Tysons Corner Center (1968-), the 9th-Largest Shopping Mall in the USA, and 51st-Largest in the World

DonRocks

In one of my OCD, "nobody-cares-but-me" moments of fret, I've been stewing about whether to continue calling this area "Tysons Corner," which it will always be for me, or the newly coined "Tysons," which seems to be what it's turning into.

Although I don't remember what things were like before 1968, when Lerner Enterprises (the family which owns the Washington Nationals, and the largest private landowner in the Washington, DC area) built Tysons Corner Center, I do remember comfortably driving there from Silver Spring in about twenty minutes (really - even during rush hour, when cars would go at 45 mph instead of 55 mph).

What I didn't realize this morning is that Tysons Corner Center is larger than Potomac Mills; I had always been under the impression that Potomac Mills is substantially larger; not only is Tysons Corner Center larger, it's fully 50% larger! It's also the largest mall in Virginia, the 9th-largest mall in the USA, and the 51st-largest mall in the world.

Does anyone else notice a slow-moving effort to rename "Tysons Corner, VA" as "Tysons, VA?"