When I began hosting chats with chefs, etc., we were the first website in the world - yes, the very first website in the world - to do so (this includes, of course, the very first chat I hosted with Jonathan Krinn). I'm willing to give this one more go, with the person who is arguably the most important - the most influential - diner in the world ... and I'm not talking about PR-driven bullshit like Anthony Boudain; I'm talking about substance.

I'm willing to give this a go (and so is the potential participant), but people here are going to have to step up, and really show some respect and enthusiasm, or I'll never do another one. 

Decide amongst yourselves - I can go either way, but this will certainly give you access to someone to whom you'd otherwise never have access, and it will be *our privilege* to have this person as a guest; not the other way around. We, as a group, need to step up, participate *heavily*, and give this person the respect and courtesy (s)he deserves. 

It's your call - who's in? I want to see fifty people reply to this, and I want every respondent to ask a question or submit a comment. Please do not express interest unless you're willing to be an active participant.

• Like 1

I would be very interested. What questions I ask would be entirely dependent on what the person's specific knowledge was; I am trying to guess, but am not succeeding.  As one who does not always check the site every day, right now, I think it would be useful to have some (oh i hate this phrase) "push notification" of when it was happening and then what was going on in the conversation.  Even just a couple of heads-up - "it's starting tomorrow, here's the info, get your questions ready in light of this info" and "it's starting now!" - would be useful if possible.

Also would be interested, but can't guarantee participation unless I knew a time/date and even then I can be iffy if it's during the day.  For a diner, not a chef correct?  I guess one of the core questions I think perplexes me these days is- to you what is valuable when you dine out- in food, service, ambiance, what are you looking for these days?  So that if you didn't have the money to dine everywhere you might want, what would make you pull the trigger on deciding where to go?

28 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

Also would be interested, but can't guarantee participation unless I knew a time/date and even then I can be iffy if it's during the day.  For a diner, not a chef correct?  I guess one of the core questions I think perplexes me these days is- to you what is valuable when you dine out- in food, service, ambiance, what are you looking for these days?  So that if you didn't have the money to dine everywhere you might want, what would make you pull the trigger on deciding where to go?

Everything she said x2.

There's no rush for this - it would happen in maybe a couple of months; I just don't want to have a bunch of fanfare, and then ... silence - I'd give everyone a week's (two weeks'?) notice, and then you could follow the thread to receive push notifications. What i'm saying is that I don't want to go out on a limb for this person, and then fall flat on my face. The reason I stopped doing these is because readers stopped participating (which I understand: When we began them, we were the only website in the world; now, everyone seems to be doing something similar). It's completely okay if people don't want to do this - it won't affect any other aspects of the community, but I've got to be sure before I pull the trigger.

PS - It says just about all I need to hear that we've had three replies.

On 4/4/2018 at 7:04 PM, DonRocks said:

When I began hosting chats with chefs, etc., we were the first website in the world - yes, the very first website in the world - to do so (this includes, of course, the very first chat I hosted with Jonathan Krinn). I'm willing to give this one more go, with the person who is arguably the most important - the most influential - diner in the world ... and I'm not talking about PR-driven bullshit like Anthony Boudain; I'm talking about substance.

I'm willing to give this a go (and so is the potential participant), but people here are going to have to step up, and really show some respect and enthusiasm, or I'll never do another one. 

Decide amongst yourselves - I can go either way, but this will certainly give you access to someone to whom you'd otherwise never have access, and it will be *our privilege* to have this person as a guest; not the other way around. We, as a group, need to step up, participate *heavily*, and give this person the respect and courtesy (s)he deserves. 

It's your call - who's in? I want to see fifty people reply to this, and I want every respondent to ask a question or submit a comment. Please do not express interest unless you're willing to be an active participant.

Of course you can count me in. I consider myself fortunate everyday to have found a forum that is as broad and informative as this one. We can do this. All it takes is a little bit of some of your time. My comment and/ question would obviously depend on who is the will be featured, but you can rely on my participation 100 %.  I would be highly interested to know what the old guard thinks of the new guard of chefs. I mean no disrespect in relation to age, but wasn't sure how to phrase that bit. There are so many young chefs coming up through the ranks, and I would be curious to know who their influences have been on their rise. So many questions, so  Let's do this!!

22 hours ago, DonRocks said:

There's no rush for this - it would happen in maybe a couple of months; I just don't want to have a bunch of fanfare, and then ... silence - I'd give everyone a week's (two weeks'?) notice, and then you could follow the thread to receive push notifications. What i'm saying is that I don't want to go out on a limb for this person, and then fall flat on my face. The reason I stopped doing these is because readers stopped participating (which I understand: When we began them, we were the only website in the world; now, everyone seems to be doing something similar). It's completely okay if people don't want to do this - it won't affect any other aspects of the community, but I've got to be sure before I pull the trigger.

PS - It says just about all I need to hear that we've had three replies.

Not for nothing, but you've placed the thread in an area of the board that doesn't get a lot of conversational traffic.  Put it down in News & Media and I bet you get more folks chiming in.

I had read all the archived chats with chefs when I signed onto this board and loved getting their insights, so of course I'll be interested in participating in a chat with whichever chef you pick.

It makes me sad that there are six replies; I understand this isn't the best place for this discussion, but this is where the thread belongs for now (you are, however, correct, weezy). I just don't want to stick my neck out to this wonderful person, only to have it cut off.

Folks, if you care about this community, please say you'll ask just one question. Please? How many times have I asked you for anything? We're very lucky to have this person willing to participate, and I want them to feel welcome, like they're one of our own family. It hurts me that places like Eater won't publicize this, but nobody has ever publicized anything we've ever done, so the only people we can rely on are ourselves - I don't want to go around begging, hat-in-hand, but I don't think it's too much to ask of our own members to pitch in; if it is, then we don't have a community to speak of, and we deserve whatever fate comes our way. 

Cheers,
Rocks

23 hours ago, weezy said:

Not for nothing, but you've placed the thread in an area of the board that doesn't get a lot of conversational traffic.  Put it down in News & Media and I bet you get more folks chiming in.

I had read all the archived chats with chefs when I signed onto this board and loved getting their insights, so of course I'll be interested in participating in a chat with whichever chef you pick.

I find that I never see announcements like this because, most likely, of the way I browse the place for content that is interesting to me. I know there is probably a new content button, but I don't use it, nor would I likely ever use it. Old habits and so on.

I might sggest moving the chat, when it happens, up to a more heavily visited section of the site while it is "active" and then shift it back to where you would prefer to keep it organizationally.

1 hour ago, Pool Boy said:

I find that I never see announcements like this because, most likely, of the way I browse the place for content that is interesting to me. I know there is probably a new content button, but I don't use it, nor would I likely ever use it. Old habits and so on.

I might sggest moving the chat, when it happens, up to a more heavily visited section of the site while it is "active" and then shift it back to where you would prefer to keep it organizationally.

The chats are *always* featured as their own  Forum, up at the top, so that won't be an issue.