What are your go-to spots nowadays?

Gom Ba Woo for soups, Kogiya for bbq, Tanpopo for ramen, To Sok Jip (but it's been discovered, so you have to go at awful times :D) which has Dock kal guk su (Chicken noodle soup) that's amazing.  Lighthouse for Soon Doo Boo (tofu stew).  Choong Hwa Woon (on John Marr Drive behind Popeyes) for Chinese-Korean food.

• Like 2

The only place I go to regularly in Annandale is A&J. I might go to Kogiya once every 6 months.

Those are the only two places I've tried, but I'm definitely going to be all over Escoffier's list.

Thanks to you both!

To be honest, Kogiya isn't great. The pork belly and brisket are ok, but the marinaded stuff is so unbearably sweet. I guess it is the best bbq out of a lot of bad options.

Not sure that I've ever noticed that the marinade is sweet (maybe it helps if you're Korean :)).  We tend to avoid Honey-Pig but you might want to try Anangol.  Their spicy pork is very good. There's another Korean-Chinese place you might also want to try.  It's across from K-Mart (left side going towards Columbia Pike) beside the tire store.  Name escapes me at the moment, but their combos (spicy seafood soup on one side, ja jang myung on the other is one of my favorites).  (And don't tell anyone, but now and then we duck into Bon Chon for the spicy wings)

I'd be interested in hearing your recommendations as well, because I've really enjoyed Momofuku in New York at least and apparently there's even more deliciousness to be had and even cheaper! Bonus points if you remember any dishes or places that are particularly vegetarian friendly.

I'd be interested in hearing your recommendations as well, because I've really enjoyed Momofuku in New York at least and apparently there's even more deliciousness to be had and even cheaper! Bonus points if you remember any dishes or places that are particularly vegetarian friendly.

Vegetarian friendly is somewhat difficult in Korean food because a lot of the stocks are either made from beef bones, chicken, or fish.  You could eat lots of banchan but I'm not sure you'd want to make a meal from that (even though in some places it would be possible).  You might find pae-jon (the ubiquitous "seafood pancake" without the seafood some place).  I'm an unabashed non-beef (for the most part) carnivore but we have a friend in NYC who is a vegan and he always seems to find something to (overly) fill up on when we go out to eat.

The lurkers are telling me the cool kids like nak won for samgypseol. It's good, though banchan is only so-so. But, that's true of all the bbq places.

In terms of "authentic" flavors, you're looking at To Sok Jip and Blue Sands. To Sok Jip may be too authentic for most, Blue Sands is certainly so. Caveat emptor, but I love both.

A friend likes Mr. Tofu. I have to try it -- his mother in law gave the banchan her seal of approval. In a similar vein, Lighthouse is solid, but I have an americanized palate, so ymmv. A real Korean (much more so than me) claims To Soc Chon is ok for soups.

Personally, Annandale could use a Ponderosa Grill. Nothing is more Korean than meatballs and cole slaw in a taco shell.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2016 at 7:35 PM, ylkim30 said:

The lurkers are telling me the cool kids like nak won for samgypseol. It's good, though banchan is only so-so. But, that's true of all the bbq places.

In terms of "authentic" flavors, you're looking at To Sok Jip and Blue Sands. To Sok Jip may be too authentic for most, Blue Sands is certainly so. Caveat emptor, but I love both.

A friend likes Mr. Tofu. I have to try it -- his mother in law gave the banchan her seal of approval. In a similar vein, Lighthouse is solid, but I have an americanized palate, so ymmv. A real Korean (much more so than me) claims To Soc Chon is ok for soups.

Personally, Annandale could use a Ponderosa Grill. Nothing is more Korean than meatballs and cole slaw in a taco shell.

지냈어요 Pardon the rambling that follows, it's that kind of evening.  Mr. Tofu is owned by the people who own Shilla Bakery.  Nice interior, difficult to get to (pass Manny, Moe, and Jack, stop before the CVS).  Food was okay but nothing spectacular enough for us to put it into our normal rotation.  I'm a mee-guk but my tolerance for spicy is pretty high so I like the higher end of the Scovill scale (but not so much that the complexities of the food disappear in spicy numbness).  We were at To Sok Jip today so Grover could have Duk Guk and I could have that chicken noodle soup (Korean, not a hint of Italian (or Campbell's) anywhere :D) that I really like. Unfortunately, it seems they're going upscale.  The interior has been painted, the rickety, old tables are gone, no more handwritten Specials on the walls.  It doesn't even smell like natto anymore.  Next thing you know, they'll be having sweet potato or corn topped pizza on the menu and we'll have to search out another small, authentic piece of Seoul in Annandale.

---

Siroo Juk Story (cocobinga)

• Like 2

Stopped for lunch at Taj ("authentic Desi cuisine") in the Lake Barcroft shopping center with my sister today.  

We had previously cruised 2-3 parking lots farther up Columbia Pike and couldn't find a spot except at Pollo Campero and we would have eaten there, except a family with a passel of young kids in full meltdown mode was entering the restaurant right ahead of us.  At this point we were hangry and kept on moving and ended up at Lake Barcroft.  

We decided "let's try it" when we saw the Taj sign, and were pleasantly surprised.  The restaurant was empty with a boy manning the register.  Since we wanted fast, we both ordered the lunch combo special which came with chicken or lamb curry, rice, dal or chickpeas, and a small salad for $7.  I got the chicken and sister got the lamb.  It came out in partitioned styro containers.  The owner popped his head out of the kitchen to see if we wanted the dal or chickpeas and we both got the dal, but he said "I'll give you a little taste of something else too" which turned out to be a black bean  preparation.  The dal was pleasant and typical.  The black beans weren't very saucy and without a distinctive flavor. A lot of fluffy basmati rice.   I really enjoyed the sauce on my curry.  It had a couple of pieces of bone-in chicken, a drumstick and half a thigh and into the backbone area.  Mildly spicy with a nice hit of coriander and not oily.  the chicken was cooked til tender but not falling apart.  I spoke with a young woman who came to man the register as we finished our lunch and invited her to come join DR.  

• Like 3

On 3/5/2016 at 12:06 PM, ylkim30 said:

To be honest, Kogiya isn't great. The pork belly and brisket are ok, but the marinaded stuff is so unbearably sweet. I guess it is the best bbq out of a lot of bad options.

I agree, it was too sweet for me as well. I stick with ol' faithful Yechon:wub:

35 minutes ago, arlingtonkabob said:

I agree, it was too sweet for me as well. I stick with ol' faithful Yechon:wub:

Question for the group: My kids are begging to go back to Honey Pig. Personally, that much meat gives me the meat sweats, but once or twice a year I'll bite the bullet. I'd like to suggest an alternative if there's a good one. I've had sushi at Yechon but that was many moons ago. Is the barbecue appreciably better than Honey Pig?

2 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

Question for the group: My kids are begging to go back to Honey Pig. Personally, that much meat gives me the meat sweats, but once or twice a year I'll bite the bullet. I'd like to suggest an alternative if there's a good one. I've had sushi at Yechon but that was many moons ago. Is the barbecue appreciably better than Honey Pig?

There's nothing special about Yechon.  Han Gang or Woo Lae Oak.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

There's nothing special about Yechon.  Han Gang or Woo Lae Oak.

Woo Lae Oak is good, Han Gang depends on what you like to order IMO..

5 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

Honey Pig just seems overly marinated, you can't enjoy the flavor of the actual meat...used to be very good but as it popularized something about it changed

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Simul Parikh said:

Thinking of making a night of it - dinner and then party at Jangteo 7080... What do people order at Gom Ba Woo?

In addition, other than the sondobu / tofu stew, are there any spicy Korean foods or specific dishes that are spicy? Kinda want to burn tonight ... 

Well, for some reason I've always found tteok-bokki to light my tongue on fire, even though it's not exactly considered spicy. Same with buldak or jjamppong.

I imagine if you go to Jangteo and say you want spice, they can probably find something. They are in the business of selling makgeolli/soju/alcohol.

3 hours ago, Simul Parikh said:

Thinking of making a night of it - dinner and then party at Jangteo 7080... What do people order at Gom Ba Woo?

In addition, other than the sondobu / tofu stew, are there any spicy Korean foods or specific dishes that are spicy? Kinda want to burn tonight ... 

I've had (wait for it ...) Raw Skate in a Spicy Sauce at Gom Ba Woo - caveat emptor.

Kimchi Jigae is a tofu stew of sorts, but has plenty of other things in it of interest.

On 3/5/2016 at 7:35 PM, ylkim30 said:

Any recommendations for things to try at Blue Sands?  I've been interested in going but wasn't sure where exactly to start with the somewhat large menu.

8 hours ago, FranklinDubya said:

Any recommendations for things to try at Blue Sands?  I've been interested in going but wasn't sure where exactly to start with the somewhat large menu.

I just took a peek at the menu at the salt broiled shrimp sounds downright tasty! Everything sounds amazing though. Good luck narrowing your choices.

• Like 1

Oh, man Blue Sands has such a confusing menu, and the staff there are generally not helpful (not in an unfriendly way), more of a language issue and assuming if you're not Korean you want something 'easy'. Lemme know what you picked. I got a seafood stew .. was tasty!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FranklinDubya said:

Are you going by yourself or with a bunch of people and eating family style?  Are you familiar with Korean food in general?  In any case, you might want to PM Escoffier.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Are you going by yourself or with a bunch of people and eating family style?  Are you familiar with Korean food in general?  In any case, you might want to PM Escoffier.

- Probably by myself : I'm very close to Annandale on days when I work from home so I was hoping to go for lunch... unless someone tells me going solo is a dumb idea.

- I'm mildly familiar?  I've been to Gom Ba Woo a few times plus Kogiya, Yechon, and a few others.  Outside of kbbq items I've had a couple different types of soups and pancakes.  *There's definitely more that I haven't tried than I have at this point*

- I'll definitely shoot Escoffier a pm, thanks!

13 hours ago, FranklinDubya said:

I look forward to your INSTA post on what you happen to decide on getting! In my experience, I would opt to eat Korean with a group for optimal serving of Banchan. I made the mistake of dining solo:(. I won't be making that mistake again. Food just taste better when you are in a group. Just my opinion. 

My understanding is that typically a Korean will order one dish (a grilled fish, a stew, etc.), enjoy the banchans, and eat some rice.  I cannot order less than 2 dishes (and I don't eat rice), so I would either do the seafood pancake and then a stew, or maybe a grilled fish and a stew.  I haven't been to Blue Sand but that's what I'd do for lunch by myself at pretty much any Korean joint (other than BBQ joints).

2 hours ago, curiouskitkatt said:

I look forward to your INSTA post on what you happen to decide on getting! In my experience, I would opt to eat Korean with a group for optimal serving of Banchan. I made the mistake of dining solo:(. I won't be making that mistake again. Food just taste better when you are in a group. Just my opinion. 

Totally agreed (especially with Korean food), although my issue here would having friends I could sell on Korean seafood without having been myself so my maiden voyage will probably be solo.

2 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

My understanding is that typically a Korean will order one dish (a grilled fish, a stew, etc.), enjoy the banchans, and eat some rice.  I cannot order less than 2 dishes (and I don't eat rice), so I would either do the seafood pancake and then a stew, or maybe a grilled fish and a stew.  I haven't been to Blue Sand but that's what I'd do for lunch by myself at pretty much any Korean joint (other than BBQ joints).

I have the same 'issue' where I feel like I haven't properly tried a restaurant unless I've ordered two things.  That seems like a good plan though - I'm gonna try and go some time next and will report back in this thread.

• Like 2

Went to To Sok Jip last night for dinner.  After all the warnings about the service being "mean" from personal stories / Yelp I was pleasantly surprised on that front - it was no nonsense for sure and they kind of expected you to know how things worked but we were treated just fine.

Got the seafood pancake and the bossam - both were great I thought, and the portions were massive.    One thing I wouldn't have known without randomly seeing a youtube video on this the night before was that they put the salted-shrimp (saeu-jeot) with the rest of the banchan but adding this to the bossam wraps was pretty essential.

One question for more experience Korean diners - how does one properly eat a seafood or kimchi pancake?  The slices they had were a bit unwieldy for chopsticks but it didn't seem to work great as hand food either... we felt like we were probably missing something.

• Like 1

Had a great dinner at Kogiya a few weeks ago.  The $23 all you can eat is quite the deal.  The wait staff was incredibly attentive--making sure everything was well-cooked and bringing us whatever we needed.  I'd say my favorite part of the meal was the unlimited bonchon side dishes (spicy kimchi, veggies, etc.)--I could have likely skipped the meat altogether, though it was good too.  The place gets packed though, so call in the early afternoon to get your name on the list.  Also, wear clothes you don't mind getting stained/smelling.

2 hours ago, funkyfood said:

unlimited bonchon side dishes (spicy kimchi, veggies, etc.)

With the utmost respect (for Hangul badly translated into English :) ) bonchon (properly capitalized as Bonchon) is a Korean Fried Chicken chain with a number of restaurants in the DC Metro area.  The word you meant is panchan or banchan (파친).  Glad you enjoyed the  BBQ overload, now go to Gom Ba Woo and order haemul paejun (해산물 팬케이크), the excellent mandu (만두) and the dolsot bibimbab (돌솥 비빔밥). Or if you really want a true Korean experience without the somewhat Americanized service, go to To Sok Jip and point to anything on the menu.  You wont' be disappointed.

PS: Banchan is an important part of EVERY Korean meal and is almost always unlimited. A hard concept for Me-guks to wrap their heads around. 😎

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Going to Blue Sand this Fri at 11:30 with Steve.  Anyone interested in joining, post here or shoot me an IM. We’ll be eating family style.

If it is 11:30 pm, I will meet you!  I imagine you mean am though.

4 hours ago, FranklinDubya said:

Derp, I never sent it, but thank you for the response! I think your response sorta hits the nail on the head with my experience at To Sok Jip when I went there which I personally didn't mind at all.  My dining companion and I are typically devour our food quickly and go in with a good idea of what we want which worked out well.

... whoops..  well this is tremendously helpful for next time so thank you!  

Many non-Koreans don't think to tear their cuisine with a chopstick in each hand, but that's how it's done.

2 hours ago, Genevieve said:

Where would you go for jap chae, either in Annandale or elsewhere (NoVa or DC)?

Thank you!

Not an expert here, but if you like spice, Choong Hwa Won in Annandale does gochu japchae with the steamed buns, but that's the spicy version with green peppers. They used to do buchu japchae (garlic chives instead of green peppers), but it disappeared, sadly. Guess what my favorite dish was there?

From the menu, I don't think you get the steamed buns with the "plain" japchae.

Checking in after a long time offline.  I'm searching for restaurants within 20 minutes of the George Mason Library (east end of Annandale strip on 236).  US 50 and Gallows Road (Merrifield) probably ok, maybe north end of Springfield.  Moderately priced.  Here's the catch, am especially interested in African (west and Nigerian), Italian and other European, and Persian and Turkish.  Also, any seafood recommendations, especially crabs and crabcakes?  We already have good lists for Asian although of course any new recommendations would be very welcome.

Amid the abundance of restaurants in the area, the cuisine preferences make a tall order.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, yesvirginia said:

Checking in after a long time offline.  I'm searching for restaurants within 20 minutes of the George Mason Library (east end of Annandale strip on 236).  US 50 and Gallows Road (Merrifield) probably ok, maybe north end of Springfield.  Moderately priced.  Here's the catch, am especially interested in African (west and Nigerian), Italian and other European, and Persian and Turkish.  Also, any seafood recommendations, especially crabs and crabcakes?  We already have good lists for Asian although of course any new recommendations would be very welcome.

Amid the abundance of restaurants in the area, the cuisine preferences make a tall order.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

About as far north as you can get and still be in Springfield, there's a passable Yemeni restaurant named Marib. No alcohol, but uniquely Yemeni. The menu includes breakfast items as well -- it opens at 10:00am.

Thank you, Kibbee.  We visited Marib last year and were very happy with it.  Maybe we'll check out Saba soon.

We are a group of readers who discuss our book selections at local restaurants.  We try to eat at a restaurant associated with the locale/ethnicity featured in the month's book selection.  Doesn't always work (we want to keep our reading options open regardless) so sometimes we just eat somewhere local and interesting.

We appreciate yout thoughts.  All suggestions will be gratefully received!

There was  a fire in Annandale on Sunday morning that took out To Sok Jip and Bonchon Annandale, as well as a hair salon and another business (maybe a sushi place?  I wasn't familiar with it, a storefront just east of To Sok Jip).  At any rate, driving by today, To Sok Jip at least looks irreparable, unsure about Bonchon.  Not a lot of information on the cause, but perhaps a gas line issue in the hair salon.  Fire alarms did not sound from the buildings, a passerby saw smoke and called it in, and the FD is maybe a block away.

https://www.dcnewsnow.com/news/local-news/virginia/fairfax-county/community-mourns-loss-of-businesses-destroyed-in-shopping-center-fire/

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3