Breakfast - The Early-Morning, Polyphonic Food Blog

txaggie

7 hours ago, Katya4me said:

Molletes are amazing.  Particularly when you may have overindulged on Mexican margaritas the night before.  I'm told.

For the pico, try swapping out habanero for the jalapeno.  Make sure to strip out the membrane (would this be the pith?) and seeds to avoid torching your mouth, though.

Breakfast this morning.  I saw a YouTube video that looked interesting and gave it a spin today.  It is very easy to do so gets points for that and reasonably tasty. If/when I make it again tonight, I'd either use thinner cheese or just 1 slice, and pepper or otherwise add a bit more seasoning.

IMG_20220129_080708695.jpg

This morning's breakfast: https://entomofarms.com/featured_item/traditional-pancakes-cricket-twist/. Little heavy but very tasty with butter and maple syrup.

I bought a bag of the flour last year, forgot about it and we were going through the pantry the other week for outdated items.  It's coming up on its expiration date so I decided I needed to use it up.

I think I'm going to make this recipe later today: https://entomofarms.com/featured_item/chocolate-coffee-cricket-muffins/

My husband is out of town this week and the house is far too quiet. I went for a run this morning but none of the group stuck around for the normal breakfast at Panera so I headed home while I figured out what I wanted for breakfast myself. I decided to make these ridiculously unhealthy pancakes: https://www.thekitchn.com/bacon-egg-and-cheese-stuffed-savory-pancakes-recipe-23334301.  I'd done some caramelized bacon earlier this week so I used that. Bit of maple syrup mixed with Sriracha and basted over the bacon before baking for 20 minutes.

I invited a friend over for brunch and made sangria, just to be a little bit extra.  Jug of cheap white sangria, a clementine Izzi, frozen pineapple and blueberries and fresh diced apples made up the sangria and it chilled in the fridge while I made the pancakes.  Absolutely delightful. :)

IMG_20220423_114944014.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Katya4me said:

My husband is out of town this week and the house is far too quiet. I went for a run this morning but none of the group stuck around for the normal breakfast at Panera so I headed home while I figured out what I wanted for breakfast myself. I decided to make these ridiculously unhealthy pancakes: https://www.thekitchn.com/bacon-egg-and-cheese-stuffed-savory-pancakes-recipe-23334301.  I'd done some caramelized bacon earlier this week so I used that. Bit of maple syrup mixed with Sriracha and basted over the bacon before baking for 20 minutes.

I invited a friend over for brunch and made sangria, just to be a little bit extra.  Jug of cheap white sangria, a clementine Izzi, frozen pineapple and blueberries and fresh diced apples made up the sangria and it chilled in the fridge while I made the pancakes.  Absolutely delightful. :)

IMG_20220423_114944014.jpg

Oh my. Would love an invite the next time you make these.😆

• Like 1

I had a house guest who was not copacetic with my morning routine of fruit and yogurt! On Sunday night we grilled Italian sausage with onions and peppers. Monday’s breakfast omelette was diced Italian sausage and the leftover peppers and onions plus chili flakes. Very good. 

• Like 2

Tried for a twist on a Spanish tortilla this morning: https://spainonafork.com/spanish-tortilla-with-mushrooms-dates-manchego-cheese/

Went for the flip and it didn't cooperate, so I popped it under the broiler and called it a frittata.  I halved the recipe but still got 4 slices out of it so we had each had a slice of that and a slice of toast for breakfast. The remainder will be breakfast tomorrow.  

If/when I make it again, I'll do thinner slices of mushroom but otherwise, easy and delicious.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 8:42 AM, Katya4me said:

Went for the flip and it didn't cooperate, so I popped it under the broiler and called it a frittata.

The fritata saves many meals. It's my go-to, even when I'm not intending to go to it.

• Like 1

Breakfast this morning: https://yestoyolks.com/2022/05/19/egg-in-a-bagel-hole-with-cheese-prosciutto/

Bit saltier than I would like, so would try to fix that before making again but very easy and a nice spin on egg in a hole.  I used very thin cheddar cheese slices and Asiago cheese bagels.  Made 4 from 2 bagels and 1 each was enough for us, so we'll have the leftovers for breakfast tomorrow.

• Like 2

Trying something different as my mom started doing collagen protein a year ago and swears by it.  I'm not a fan of protein powders in drinks, so decided to try this option: https://www.lifeslittlesweets.com/mocha-collagen-protein-drink-recipe/  I have reduced the protein powder amounts slightly, just because I don't drink my coffee fast enough, but I'm giving it a month or so to see if it makes a difference.  I made some biscuits from a tube and had with a slice of pepper jack cheese and an easy over egg for breakfast.  

uL474JNioa02tEFM1ezzfqBEjOkO5xhEfO1DzAwjZzeuLB-utGh12GMYwYChAb0xwvJGH6zUWENGy2WgFpANjUY0s_ZHDjq3Co0_qye-m402_k7h1ZgOZspFkcOtJwYuqbx2GIDntjrQ5AcwqFHzGKKY3NWQPrycpqtx1NQPbdjyzODfgBWdHJQzrsi8adZzjagmf-vr2wv7M0aE3gFQDgsvtA4OxYJMjllGXmVgCjU4mGwnhDllnj4WNKsMJrnoKdSJsCtEP7LdF-Sw8xpcmqT_tcvD5e3GJJd6tV7tFFoY7bXP6dcvY5Z71UK-9jqFXBHx6k9tVYAj0__3OuFYlp_deESEvrZkrTg2YzmzL0d6jUy6S3xQVTTS4wgkvGwBVJt-UsSYlStnr7WdT4-QIgwWqNYRXvxdVTlcn270meF0Mm6KFyF3_IaWwsgmO9YNlakoYLml6Ouu8tRiDA7uSrAHhDMyHtV-pm_xrkLNB_0T83QdUGfgfxsi1KM1nPr4LevBC2QfTJuCVmXgFew8xV7E9xtK-PoHdOnR3c_5tKBTlcdJkJBRkydB0CgUruvOvhSoBvY0JeNSQj9VGAcq7WcP9_bgEBdQ9n513HvxneQ0q47jG-xwl9tb26JCTLhFedVOM6BUHxAlOhZ7Yu9SckhRZSZKwfVA-PaFeNqTXkmOHC_la3IgeTjsiPdvDhPsBkeM_AZ67OCOH1GLxX8rhtcE5PQzlHEyshFH_pjFMUrqEftPjmh2cEXVynJ4AAc=w928-h937-no?authuser=0

• Like 1

A British friend gifted me 2 egg coddlers, so I gave coddled eggs a try this weekend.  I followed this recipe, and added a sprinkle of grated Cotija cheese and a squirt of Italian herbs paste.  I set them in boiling water for 9 min.  Added a slice of homemade toast, cut into dipping soldiers and breakfast was served.  Unfortunately, either they were in the water for too long, or they sat in the coddlers for too long before serving, as they were closer to hard-boiled than runny centers.  However, I liked the concept and taste, so will definitely try again another time.  

• Like 1

I bought a Costco rotisserie chicken, and was not happy with the way it tasted, so I took all of the meat off of the bone. I decided to make burritos for the freezer.

I put together some homemade enchilada sauce with a few dried chilies I had in the pantry, canned tomatoes, chicken stock, spices. And then I doctored up a can of fat free refried beans from Trader Joe’s. I mixed the chicken with a little bit of the sauce. For assembly, I spread the beans on the tortilla, then put in some chicken, then a little drizzle of sauce, then pre-shredded “quesadilla cheese.” I had one for dinner last night with a little extra cheese melted on the top and some sauce. Tasty. 

I had nopales at a restaurant recently and I was curious to try them at home.  I found this recipe for vegan breakfast tacos and decided to give it a try.  I roasted the cactus the night before and then made the tofu scramble in the morning.  I really enjoyed how it turned out, but I would probably halve the recipe in the future because it made a ton of servings.

• Like 1