I am staying at the Pickwick Hotel in San Francisco, which is a combination boutique and dive. But for convenience sake, one of its restaurants is Soma, and I've been there about 3-4 times this week. When busy, Soma tops 90 decibels. But it's food is surprisingly good. The menu trends Mediterranean, with hints of NoCal here and there.

I have had the carpaccio at happy hour, and it's $7 price tag is the steal of San Francisco. It's ridiculously good for that price.

The chicken kabob comes with remarkably good fresh vegetables and a perfect mold of jasmine rice. 

The New York strip is so perfect to look at -- appears formed from chopped meat -- but comes out of the kitchen a perfect medium rare to rare, juicy and delicious.

Pizza is perfect San Francisco pizza -- nice puffy crust with fresh and abundant toppings.

Meatballs are a hit, and almost every table orders them.

Combination lamb and beef burger is the best burger within 5 blocks of the Moscone Center.

I'm not saying this is fine dining as far as the San Francisco dining scene is concerned. But this is my last night in San Francisco on this trip, and I can Uber anywhere, but I'm going downstairs to Soma.