though not heathead spicy. It did however cause my stomach a small bit of bubbly burny anguish. I enjoyed it a lot though, and it satisfied my jones for Indian. But then we tried the vegetarian dosa for an app. It was a severe disappointment - the dosa itself was not crisp and awesome the way it is at Woodlands, and the chutneys were a bit lacking. And damn it, now I want to go to Woodlands. This was the CP location, btw.

Any recent reports?

I went about a month ago to Indique Heights. The portions are huge, and very tasty. However their water is disgusting. Undrinkable. I had wine, but needed water to wash down the spicy vindalo, and when I asked for a fresh glass, the water still tasted very bad. I'm never picky about DC tap water, and I think Friendship Heights is considered Maryland, so I'm not sure what the story was.

DonRocks   
I went about a month ago to Indique Heights. The portions are huge, and very tasty. However their water is disgusting. Undrinkable. I had wine, but needed water to wash down the spicy vindalo, and when I asked for a fresh glass, the water still tasted very bad. I'm never picky about DC tap water, and I think Friendship Heights is considered Maryland, so I'm not sure what the story was.

You made the same mistake I did trying to wash down a Vindaloo with water ... click. :rolleyes:

--

Separate topic, which has kept me up at night: Are Indique and Indique Heights separate restaurants (i.e., do they each get their own thread), or do they constitute a chain?

Before you lash into me, I've honestly thought about this (and other related examples) for many, many tortured hours, and I haven't come up with a good answer.