Ekiben - Baos, Bowls, and More on Eastern Ave. in Fells Point

Just realized that there was no thread for Ekiben, which was an oversight on my part.

Though I haven't actually visited their brick and mortar, I have partaken of their bao sandwiches at the Charm City Cross cyclocross race (excellent post-race refuel), Hampdenfest, and at the 83 farmers market. The baos are reliably tasty, though frequently overstuffed and unwieldy; I wouldn't be mad if they split one bao into two smaller bites and sold them as a pair. 

In some ways, Ekiben reminds me of my beloved late Shophouse---similar spice level, flavor, and relative level of accessibility. I do need to stop into the brick and mortar location at some point soon to scratch the itch, but I'm glad that the 83 market has reopened for the season so I can visit them there if I don't make it all the way to Fells!

Ekiben is incredible at community outreach. It seems like at just about any event or gathering in Baltimore (and even a few down in DC), you'll find the Ekiben stall slinging their buns. With regular pop-ups and collaborations with other popular restaurants and an active social media presence, Ekiben has really made itself known in the Baltimore food community. Pretty cool for a place with a single brick and mortar location. 

I agree with the Shophouse comparison, very good asian fusion that is accessible and tasty. However, while I'm always happy to eat their food, I've also never really made a special effort to eat there. I think part of it is the portioning; at $9 for an oversized bun, it's a little too small for a full meal, but ordering two would feel like way too much. Like you said, the baos can also be a bit messy to eat, so maybe I just need to try their rice bowls next time. Definitely a great snack food, though, so maybe it makes perfect sense that you can find their stall all over.

I have been to several of their pop- ups,  and actually I wish there was a way to get a notification on my phone to alert me of them. I am a fan. I have also made it to their brick and mortar and find it one of the best playlist in the city. The energy of the place is young, and they are certainly slinging tasty buns & bowls. . So far, I have had the tempura broccoli,neighborhood bird, and tofu brah, and have enjoyed every bite.  I especially love the clever herb garnish of cilantro & mint. The freshness of herbs are reminiscent of Vietnamese flavors. I do admit the bao presentation is a bit "extra", but that would not prevent me from eating there. I find the flavors presented are unique ( Taiwanese & Ethiopian)  and will make the total 90 minute drive just to indulge in their offerings. They also can be found at the Baltimore's Farmers Market & Bazaar on Sundays as well as several pop- ups throughout the DMV.

Sneak Peek at Ekiben’s Second Location in Hampden! baltimoremagazine.com 2-4-2020

FWIW, the chicken sandwich at Ekiben is in a league all its own. Not like Nashville Hot, or Popeye's, it has a distinct spice and finished off with the mix of fresh herbs and filled in a pillowy boa bun. It ranks high on my radar for chicken sandwiches. 

• Like 1