Plastic Wrap

Anna Blume

Suzanne Goin has a couple of recipes that call for baking covered dishes with a thin sheet of plastic wrap beneath the lid for long periods of time.

Apparently, professional grade wrap remains intact whereas the kind I purchase melts into the cream, herbs, tomatoes, potatoes and onions. The problem is not unique to me or to the one recipe I followed.

So, might anyone recommend a brand available to home cooks that would withstand such treatment and suit other quasi-sous vide methods?

Disclaimer: I reuse my produce bags and use plastic wrap rarely and sparingly, far from rivers, oceans and streams.

Suzanne Goin has a couple of recipes that call for baking covered dishes with a thin sheet of plastic wrap beneath the lid for long periods of time.

Apparently, professional grade wrap remains intact whereas the kind I purchase melts into the cream, herbs, tomatoes, potatoes and onions. The problem is not unique to me or to the one recipe I followed.

So, might anyone recommend a brand available to home cooks that would withstand such treatment and suit other quasi-sous vide methods?

Disclaimer: I reuse my produce bags and use plastic wrap rarely and sparingly, far from rivers, oceans and streams.

Costco sells the kind of plastic wrap you are looking for. One roll will probably last you the rest of your life.

How is it labeled/marked? Is it the house brand?

There are two choices at Costco--if I recall correctly, both are the Kirkland house brand. One type has a smaller length and diameter--and the plastic is lighter weight, although considerably heftier than supermarket plastic wrap. The heavier gauge plastic wrap is as mdt describes-- a humongous roll, designed for commercial use.

I never use plastic in cooking that takes long periods of time (usually it is parchment paper).

However, for plastic wrap for general use, I use 'Stretch Lite' - it is my go to. I always curse myself if I ever buy anything else out of desperation. Other brands all fall way short.