Meaghan

Tom Sietsema's Reviews

I feel like Komi has been slipping* in Sietsema's rankings.  The format has stayed the same for years now.  And as amazing as the grand finale is, has that changed that much recently?

So far in the top ten, only Minibar is a restaurant that has been around for more than a couple of years.  All the rest are shiny and new (relatively speaking).   

*I of course don't think it's slipping.  It's still my favorite restaurant in DC.

I'll go TuG for the win.

But of course I could be wrong :lol:

2 hours ago, Tujague said:

Y'all know that he loves Rasika. But I wouldn't count out Arroz as an underdog choice.

I think highly of Rasika, but that would be a very disappointing, somewhat absurd, choice.  I thought about the Dabney, but figured that Tail Up Goat is more likely along those lines.  Arroz is an interesting thought--I haven't been there yet, in part because I'm wary of the Isabella Industry.  

4 minutes ago, Marty L. said:

I think highly of Rasika, but that would be a very disappointing, somewhat absurd, choice.  I thought about the Dabney, but figured that Tail Up Goat is more likely along those lines.  Arroz is an interesting thought--I haven't been there yet, in part because I'm wary of the Isabella Industry.  

It occurred to me in part because he's recommended it a lot this past year in his chats. I've shared your skepticism about Isabella, but my visit there convinced me he's the real deal. And, with the big article in the NY Times about Isabella yesterday, this feels like his moment.

4 minutes ago, Tujague said:

It occurred to me in part because he's recommended it a lot this past year in his chats. I've shared your skepticism about Isabella, but my visit there convinced me he's the real deal. And, with the big article in the NY Times about Isabella yesterday, this feels like his moment.

OK, you've persuaded me -- Arroz.  Which means that TuG, Komi and LS, as well as Fiola Mare and Kinship, won't make the top 10, which is a bit silly (albeit par for the course).

23 hours ago, Tujague said:

And we're all wrong; the winner is . . . The Inn at Little Washington.

It's an odd list: four high-end places, four Asian establishments, and, at numbers 9 and 10, a couple of slots that reasonably might have taken by any number of restaurants.

It was an odd review...  The Inn seemed to score a lot of bonus points for the overnight stay, which most restaurants couldn't compete with.  Not that this is the first time he's expressed a fondness for the cooking, but it seemed a bit skewed.

On 10/10/2017 at 12:05 PM, Deac said:

Gotta be Komi, Little Serow or Rasika

Well, even though none made the arbitrarily listed top 10, all are still 4 stars so he's still high on them. Did LS get upgraded to 4 this year?

On 10/12/2017 at 10:12 AM, genericeric said:

It was an odd review...  The Inn seemed to score a lot of bonus points for the overnight stay, which most restaurants couldn't compete with.  Not that this is the first time he's expressed a fondness for the cooking, but it seemed a bit skewed.

The review in the print magazine is quite a bit longer than the early online piece, and focuses more on the food. The online version basically was the first and last paragraphs.

• Like 1