In a Varietal Rut?

Interesting article. I like reading about people who do these sorts of things.

One question for folks here in general: Has anyone here ever had a Carmenere wine that they really enjoyed? I mean, the sort of wine that makes you go, "Oh, baby! I gots to get me a case o' this!"

I never have. Seriously, I've never found a Carmenere wine that I thought was fit to drink.

Anyone care to suggest one that rocked their world and made your ears flap?

Interesting read.

I am in somewhat of a varietal funk myself, having recently realized that I tend to drink mainly Pinot (mostly California), Chardonnay (mostly California, but some other areas), Syrah (mainly California, but some Rhones), Cabernet (mainly California) and Sauvignon Blanc (a good mix, mainly French stuff and some NZ stuff). While I do drink other varietals (Pinot Gris, Riesling, Gewürztraminer, Brunello, Chianti Classico, etc), I more often pull one of the 5 listed varietals.

Mostly what I have been doing of late is deciding to rein in my spending on mailing lists (limiting producers and total amount ordered) and deciding to focus on expanding my horizons, mainly in Italy (Brunellos, Rossos, CCs, Amarones, some Nebbiolo based wines) and France (mostly looking to expand in to Chassagne-Montrachets, Puligny Montrachets, some Red Burgs and also Alsace). This is a real change for me as I have bought too much on mailing lists the last few years that I need to rethink my strategy for buying at retail. Like where to shop.

Usually when I want to get out of a varietal funk, I look for wines with freshness, finesse and vivacity. Try a Loire valley white, a muscadet, or a Chablis for whites. Or how about a good Cru Beaujolais from 2005 or a Barbera? If you are tight with your wine guy, he/she should be able to help as well.

I also agree about Carmenere - if I want leafy, tobacco goodness, I would 10 out of 10 time go with something with Cab Franc.

On 1/15/2008 at 8:54 AM, Pool Boy said:

Interesting read.

I am in somewhat of a varietal funk myself, having recently realized that I tend to drink mainly Pinot (mostly California), Chardonnay (mostly California, but some other areas), Syrah (mainly California, but some Rhones), Cabernet (mainly California) and Sauvignon Blanc (a good mix, mainly French stuff and some NZ stuff). While I do drink other varietals (Pinot Gris, Riesling, Gewürztraminer, Brunello, Chianti Classico, etc), I more often pull one of the 5 listed varietals.

Mostly what I have been doing of late is deciding to rein in my spending on mailing lists (limiting producers and total amount ordered) and deciding to focus on expanding my horizons, mainly in Italy (Brunellos, Rossos, CCs, Amarones, some Nebbiolo based wines) and France (mostly looking to expand in to Chassagne-Montrachets, Puligny Montrachets, some Red Burgs and also Alsace). This is a real change for me as I have bought too much on mailing lists the last few years that I need to rethink my strategy for buying at retail. Like where to shop.

It is hilarious to go back and read my 9 year old posts.

It is true I have expanded my horizons in a variety of unexpected ways. Mainly, I have embraced the Rhone, Amarones and Valpolicellas in particular, and slummed it in delicious grenaches and garnachas (Spain) among many others. I still have no current interest inShiraz from Down Under, but I am sure tht is, in part, due to not buying a single bottle of that stuff n over 10 years. Backfilling brunellos , desperately trying to hide them behind other bottles so I do not see them.