"Summit" - The World's Fastest Supercomputer, and Proof That Dinosaurs Still Roam the Earth

DonRocks

Most people don't know this (why would they?), but I'm probably one of the youngest people on Earth to have an MS in Computer Science, never having had used a "personal computer" for the duration of my degree.

Yep, I got my MS in 1984, and never once - not one single time - laid eyes on a computer. We worked on "terminals" - CRTs - that were connected to the IBM Mainframe who-knows-where.

Only in 1985, when I got a job, did I have my first encounter with a desktop computer. They were as foreign to me as CDs, erm, never mind.

Anyway, back then, I took a fascination to the Cray-1 - the world's fastest supercomputer at the time (pretty much). I remember reading about it in the Guinness Book of World Records - it was invented in 1975, and a total of 80 units were sold.

The Cray-1 had a processing speed of 160 MFLOPS (or Mega-FLOPS, or Millions of Floating-Point Operations per Second). In 1982, they actually came out with a Cray-X-MP, which operated at 800 MFLOPS - five-times the processing speed - but I didn't even really pay attention to this; it was always the Cray-1 that captured my imagination. (Knowing what a floating-point instruction is isn't important; just picture assigning a value of 1 to X - while not entirely accurate, that's close enough.)

Fast-forward to Jun 8, 2018:

"5 Ways the World's Fastest Supercomputer Could Change the World" by Edd Gent on nbcnews.com

This article is about the "Summit" - the "new" version of the Cray-1. The Summit operates at 200 PFLOPS (or Peta-FLOPS, or Quadrillions of Floating-Point Operations per Second). I'll spare you the math, but the Summit is ONE BILLION times faster than the Cray-1 was!

To put that in perspective, what the Summit can do in 1 second, would have taken the Cray-1 almost 32 years.

If the Cray-1 had started working on a problem shortly after I got my MS in Computer Science in 1984, and finished it 2-3 years ago - Summit could have started and finished the same problem when you were halfway through reading this sentence.