Special Occasion Meal in DC - Both Vegetarian and non-Vegetarian (and Teen-) Friendly

sheldman

It falls to me to make reservation (for June, don't worry) for special occasion dinner for 7 in the District.  Not really worried about price because I am not paying :)  Only trick is that youngest generation is vegetarian while oldest generation is decidedly not.  Online menus or sample menus at Metier, Kinship, and Mirabelle suggest practically nothing for the teen vegetarians.  And I would prefer not to put them in the awkward position of having to ask for something off-menu (and would optimally prefer that they have actual options rather than both having to order "the one vegetarian app and the one vegetarian main").  But along the lines of those restaurants, is there a place that is GREAT these days and would fit the bill better, making both the traditionalist grandparents and the young veges happy and making me happy because the food is awesome?  Or am I underestimating how accommodating Kinship or Mirabelle, for instance, would want to be?  Thank you.

I'd check with your top choices to see if they could accommodate the vegetarian teens without making them feel awkward. Since definitions of vegetarianism vary, do they eat fish/seafood? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pat said:

I'd check with your top choices to see if they could accommodate the vegetarian teens without making them feel awkward. Since definitions of vegetarianism vary, do they eat fish/seafood? 

Thank you.  Yeah if they were fish-acceptant this would be much easier.  But I think dietary preferences are cool so I don't mind.  :)

10 minutes ago, sheldman said:

Thank you.  Yeah if they were fish-acceptant this would be much easier.  But I think dietary preferences are cool so I don't mind.  :)

I find that a plus.  Less people at the table that want to partake in one's lobster ravioli.  😛

• Like 1

Would Rasika or Bombay Club be possibilities?  It may also be worth seeing what Corduroy could do for you.  My wife doesn't eat 4-legged creatures, and they kept coming back asking about whether this would be a problem or that would be a problem.  For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if they  put together a vegetarian tasting menu for them, while the rest of you indulge in the regular tasting menu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbh said:

Would Rasika or Bombay Club be possibilities? 

Teens need to be not only "veg-acceptant," but "Indian-acceptant." Indian spicing isn't something that comes naturally to an American palate (although, when it does come, it comes fast and furious) - ask the teens if they've ever had Indian cuisine, and act accordingly - nearly all Indian restaurants are vegetarian-friendly (although Bombay Club *might* (emphasis: "might") be less so.

You know what is great? Chaia. If fast-casual is within the realm of possibility, this might be your answer.

• Like 1

I'd either do Fancy Radish (which is vegan, but good enough that nonvegans love it too) or check with Kinship to see what they say about vegan options.  I don't think I've had anything vegan there, but I'd bet they would be able to come up with a few options and it's a go-to for us. 

Kapnos Kouzina in Bethesda, Graffiato, or Oyamel are my veggie teen's preferred venues for these kinds of meals.  May not be as fancy as what you had in mind (and Graffiato requires grandparents who can handle stairs).  All are places we’ve had really nice extended family feasts (including dessert) and didn’t feel rushed.

I should add that Bombay Club would freak my teen out (the stuffiness — not the food).

Take a look at Chloe. It's not necessarily a quiet place, and I wouldn't place it in the high end fine dining category, but the food is superb. (See the Chloe thread for my recent experience).

Might be tough getting a reservation unless you'd like to dine early, which we did, and I recommend. The area is growing quickly, and it's fun to walk around before and/or after dinner.

Apologies for perhaps slightly hijacking his thread, but does anyone have any related suggestions (12 adults, not too casual - think work related gathering, some vegetarians) in Alexandria (or National Harbor)?  Needs to accommodate a vegetarian or two, several with unknown tastes (so trying to avoid too intense spicing like Indian or Thai), as well as people who actually like food and would really rather not be stuck eating someplace overpriced and mediocre in national harbor.  I’ve looked through the menu for everyplace I could think of (good to mediocre) in Old Town and could barely find any that had more than one veg main, and even that often felt like an afterthought. Finally, it also needs to be open Monday (which excludes Vaso’s on King).

Thanks,

Noam

3 hours ago, noamb said:

Apologies for perhaps slightly hijacking his thread, but does anyone have any related suggestions (12 adults, not too casual - think work related gathering, some vegetarians) in Alexandria (or National Harbor)?  Needs to accommodate a vegetarian or two, several with unknown tastes (so trying to avoid too intense spicing like Indian or Thai), as well as people who actually like food and would really rather not be stuck eating someplace overpriced and mediocre in national harbor.  I’ve looked through the menu for everyplace I could think of (good to mediocre) in Old Town and could barely find any that had more than one veg main, and even that often felt like an afterthought. Finally, it also needs to be open Monday (which excludes Vaso’s on King).

Thanks,

Noam

Could you get them to Jaleo in Crystal City?

14 hours ago, noamb said:

Yeah, I hadn’t thought about that possibility.

I had written off Jaleo Crystal City long ago, but I went maybe two years ago, and it was really good.

The thing with ThinkFoodGroup is, as José Andrés becomes more-and-more famous (and my God he has gotten famous), better-and-better people are willing to work at their satellite restaurants.

I'm glad you know about Vaso's - now *that* is a completely overlooked gem, although I urge you to try the original one if you haven't.

I actually like the original Vaso’s quite a bit better than the King St location, although it’s less vegetarian friendly. More in the “you don’t eat meat? That’s ok, we’ll make chicken” style of Greek cooking.

• Haha 1