Mosaic District - No Rent Required

Ericandblueboy

That article is weird, Virginia General District Court has a $25,000 limit, so why would they sue in FFX GDC?  And I don't think it is possible to get that award out of that court, there must be some error in that article.  Circuit Court where they are suing now would be the only place they could get that high of an award (the 600-700k amount). Or I am somehow losing my mind?  

3 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Landlord Sues Mike Isabella for $715,000 in Back Rent and Fees, per Eater.  

Allegedly Isbella didn't pay rent for the Requin space.  All he did is continue the tradition started by RJ Cooper for not paying rent for Gypsy Soul.

I don't really understand why Eden allowed the restaurants to operate without paying rent.  Someone care to explain?

"Someone care to explain?"   I don't understand it either.  I was a commercial broker working on deals like this one.  I knew rental rates tenants and landlords very well. 

I don't understand it either!!!!   That is a lot of rent over a lot of months. 

Was somebody asleep at the wheel? 

3 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

That article is weird, Virginia General District Court has a $25,000 limit, so why would they sue in FFX GDC?  And I don't think it is possible to get that award out of that court, there must be some error in that article.  Circuit Court where they are suing now would be the only place they could get that high of an award (the 600-700k amount). Or I am somehow losing my mind?  

No, it must be the Circuit Court (honestly, I thought the General District Court had a limit of $10,000, but I was wrong).

Do you think Jennifer Carroll didn't know about this? I'm not saying she did anything wrong; I'm saying this might be a contributing factor to her departure (don't forget, there's some type of weird gag order, so her silence means very little).

It looks like Washington Business Journal came out with this yesterday, although it's subscription-only, and I can't read the article.

So they basically paid the initial set up rent and then....stopped. 2+ years of no rent? At all? That is pathetic. That said, the commercial leaseholder is also basically stupid for not far earlier enforcing the collection of the contractually obligated (I assume) rent.

Does anyone know if Mike Isabella has gone back to cooking full-time at Graffiato like he said before any of this happened?

(I never understood why he would do that after having bought such an expensive condominium at The Wharf, but that's not my business.)

RJ Cooper used to post regularly in the Gypsy Soul thread, and after his restaurant was shut down I saw there was a nice long post from him and I thought it was going to be an explanation/apology/whatever, but it was just a lot of long rambling rubbish that said basically nothing at all. Kind of peeved me a little. What was all that about??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kgottwald said:

RJ Cooper used to post regularly in the Gypsy Soul thread, and after his restaurant was shut down I saw there was a nice long post from him and I thought it was going to be an explanation/apology/whatever, but it was just a lot of long rambling rubbish that said basically nothing at all. Kind of peeved me a little. What was all that about??

I'm not sure. I had dinner at RJ's restaurant at the W Hotel in Nashville last year, and it was really good; now, he's doing something in Atlantic City.