Anthony Bourdain (1956-2018) Dies at Age 61

weezy

Man, Bourdain's career was like a comet - I remember so well his being on eGullet in 2004. We did a radio show together on WETA a few years after - he was a really nice person (if perhaps fatally flawed - there are things about him that I've heard which might have contributed to this, and I'm sure as heck not going to trot them out right now) - he was also good friends with José.

First Kate Spade, now Anthony Bourdain - ugh.

I hope these two have found peace. :(

I was really shocked by this, and sad for his family.  I do feel terrible for Eric Ripert too, (who I joke to my husband is one of my if he was ever interested, I might have to get divorced list (his includes Marissa Tomei)).  I had read some of his books, went to a couple talks and watched his shows devotedly.  For those that like to travel, there aren't a lot of good travel shows, and I liked the feel you got from many of his shows.  I just also liked episodes like the one with Sean Brock and Bill Murray.  I could tell he had his own issues, but it is really hard to see someone with so much going for them, and who admitted publicly had a very lucky life, have such depression.  My heart hurts a little.

3 hours ago, dracisk said:

Sososo sad. I went to the Post website to read about the Caps and found this.

I loved when he and Obama ate on tiny stools in Vietnam.

I saw a tweet, and it had pictures from the restaurant they ate at, it said they were so honored they framed the table and chairs, too cool.   It is very bittersweet to read all the posts on twitter about him.

obama bourdain.jpg

• Like 3

I'd like to reiterate that depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorder and the like, all suck. Many things* can help.

But here's the important part: If you see a friend who is depressed or anxious, reach out to them. They might not know where to start. Also, if your friend is harder and harder to nail down for a lunch or conversation, check in.

Many years ago, I talked someone down from the proverbial ledge. He reached out to me again Wednesday and I am glad to be here for that guy. At this point, I think he's going to battle bipolar disorder his entire life but hope that I am always here for him or reach out to him when he goes quite for too long.

NIH's mental health starting point:
https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/index.shtml

*minor depressive mood, for example, can be lifted with moderate exercise. Other disorders, like bipolar, likely need medical intervention.

For Don's periodic table project I offer Li

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium

• Like 3

My wife and I had a drive-by experience of sorts with AB. We were at Jacques Torres in NYC and in walks AB with a producer and some camera guys and they just set up and sstart talking and filming. It was so random. We enjoyed our snack and drinks and watched for awhile before leaving. He and I are both tall guys. We caught a glance of each other was we were walking out and I got the 'tall person nod' above the rest of the folks milling about.

I didn’t know AB.  I met him a couple of times years ago when the food obsessed world was much smaller, I’ve watched his several TV series & I’ve read much of what he wrote — including posts on several food board sites where he was a member.  But I didn’t know him personally.  And yet, I find myself saddened as if I did.  Really pissed that he’s now gone.  I really wanted him to “live long & prosper”, to be happy.  I have no idea - nor should I - of why he, apparently, wasn’t.  I’ll miss his voice.  RIP Tony.  I’m sorry you’re gone.

• Like 1