Hot Dogs

Soup

I think a sandwich is properly defined as an item of food with two pieces of bread and a filling between them.  But that is not the same proposition as every item of food with two pieces of bread and a filling between them is a sandwich.  Else, why would some of the sample sentences above reference both "sandwiches" and "burgers" as if there is a distinction.  A broad reading of the definition would make such usage superfluous.  I would argue that Merriam-Webster is ignoring common usage and committing a logical fallacy in concluding that if all A are B, then all B must be A.  All women are humans, but not all humans are women.

• Like 1

I am generally a descriptivist when it comes to grammar and definitions.  But dammit some few things are right and wrong, and this is one of them. :)

Now if you sliced your frankfurter into three lengthwise slices and put your toppings of choice in the bun with it, then it would be ok to call it a sandwich.

Falafal in pita is not a sandwich, by the definition. But if you break the hinge and make it two pieces, then is it?

Same with the hot dog bun - if you break the hinge, then what? Or does the filling have to be something specific and a tube steak doesn't count?

Tacos at taquerias are served open face, and that seems to fit the definition, but if you call a taco a sandwich, I WILL CUT YOU.

• Like 1

This touches on Eskimos having 50 different words for snow.

Is a banger on a roll a sandwich?

Is an open-faced sandwich a sandwich?

The Earl of Sandwich reportedly didn't want to leave the gaming tables to eat, so he had his food brought to him between bread so he could eat it with his hands while he gambled. I don't think he would have eaten an open-faced sandwich, so despite its name, it isn't a sandwich by the original meaning; however, he almost surely would have eaten a banger on a roll.

7 hours ago, DonRocks said:

The Earl of Sandwich... almost surely would have eaten a banger on a roll.

Yeah but he would have eaten pigs in blankets too (if the outsides weren't too greasy) and there is no way in the world that a pig in a blanket is a sandwich. Don! Stand up for reason please as the world crumbles around us!

11 minutes ago, sheldman said:

Yeah but he would have eaten pigs in blankets too (if the outsides weren't too greasy) and there is no way in the world that a pig in a blanket is a sandwich. Don!  Stand up for reason please as the world crumbles around us!

The world isn't crumbling; it's being decimated. In other words, 10% of its population is being killed off as punishment for peoples' stupidity. 

See? I'm a conservative after all! :)

I have no problem with people not considering a hot dog a sandwich; I also have no problem with someone seeing a platter of hot dogs, and saying, "Would someone please pass me a sandwich?" (As long as they say please.)

• Like 2