To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?

starfish

To Art Clokey, without whom the phrase "I'm Gumby, dammit!" would not have found its way into the modern lexicon, as channelled through Eddie Murphy.

gumby2.jpg

I've gotten so many miles out of Gumby references these past (cough cough) years, I at least owe Clokey an epic-level toast.

Perhaps I will try to bring a Cordouroy-clad Gumby to Friday's happy hour so we can all join in.

(an "a" grade on a "d" quality poster)
(the determining factor in a class president election)
(just two of countless ways gumby has made my life better)

To Conan O'Brien, for being smart, hilarious, strangely cute, and refusing to go quietly into the next morning.

I don't really watch the late-night shows anymore (cf. his point about TiVo), but if I ever have to make a statement to the press, I am so totally beginning it with, "People of Earth:" too.

Also: his awesome speech to my graduating class. (For the record, he was much funnier than "seminal wage-price theoretician Amartya Sen" -- but it was a hard act to follow. :angry: )

To Earl Wild.

Here he is at age 88, playing his own transcription of The Mexican Hat Dance.

And here is French pianist Olivier Cazal playing my favorite piece written by Wild: a transcription of George Gershwin's I Got Rhythm (*) (Cazal plays the original first, then begins the Wild version at 0:56). This masterful etude remains inexplicably obscure, and deserves a place in the standard concert repertoire (certainly as an encore piece).

Cheers,

Rocks.

(*) Homage

Howard Zinn, historian and activist

I wanted students to leave my classes not just better informed, but more prepared to relinquish the safety of silence, more prepared to speak up, to act against injustice wherever they saw it. This, of course, was a recipe for trouble. -- From his autobiography: "You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train" (1994)

There was a special toast to our cul-du-sac neighbor and his snow blower. This possibly Harley-Davidson-modified model made a meal of our toothsome precipitation. Dry pavement in our driveway!

While we weren't able to supply his first choice, Miller Lite, hopefully he and his wife enjoyed his second: a stray Chardonnay [sterling 2007] from our magic closet in the basement.

To Nawlins....Drew Brees & Reggie Bush - what a kick ass athletes should be like -- my Saints, my fading memories of living on South Carrollton Street, next to Camelia Grill, Cooter Browns, Maple Leaf Bar and Muddy Waters.....and buying my Kink Cake and crawdads at Christiana's...

To my friend Nate, the economist about whom I posted before. He's gotten some job offers here in town, which is the greatest news in a long time.

And even if he manages to turn them all down (...tear!), he sent me a gift certificate to Palena.

Freakin' best friends since 8th grade...

all my love, Mr. N.E.W.