Taberna del Alabardero, A Madrid-Based, Spanish, Fine Dining Gem on 18th & I Streets NW

On 3/31/2018 at 6:07 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

Can one order off the tapas menu at any time?

About a two weeks ago, for lunch, I ordered tapas and entree salads in the dinning room for lunch with a group of people who shared. The food was amazing and I loved the experience. 

• Like 1

I was craving rabo de toro, my favorite Spanish dish.  I've driven past Taberna and have seen their set-up on the sidewalk.  With reservation for outdoor dining available on Opentable and the weather cooperating, we went there Sunday night for dinner. 

We started with Fried Calamari and Garlic Shrimp.  The shrimps were excellent, garlicky but not overcooked.  The fried calamari were mostly legs, which I prefer, very nicely seasoned, tender and not super crispy.  

Round 2 consisted  Foie Micuit and Beef Tripe Stew (Callos Madrilenos).  The foie was wonderful but I really enjoyed the tripe stew.  They did not skimp on the tripe, and the tripe was cooked until soft and having absorbed the flavor of the spices.

Lastly I ordered the Rabo de Toro con Croqueta.  The server asked if it's for 2, I said no, just for 1.  They thought I ordered Rabo de Toro Paella, which comes with a minimum of 2 orders.  Nevertheless, they prepared the paella and charged for only 1 portion.  At this point, we were getting stuffed, so we took most of the paella home in a paper box.  I will note the oxtail was delicious, but it was deboned and reformed into the shape of a disk.  The paella was also very good, not at all mushy.  The only mediocre dish was a side of bland broccoli.

I hadn't been back to Taberna in ages, but this most recent experience will bring me back sooner rather than later.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, lotus125 said:

Any recent experiences?  I drove by and noticed the very nice patio.  I haven't been in years, and I'm wondering if it's worth a visit.

I would also appreciate reports from any recent visits. Is the setup on the inside still the same, with the little bar when you walk in?

• Like 1

We've eaten there 3 times, all since Cherry Blossom Festival.  My friends wanted to eat there after walking around the Tidal Basin.  I groaned because I thought it was one of those ripoff expense account restaurants.  I was so wrong.  It was great.  Since then, we went on our anniversary in May and just Saturday for hubby's birthday.  We had tapas all 3 times.  Our favorites are:  eggplant chips, shrimp in garlic oil, squid ink on risotto, crab cake, and fried calamari.  The 2nd time we went, I was bracing myself for disappointment.  It was great.  Saturday I braced myself for disappointment.  Again the food was great.  I do get nervous ordering wine as their cheapest bottle of red is $55.  I managed to pick a good one so we will just order that one in future.  Their bread was really good too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1