Comet Ping-Pong - GM James Alfantis' Pizza and Ping-Pong on Connecticut Avenue in Upper NW

I was there the first night Comet opened to the public and TS was at eating at the booth next to me. Can't say that he didn't get there early on after they opened.

he made some comments in his weekly chat suggesting that there were problems with the food and service, so i guess he waited until he thought they had improved. our few early visits found the pizza good. also, there was dessert from the outset -- chocolate cake. the sundae additions, or versions of them, have previously appeared at buck's, where no apologists, for the cooking at least, are usually needed.

he made some comments in his weekly chat suggesting that there were problems with the food and service, so i guess he waited until he thought they had improved.
He did, and that's not a courtesy extended to any of the other places mentioned upthread. I'm a fan of the pizza, but Greenwood and Alefantis got a major pass from Sietsema.

I agree with him that Chef Greenwood has an extraordinary way with the ordinary - at extraordinary prices. The prices for the pizza toppings are probably the worst value for the money in town.

ETA: and the quality goes way, way down if someone other than Chef Greenwood is cooking.

He did, and that's not a courtesy extended to any of the other places mentioned upthread. I'm a fan of the pizza, but Greenwood and Alefantis got a major pass from Sietsema.

I agree with him that Chef Greenwood has an extraordinary way with the ordinary - at extraordinary prices. The prices for the pizza toppings are probably the worst value for the money in town.

there may have been some flukes, but i thought the restaurant was quite extraordinary from the start, and an unfavorable review, in my opinion, would have misrepresented the place. however, i think the post review really played down the cutting-edge feel of comet, which i perceive as being really out there and nothing close to a nostalgic pizza parlor -- except maybe from the twilight zone.

The prices for the pizza toppings are probably the worst value for the money in town.

Until you realize they're farmer's-market stuff instead of Sysco - then they become worth every penny and more (at least they are to me).

To throw a log on the fire, I propose that many restaurants that Sietsema reviews, especially the Big Ones, are substantially worse six months after he reviews them, so maybe they're the ones getting the free pass by being able to put on a full-court press during review season. (I can assure everyone here with 100% certainty that this is a common industry practice, and it has only become easier and cheaper for the restaurants to pull it off now that reviews tend to come out earlier.)

Cheers,
Rocks.

Seating question for those who have been: how large is the bar area at Comet? We may go for dinner tonight and have a small group meet us later for drinks before moving on. Presuming there may not be room for them to join us as we finish up at a table, is there standing around space where they could grab a drink? Is the back ping pong area meant for this anyway?

My wife and I went for the first time this past weekend. We liked the concept and kitsch - probably the best ping pong game in town. But we hated the pizza. Everyone has different tastes, especially for pizza, and Comet did NOT suit our tastes. It was like eating a giant saltine with toppings. I mean this in the full sense - we were served big very salty crackers made to look like pizzas. The "crust" crackled all the way through to the center when we cut it (note it wasn't burnt, it was just so thin) and my wife couldn't finish her tomato pie (ie standard cheese), because she was overwhelmed by salt and she LOVES salty foods. My olive, greens, riccota #3 special pie was worse. It was super dry and the greens lost all flavor in cooking. The caesar salad was fine though.

The place was packed with a wait and a crowded bar, so people definitely seem to like this pizza. Although I'm not sure why. I checked out other people's tables to see if we had bad pies, but everyone else's looked the same. This is just not for me. Be forewarned, this is a DIFFERENT kind of pizza. I'll stick to Vace and 2Amys, both close by.

We took two friends (one a West-Coaster, and you know weird they are) last night and gave them the now-standard "you either love it or hate it" spiel. They loved it. And I even had a decent French Syrah (the caraffe white wine remains a bit swillish, though).

I think I understand why the ANC guy was pissed about the ping-pong table: it seems to be attracting the rowdy sort of young people that make ANC commissioners nervous. Lots of good ink -- and that was only the girls. I was glad to see Jamie and Carol making a few bucks (Buck's?), I was worried there for a moment.

But then the food at Buck's goes downhill. :angry:
Maybe she should consider cloning herself? B)

Jokes aside, we've been twice when she was not there and the pizzas were dramatically different (oversalted, crusts too thin/burned, toppings unevenly distributed) to the point where I would consider walking out if she's not there.

Excellent service tonight, but the pizzas could have used a little more oversight. The eggplant/basil/smoked mozz was missing its basil, and the softshell pizza had one crab rather than the two we remembered from the last time (Carole was not in the kitchen). Great espresso and tin roof sundae, and the wines have dramatically improved. The place was jumping at 5:30; good to see that Tom's nice review has had some effect.

FWIW, I've gotten it 3-4 times and have never seen it with two crabs.
It must have been good enough to make me see double, then. My mistake. Or maybe I'm remembering correctly and got a bonus because I'm special. :angry: Maybe it depends on the size of the crabs they get in. Anyway, last night's example was probably the best seasoned I've had. If you like soft shells and haven't tried this yet - go.

Hmmm....

Some friends from Maine have been driving around down here in more southern climes, visiting family and such. They'll be in town for a couple of days and I was thinking this might be a good time to share a softshell pizza and maybe distract some of the traffic headed up Connecticut Avenue.

However, recent comments here and in an even more theatrical thread give me pause.

Should I be waiting for Greenwood?

Godot someplace else?

N.B. Monitors, since we're all locals for the most part, there doesn't seem to be a where-should-we-go tradition at DR. Feel free to break this off into its own topic should feedback multiply or veer off-topic. This couple is decidedly Francophilic and classy-casual. His favorite food is phenominal cheese. She says "arugula" and bakes incredible baguettes. I already have a few alternatives in mind, but I really am posting because initial raves for CPP have been replaced by ambivalence.

It was like eating a giant saltine with toppings. I mean this in the full sense - we were served big very salty crackers made to look like pizzas. The "crust" crackled all the way through to the center when we cut it (note it wasn't burnt, it was just so thin)
I have found the quality of the pizza varies - when Carole is there it's much better.
Hmmm....

Should I be waiting for Greenwood?

I had my first "giant saltine" experience last night, the softshell crab pizza being quite dry, with even the two tiny crabs lacking moisture. There were way too many herbs on the pie. No, Carole was not there, but she hasn't been there before and the pizzas have been great. I've had this particular pizza four or five times now, and this was the first failure - and a failure it was. Two other pizzas (the "Smoky" and a garlic, pepperoni, and Italian sausage) were very, very good, although not quite up to the usual high standards here. They weren't serving the Hot Wings. The salads appeared limpid. Desserts featured variants of ice cream without any cake or baked goods. The Chianti by the carafe (2005 Castello di Poppiano if I recall) is nasty, although a carafe of Chardonnay is worth ordering (a Domaine de Martinolles, I think - Comet is putting some thought into their carafe wines.) Overall an off night which I wouldn't even mention except that I've touted this place so highly in the past.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I have found the quality of the pizza varies - when Carole is there it's much better.

I have a problem with this, a problem compounded by the lively discussion of Bebo's faultless off-menu pizza. Well, not a problem with the statement of fact but a problem with the implication that the diner should accept less simply because a big name chef is not behind the pass line (Heather, I don't know if that's what you were getting at or not, but don't stop me now, I'm on a roll ...).

Step back from the food-bloggin', insider-dishin', snark-slingin' mindset that necessarily inhabits a board like DR, a world where most restaurant visits are preceded by an online investigation of what the kitchen is doing particularly well that week (or what special off menu items should be requested). 99% of the dining public could give a shit about who is cooking their food. When they do give a shit it's because they see the chef's name in lights outside and wrongly assume that their food is in for some special attention from you-know-who. It's the job of a properly run restaurant to make that distinction a moot point. I don't care if Carole Greenwood is firing my pizza; I care that the rest of the BOH has been trained well enough to duplicate the experience. Forgive the bluntness, but isn't this Kitchen Management 101? I don't mean to pick on Greenwood in particular (really, I don't), but I share the sentiment expressed in the Bebo thread that having insider's knowledge should not be a prerequisite for a good dining experience.

I share the sentiment expressed in the Bebo thread that having insider's knowledge should not be a prerequisite for a good dining experience.

Then don't read this website, and don't read any dining guides - just walk into any restaurant randomly and take your chances. Shouldn't Burger King be just as good as Citronelle, at least to the person arriving from Mars?

Yeah, I know, reductio ad absurdum, and yet...

How do you know 1964 was a great Bordeaux vintage, but only in the right bank?

How do you know to avoid the desserts at Sunflower?

How do you know Pho 75 in Arlington is better than the one in Rockville?

How do you know China Star isn't still putting out the best Szechuan cooking in the area? How did you know it ever was?

If you're looking for consistency across the menu at all times, you've got Per Se (maybe), and then it's a long way down to Artie's, further still to McDonald's.

It would be nice if we could read the Constitution and know what every single judge is going to say, but that just isn't reality.

An exercise in principle is a wonderful thing; a well-cooked pork chop is even better.

Cheers,

Rocks.

It's one thing to know what to order, it's another thing to have to work through three or four layers of mistrained or misperforming staff to get through to the nerve center to use the insider information. And I'm sure signor Donna isn't working seven doubles a week.

I don't care if Carole Greenwood is firing my pizza; I care that the rest of the BOH has been trained well enough to duplicate the experience.
That was the point I was trying to make by mentioning that the pizza is better when she is there - that the rest of the BOH has not been trained well enough to duplicate the experience. I wholly reject the notion that you have to have some insider knowledge to get a great meal, and anyplace that requires you to do so is not doing its job.

I wholly reject the notion that you have to have some insider knowledge to get a great meal, and anyplace that requires you to do so is not doing its job.

Let's keep in mind who we're talking about here (notice I said who and not what) - Comet Ping Pong and Bebo Trattoria: Two of the greatest, CHEF-DRIVEN restaurants in town as opposed to dogshit such as Pizza Hut and Domino's.

Refer to my recent criticism of Blue Duck Tavern, which needs to be interpreted in context, because even on its worst day, that restaurant is better and more meaningful than just about anywhere else in the West End.

We can all agree that the reason we're criticizing these places is because they're actually WORTH discussing, right?

Shouldn't Burger King be just as good as Citronelle, at least to the person arriving from Mars?

Comet Ping Pong and Bebo Trattoria: Two of the greatest, CHEF-DRIVEN restaurants in town as opposed to dogshit such as Pizza Hut and Domino's.

Don, I should have known better than to do battle with you. Your army of straw men is quite impressive :angry:

Look, it's obvious that he or she with the best restaurant industry knowledge wins in any dining experience. What I and others are arguing is that this should not be a barrier to entry. I think we all want Bebo and Comet to be great, all the time, but that's just not the case right now is it? Places should rightfully be criticized if the chef's physical presence in the kitchen is a determinant of good food quality (note I said good, not transcedent). On my one and only visit to Comet chef was not in the kitchen, and I liked my soft shell pizza just fine for what it was (I'm still in the 2 Amy's camp, though), so I'm merely responding to the criticisms of consistency posted by others. In the case of Bebo I have stayed far away; the potential hassle doesn't seem worth the effort to visit Crystal City. Sure, label me a D.C. dining wimp, but my entertainment dollars are stretched thin enough as it is. Using the information from folks on this board and others I'm crossing it off the list. In other words, I'm following your sarcastic advice:

Then don't read this website, and don't read any dining guides - just walk into any restaurant randomly and take your chances.

had a wonderful meal here recently. yes there is usually a wait. b ut it's worth it. yes, some edges of the pizza can be a bit TOO blistered. But overall, the softshell pizza was glorious. IMO even the plain old "plain" was great. The wings were very interesting- marinated in an asian style sauce with chili peppers and some sweetness to cut the heat.

The desserts are nothing special, nor do they really try to be.

I'm not looking for a Citronelle experience here. I want great thin crust pizza- different than what i'm getting at Paradiso or 2 Amys. and this place delivered- w/o Greenwood in the kitchen. a tiny bit- say 5% of the pizza crust overcooked- i'm willing to live with that for the remaining 95% that is great.

I'll pipe up on the positive side. 'Cept I can't quite since my throat's kind of sore from shouting. Not the best place to have an extended catch-up conversation, but liked just about everything else about it. Too zonked to say more. Won't compare it to Sally's which was where I went when I lived on Wooster Street, but great crust. Absolutely terrific and adorable service, too.

Excellent service tonight, but the pizzas could have used a little more oversight...and the softshell pizza had one crab rather than the two we remembered from the last time (Carole was not in the kitchen).
We asked about the softshell crab and were told there was only one and it was cut up and and strewn around the pizza.

Since there were three of us and we were splitting 2 pizzas for the sake of sampling a few other items on the menu, too, I asked if it would be possible to add a 2nd to the pizza and if so, what the surcharge might be.

Quibble about service: the waiter graciously volunteered to ask--but seemed to have forgotten. Sure nuff, only one crab, intact. On the other hand, he really knew his beer.

So I concur w Heather on this point: the price of $17 just seemed steep if the norm now is to offer a single crab midst the piles of lovely leeks. Looked kinda stingy, actually, since the order of softshell crabs next door is $23 or $25 unless there are only two on those plates. Could it be due to this year's shortage of crabs in the bay area?

Otherwise, the topping was inspired. Non-traditional as the pie might be, there was nothing precious about it. And yes, this is why I don't write reviews, so roll your eyes if you want: the textures of the crab mediated perfectly between the softness of leeks and tender dough on the one hand, and the crunch of the crisp, blistered crust on the other. Sweet leeks, sweet white flesh. If only we could all get along this well.

I say quibble about service since the host at the door was utterly beamy: full of good cheer and graciousness and atttentive. He had just restocked silverware at a booth we coveted in the corner when we walked in. 5 minutes after we were told there would be a 10 to 15-minute wait, he found us and said they'd be able to seat us immediately, but it might be a bit of a tight fit.... Our preference for the booth was respected even though he obviously wanted to give it to a party of four that had just arrived.

It's been said already, I presume, but the murals in the restrooms are worth the trip. I just don't understand why Pizza Kitchen, a few blocks south, still gets local business.

I had my first "giant saltine" experience last night, the softshell crab pizza being quite dry, with even the two tiny crabs lacking moisture. There were way too many herbs on the pie. No, Carole was not there, but she hasn't been there before and the pizzas have been great. I've had this particular pizza four or five times now, and this was the first failure - and a failure it was. Two other pizzas (the "Smoky" and a garlic, pepperoni, and Italian sausage) were very, very good, although not quite up to the usual high standards here. They weren't serving the Hot Wings. The salads appeared limpid. Desserts featured variants of ice cream without any cake or baked goods. The Chianti by the carafe (2005 Castello di Poppiano if I recall) is nasty, although a carafe of Chardonnay is worth ordering (a Domaine de Martinolles, I think - Comet is putting some thought into their carafe wines.) Overall an off night which I wouldn't even mention except that I've touted this place so highly in the past.

Cheers,

Rocks.

(This post is mostly reproduced from an earnest email which has received the recipient's blessing)

My SO and I went to Comet on Sat nite for the first time for date night. I had been talking it up since it opened, and was eager to finally try the pizza that has been hailed as so important to the DC scene. I knew of the potential for the giant saltine from the recent posts, but hoped that this would not be the case, b/c I love the idea of Comet as a hangout.

So, I got the softshell pizza which I had been dying to try, and she got a Tomato Pie with mushroom, garlic, greens and melted onions. The pizza was very bad. I had two teeny softshells on my pizza with the leeks/melted onions (not sure if I had both or one or the other). I liked the softshells, they had good flavor and were very tasty, as were the leeks/melted onions. But the crust?? Holy crap it was disgusting, I felt gross for hours afterwards - it was incredibly salty (I am a huge salt/savory person as opposed to sweet) - and I couldn't chew it! It was like bread that wasn't fully cooked, that was left to sit out for hours. You know, how the dough gets so hard and you can't chew it? It was gross. My better-half will definitely not go back there with me for pizza. Hers was incredibly salty, and there was practically no sauce on the pie, we had to search for it. The shrooms and other ingredients on top were fresh tasting and good, but the sauce/cheese/crust was just inedible.

We sat at a table that faced the kitchen. We could see the pizza "chef" standing around looking like she wished she was ANYWHERE else - The SO called her the "disaffected chef" as she slumped around the kitchen. The other weird part, we ordered a bottle of white wine at the bar while we waited for our table, and each had a glass before our table was ready. Then, we had to settle at the bar, and the bartender was completely clueless as to how to then transfer our bottle to the table - meaning, he was going to leave it on ice at the bar. I was like, well can't we take it to the table with us? The hostess was waiting for me to follow her, and she was like, we have buckets at the bus stand with ice. I said, don't you have a bucket with ice that we can take to our table? She walked away with an unsure expression and said let me check - it didn't seem as though she'd heard of that before. Then, finally, the manager took over and said I will get you a bucket with ice for the table. As he set us up he mentioned that they don't get many orders for bottles of wine. It was kind of sad the staff didn't seem to know what to do for a bottle of white wine...

The best part of the meal was a dessert scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream. My SO summed it up after her second bite: "Their ice cream is better than their pizza." I solemnly nodded in agreement. Not good. I know they are capable of better from trusted reviews on this board, but I couldn't help doubting after this experience. I would not go back there for pizza unless I called ahead to find if Carole was in the kitchen. And even then I might be doubtful. And, I will stop talking about this place and recommending it to everyone I meet that lives near by. I had been talking it up pretty good - I would be quite embarrassed had friends gone there and had the same experience I did, after I spoke so highly (serves me right I guess for not having gone myself). Anyway, we both loved the space, and we'd go back for beers and ping pong and ice cream, but definitely not for pizza... even yesterday in the evening we were joking about how gross it was, and I was still reeling from the crust.

I was unsure of whether or not to post this for the board. Because you know what? The pepperoni/cheese jumbo slice pizza we had much later that night that was delivered to a party from Cappuccino's, was sooo much better than Comet. I really don't have anything good to say about Comet's pizza, other than the fresh ingredients/toppings. I hate to be so harsh about it, because I know they are nice people and I love the space for hanging out. But they need to do something with that disaffected kitchen staff cuz that pizza was narsty. :angry:

Yeah, I would definitely say the crispy crust leaves something to be desired. A little crispness is nice, but it is downright crunchy. I ordered the crispy potato, eggplant, basil and melted onions with a vegetarian friend. The toppings were tasty, though I did not see any basil on there (and it's definitely in season). I think the moistness of the toppings make the inner bit bearable, but I could handle a slightly more tender crust on the outside. I did like the salt on the outer crust so that it's a little bit more flavorful, but I feel that in a previous experience it was more seasoned than just salt.

i don't think carole greenwood is the missing ingredient at comet ping-pong, because the pizza was always good the several times we ate there and she was only in the kitchen one of those times. it is more important for her to be next door.

however, i haven't eaten at comet since reading about the soft-shell pizza, and the post review seemed to transform the business. when we showed up early in the evening fairly recently the place was packed, and when given the choice it's hard to resist buck's so we didn't even bother finding out how long we would have to wait. if you're having problems with your crust, you can skip it entirely and just go for the crabs, which ought to be available at buck's along with the encouragement to imagine that you're eating out of the picnic basket of your dreams.

maybe i mentioned this before, i can't remember, but if you hang out on the dark deck trying to feel your way into comet's restrooms your surroundings may start to resemble something by the side of a lake resurrected from a slasher movie (friday the 13th?). it's creepy back there.

maybe i mentioned this before, i can't remember, but if you hang out on the dark deck trying to feel your way into comet's restrooms your surroundings may start to resemble something by the side of a lake resurrected from a slasher movie (friday the 13th?). it's creepy back there.
Yeah, as much as I hated the pizza, the space was fun. But, who HIDES bathrooms, I mean I'm all for hipness, but hidden behind weird wooden doors in a stockroom looking area. Strange indeed.

Carol wasn't there tonight, but my softshell pizza was outstanding with two meaty little guys to smoosh around. Scott had the one with sausage and some kind of spicy roasted pepper; it's good but the sausage needs a touch more salt. My mom had the eggplant and potato, including the basil that was missing the last time. It was better but still too heavy and oily for my taste. The pizza crust was as good as I've ever had there.

Our server splashed a little bit of red wine on my mom's pants, and without our asking her to, comped her pizza. Very sweet but not necessary - I left her a little extra $$ in the tip. Four pizzas, one salad, one order of wings, two beers, two glasses of wine, two kid's milks (:angry:) and four desserts came to $103 before tip.

ETA: we had not tried the wings before, and I probably wouldn't have them again. They're a little strange. The horseradish sauce that comes with them is tasty though.

Dinner at Comet last night was very mediocre. I ordered a tomato pizza with merquez sausage and smoky mushrooms that was pretty good, but nothing like I've had at Comet before (previous experiences were great, with flavorful pies, excellent charred crust). My girlfriend ordered an eggplant/basil/smoked mozzarella pizza, and received an eggplant/potato/pesto/regular mozzarella pizza that was beyond blah. We waited so long for our pizzas to arrive (in a half-empty restaurant) after ordering that we didn't request a change (and our server never came over to check on us at any point in the meal). At the end of the meal, we informed our server about the incorrect pizza, and she said that she had forgot to tell us about changes to the menu that had recently occurred (and the new menus were not yet printed). She apologized and offered us a free dessert. We accepted her apology and declined the dessert (the pizza wasn't a disaster, it just wasn't what we ordered--no reason for a comp, in our opinion).

It actually pains me to say it, but boring is a pretty accurate description of our meal--nothing horrible, just nothing interesting or worthwhile at all. I really want to love Comet--it's close to our place, so for us its a neighborhood restaurant. And when its good, its very good. And I love the design and feel of the space. But bland pizzas and inattentive (though polite) service doesn't make me want to go back.

A noteable evening at Comet...my five year old decided to break his lifelong boycott of lettuce to scarf one of the green salads, pizzas were spot-on, and best of all, chocolate cake is back on the menu.

ETA: Actually, "spot-on" doesn't do them justice. The crust was the perfect combination of chewy and char, and the toppings were quite generous (for Comet :blink:).

A lot of the mom and pop pizza places near where I grew up where closed on Mondays. I asked one once and they said they wanted all of us to be able to have a family meal on Sundays before starting the hectic week and they saved Monday for their weekly family meal. These days, most places are open 7 days. I'm home now so will check it out because pizza is definitely on the to do list!

New menu item tonight...the meatball sub sounds great but the execution fell short. Good sauce, cheese, and meatballs, but the bun was too chewy and too much bread. It would be better if it was hollowed out a little, and toasted. Pizzas were very good, especially the broccoli rabe, olive and ricotta pie that Scott scarfed.

Ian once again shared a green salad with his sister. Apparently he will only eat lettuce at Comet. :(

According to our server, they will be opening for Saturday and Sunday lunch in January.

Amanda's downfall is that she's too nice - her prose is downright beatific!

I prefer the King James version:

.....Opens for LUNCH!!

Starting NOW,

Comet is open ALL DAMN DAY on Saturday and Sundays beginning at 11:30 am!!!

BEER SPECIALS!!

MIMOSA'S!!

FRESH JUICES!!

SPICY BLOODY MARY'S!!!!

HOMEMADE MEATBALL SUBS ON FRESH ROLLS!!!!

BACON AND EGG PIZZA!!!!!!!!!!!- (Applewood Smoked Bacon, Fried Potato Pancake, White Cheddar and Two Eggs..mmmmm)

.....Free Ping pong.....(duhh!)

P.S. Westend Bistro opened for lunch this week also, M-F, 11:30-2:30.

You don't normally think of Comet Ping Pong as having "spicy food," but they do now: The Comet Hot Wings ($5.50) are much different than they were last Spring, now being done in something resembling a Jamaican jerk fashion. Although I prefer the style of old, and hope they bring it back, these are still superb chicken wings and drumsticks.

Not far behind on the Zest-Meter is the new Chick Pea Salad ($5.50), a vegan dish, served cold, and loaded up with really good chickpeas, green beans, hottish peppers, and some good oil. A deceptively large portion, this is enough for two people to share, and goes remarkably well with the chicken. Beer is your drink of choice with these two small plates.

The eye-rollingly named Ping Pong (Meat)ball Sub ($9) was the most traditional of items, a good, fresh sub roll housing a line of homemade meatballs, lots of mozzarella, and plenty of tomato sauce. This is a large sandwich, and satisfying in every way although it's extremely hot when it's first served and is best after cooling for a few minutes, which also allows the sauce further opportunity to penetrate the roll.

For whatever reason I thought the #2 Smoky Pizza ($13) used to have tomato sauce, but I checked my previous posts, and it has always been a white pizza with smoked mushrooms, smoked mozzarella, smoked bacon, melted onions, and garlic. I'm not sure why this pie didn't click with me more last night, but it came across as heavier than I remember; perhaps my palate was spent from the chicken wings and chick pea salad. Regardless, the crust was fantastic, and the mushrooms and bacon were out of this world.

Out of five combination pizzas, four of them are seved without tomato sauce. This is an observation rather than any sort of "issue," because the wonderful tomato pie can always be ordered a la carte ($7.50), and the toppings custom-built. This was another very good, albeit "different," night for Comet Ping Pong.

Cheers,

Rocks.

New menu item tonight...the meatball sub sounds great but the execution fell short. Good sauce, cheese, and meatballs, but the bun was too chewy and too much bread. It would be better if it was hollowed out a little, and toasted.
The eye-rollingly named Ping Pong (Meat)ball Sub ($9) was the most traditional of items, a good, fresh sub roll housing a line of homemade meatballs, lots of mozzarella, and plenty of tomato sauce. This is a large sandwich, and satisfying in every way although it's extremely hot when it's first served and is best after cooling for a few minutes, which also allows the sauce further opportunity to penetrate the roll.
Back in December this was a good idea that needed a little tweaking. Have they fixed the bread-to-ball ratio? Or maybe started toasting the roll?

Back in December this was a good idea that needed a little tweaking. Have they fixed the bread-to-ball ratio? Or maybe started toasting the roll?

It's not toasted, but my astute young dining companion insisted that "they cheated" because the rolls had been hollowed out. I was so busy scarfing that I didn't notice; he told me this on the way home. I've never had this sandwich before, but this one needed a large roll because the stuffing (meatballs, cheese, and tomato sauce) was so plentiful.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Hollowing out the roll ensures that the meatballs don't go shooting out the other side when you take a bite. :mellow: I thought the ingredients were first rate.

ETA: I go back on forth on whether I like the smoky pizza. It can be heavy, and is usually better with just a green salad.