Regulars at Restaurants and Bars

StarStraf

This started when a bartender referred to us as 'regulars'  and I countered as 'frequent but not regular' and then saw an article about how regulars get better service and has lead to a multi thread conversation so though I would open up the discussion here. 

What makes a customer a regular?

I always though this was completely based on frequency - when I worked a diner the guys that sat in the same booth every Friday night and ordered the same thing were regulars.  But I realized I might not have the same definition as others so I started asking and some of the things I have heard are:  the customer knows the staffs name, you know they will return again, you notice when they have not been there for a while and wonder about them, they make your shift better.

How do you know you are considered a regular?

They call you by name, they remember something about your last visit / conversation ('How was the trip to New Orleans'), they suggest an off menu item to you or a 'we are testing this out and want your opinion' 

Is there anything you can do to increase your perception as a regular?

Be polite, Tip well, remember peoples names (if we like a waiter we will put their name in the contacts list on our phone so can remember to ask for them next time),

• Like 1

I swear there is a thread on this in the depths of DR, but maybe it was Chowhound back in the day... I won't name where I think I am a regular, but one place, when I go without my husband, our normal server asks where he is, so I assume I am a regular there, no special attention really, but none needed.  Another place the manager suggests new things for me to try, so I assume I am likely remembered there, as well (Hubby is probably really a regular there, I suspect he gets take out here a fair amount).  Another place the bartenders chat with me (I normally go when Hubby isn't in town) and ask me what I am reading when I laugh out loud accidentally at the bar, they have also poured me a free glass or two of wine at the end of the night, I think they likely remember me as the crazy woman who laughs out loud while reading.  The last place they always give me coupons and one time I got a cookie just because another time hummus chips, so I suspect I am a regular there, as well.  I am hoping to become a regular at two other spots, working on it.

It is funny though there are some places that I go a fair amount and don't think I am a regular there for whatever reason.  

• Like 1

I think there is a thread somewhere.  House of Fortune (McLean) definitely remembers me but I get no special treatment since I go very rarely.  I just get the "we haven't seen you in awhile" comment - which seems accusatory.  At Santini's Deli, they ask about the girls if they're not with me but I get no special treatment.  Come to think of it, none of the places that I go to regularly give me any type of special treatment, but none of them are bars.

There are places where I've been a regular.  There have been bars and restaurants.  In a couple of cases with restaurants my ex or ex g/f and I would also see friends/regulars and reseat from a two to a four, all in accordance with the staff that knew us.  Those incidents are/were nice.  It makes the place friendly.  Some threads here bring that sense up, along with news..I think the last one here was relative to the closing of The Classics.   There was a lot of tremendous "connectivity" to the restaurant  (unfortunately not enough customers--but plenty of emotional connectivity).

Here is something on the opposite side of the bar/restaurant.  In the last year I stopped off at Quinn's on the Corner, which is located at about the top of the hill in Rosslyn at the corner of Wilson and N Quinn Street. The first time I walked in the bartender recognized me.  Possibly 3 years  before--maybe 4 years he had bartended at the last vestige of Wilson Tavern, when it was both casual and very temporary, before that building was torn down.   I couldn't believe he remembered me.  I don't see myself as a memorable customer.   But he did and he went over some items that we had discussed.

Holy Cr@p.   What a great FOH person.  He can evidently do that with a lot of customers.  I know of two other FOH people who have that trait, and I'm sure there are others but its mostly extremely rare.  If one has that ability one builds regulars.  In the restaurant business its an extraordinary skill--worth a ton.

And since he did that I've returned because he made the place comfortable for me. 

I think I have been considered a regular at just a few places. I do not live in DC proper, so most experiences are not just I do not want to cook, what is nearby?!' variety, but more like 'This place is in our current rotation.'

That said, I can think of three places Iam a regular. And a few more as carry-out guy closer to home.

Anyway, I think that it is great when you become a regular - you do get better service and more exposure to what they do at the place. Nice.

However, I also think, even in a brand new to you place, you get as good as you give (and often then some). If you are willing to listen and try new things, absorb what they are trying to do there, and dig he dining out experience even just a little bit (and are not demanding, annoying, pissed off, whatever) you will get treated much better than you realize. Restaurant crave repeat customers. They are often the ones that spread the word, write glowing reviews, take pictures, you name it. I not saying become an obsequious customer, just enjoy what you like and it is often infectious. People, even while they are working, enjoy nice interactions and memorable things.

There is at least one place in Annapolis where I am a regular.  Staff know me, my preferences, etc.  They will usually pour me a taste of wine  they think I'd like.  I will regularly run into neighbors and friends, easy to do in Annapolis as it's small town USA.  I'll also stop by if a see a special entrée or menu posted on social media. 

Hong Kong Palace... Been going for 7.5 years... I get increasingly surly service every time I visit from Linda unless I have lady with me, but she continues to give great food recs, and steering me away from things I don't like by telling me "No, you won't like". If she ever starts being nice to me, I'm walking straight out that door and never coming back. 

Del Ray Pizza ... they know that I want the hops and the haze, and that I never order anything other than the nachos + diesel sauce on side or the wings. Free beers occasionally.

Pork Barrel ... very occasional free stuff, but I don't like their stuff all that much anyway, so I don't want it anyway. 

Takohachi ... they are becoming my best buds. We go separately since we are so busy currently, and they always ask where the missus is when i'm there alone. I don't think they ask her where I am. They give free sashimi/small plates occasionally.

Padaek/BG - their staff turns over frequently. First year or so, a very sweet Hmong man and a nice Thai lady used to take care of me, not sure what happened to him, and she is now a manager or something higher level at Thip Khao.