District Dumplings - Merrifield Dumpling House Opening Second Location in South Arlington

50 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Apr 30, 2018 - "New Korean-Vietnamese Restaurant Coming to Arlington Ridge" by Bridget Reed Morawski on arlnow.com

There are informal signs up for this at 2921 S. Glebe Rd. (the former Arlington Diner space).

I don't mean to be kicking a beloved institution, but Arlington Diner was awful - I'd only been there once, but it was pretty close to abysmal.

---

But that's not why I'm writing - in the former Domino's Pizza space, at 2923 S. Glebe Rd, in-between the former Arlington Diner space and Starbucks, there's a small, hand-written sign up in the window that says "xxxxx Dumplings" (I can't remember what xxxxx is - it's something like Chinese Dumplings, or Asian Dumplings - I only glanced at it today, and I'm pretty sure the second word is "Dumpling" or "Dumplings.") Anyway, there's your non-news of the day. I'm not even certain if this is a separate restaurant, or if it's going to be part of 2921 S. Glebe Rd.

District Dumplings:

Jun 6, 2018 - "District Dumplings Set To Open New Location in Arlington Ridge Shopping Center" by Alex Koma on arlnow.com

31 minutes ago, lovehockey said:

District Dumplings:

Jun 6, 2018 - "District Dumplings Set To Open New Location in Arlington Ridge Shopping Center" by Alex Koma on arlnow.com

Bingo! Thank you.

Does anyone know how arlnow.com gets hold of such arcane bits of information? Obviously, they have access to certain governmental applications - there's no other way they could so consistently come up with stories such as this. If it's a paid-subscription thing (it shouldn't be, since it's public information), I'll be glad to monitor it as well; I just have no idea how to go about doing it, and I suspect arlnow might not be overly anxious to share their source. Still, I've lived in Arlington for over 10 years now, and should probably think about keeping up with things such as this, as opposed to randomly stumbling onto them.

(In case anyone hasn't noticed, I've been winging this whole thing since day one.)

When the time is right, I'll be happy to do a "Takohachi" vs. "District Dumplings" Dump-off. I can even post pictures along with my personal descriptions, and let people decide which is which. P.S. Where did I dine? (Answer there, not here, please :))

• Like 1

stopped at the Mosaic District location of District Dumplings today.  The location is down a short side street where Brine is on the corner, then a Cheesetique has opened there as well, and then the dumpling shop.  They have a nice mix-and-match option of 10 dumplings for $10 ($1 extra per Peking duck dumpling) and a nice variety to pick from, standard crescent shaped dumplings as well as shumai in the mix-and-match for $10, plus they have soup dumplings.  I went with a mixed batch of standard dumplings, steamed:  chicken & basil, kale, pork & celery, and bulgogi.  The wrappers are nice and thin, slippery  and lightly chewy.  I thought the fillings were pretty good, with the chicken and basil being my favorite and the bulgogi being my least favorite -- mostly a texture thing, since it had little chunks of meat and air pockets, where they other dumplings had ground-up fillings for a more homogeneous texture against the wrapper.  Sauces were sriracha, Kikkoman soy, and hoisin sauce.  I wish they had a ponzu sauce.  They are cooked to order, so it was about 15-20 minutes for my order to be brought to the table.  A sign on the register noted when the place is busy, it can take 30-40 minutes to get an order to the table.  You can see most of the kitchen while standing at the register and it's easy to see that a busy restaurant could back up quickly.  There isn't a lot of seating, maybe 30 or so inside, and a couple of 2-tops on the patio outside.  The staff is friendly and helpful.  

All in all, a nice stop for a $10 lunch.

• Like 3

Had district dumplings the other day- mix and match bulgogi, curry, kale, edamame and pork and something.  We also did the soup dumplings and split them.  I thought the soup dumpling wrappers were a bit thick, especially on top, so you ended up with some spurters, Bob's is definitely better, but much further away than where we live.  I thought the other dumplings had great flavors, but the wrappers were kind of a hot mess and kept falling apart.  So tasty, but could use a little work.  I might try to copy some of the fillings though, I thought they were all really tasty.  Will be interesting to compare to the dumpling place in Pendleton Carryout.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StarStraf said:

We ate at the Arlington location last night - they were out of soup dumplings - POUT but the dumplings and shumai were very good - the chicken basil dumpling were my favorite.  Need to go back for soup dumplings sometime.

Free jasmine tea and water available

Do you get the feeling these dumplings would carry out well? I don't mean for an hour, but for 10-15 minutes?

Also, I believe they have numerous types of dumplings, right? If so, what would (and wouldn't) you recommend, based on your (presumably limited) experience?

Are you missing Taiwan? :)