ChurchKey, 14th Street near Logan Circle

I got the impression that the restaurant was downstairs and the bar just served food as an afterthought.

Well, the bar has its own menu; I don't know if it's really an afterthought. I haven't eaten there, only at Birch and Barley, but I've read the Churchkey menu, and it seems more well-thought-out than that. So maybe a PM or something about what was actually wrong would, in fact, help management improve. Not that you have to, just that it might not be entirely a lost cause. ;)

Had a really awful fried Mac & Cheese dish and Ceasar Salad here tonight, which isn't really a big deal because the beer list is so wonderful. I'm posting about those two items because I'm sure you can do a better job of ordering off that menu than I did.

There are at least two places in town whose beer lists offer the same highs as Churchkey's, but nowhere I've been has anywhere near the breadth. The food at either Two Amy's or Pizzeria Paradisio is so much better that I will probably only drink at Churchkey in the future.

[As moderator, I'm fairly quick to step in and question negative posts (especially anonymous ones), but I see nothing disrespectful or "wrong" with this write-up. If people want to question the use of the word "awful" and ask for more depth, then that's certainly fair game. But mtpleasanteater is a tenured and respected member of this community, and does not have a history of unfair criticism. I see nothing in this exchange for me to moderate. Carry on.]

I'll come to mtpleasanteater's defense as well. I was in with a fairly large group on Saturday night and had a great time, but can't help but agree with his assessment about the food. We tried a couple of the newer items on the menu (buffalo wings and brisket sandwich) and just found them to be average. The wings had a nice spicy kick to them, but the rather thick breading (Hooters style) took so much away from them and made them taste overly greasy. The brisket sandwich was in no way bad, but needed something (sauce, salt & pepper) to give it some life. It just tasted like a slice of roasted beef with some bland peppers and cheese. Awful? No, but certainly not something I would order again.

To address the issue of letting a manager or someone know of any issues you have, well, if you're in after 6PM good luck finding anyone to help you period, let alone listen to your complaints. The manager working the bar (I'm assuming the guy with the glasses and beard?) had his head down for most of the night rushing around to pour beer for the growing masses in the space. The only time I was able to get his attention (for a beer) he barked at me that I was standing too close to his server's station and that I had to move before he could serve me. I understand where he was coming from (and I'm sure I was in the wrong), but I can see how someone would not want to wait for 10-15 minutes to get to the bar to discuss their crummy mac-n-cheese sticks with him in this environment.

As mtpleasanteater said, slow/inconsistent service (understandable given the enormous crowds) and mediocre food will not keep me from coming back to this place, which I view as a great beer hall with some snacks that I only get if I'm hungry rather than a bar/restaurant. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. ;)

I'll come to mtpleasanteater's defense as well. I was in with a fairly large group on Saturday night and had a great time, but can't help but agree with his assessment about the food. We tried a couple of the newer items on the menu (buffalo wings and brisket sandwich) and just found them to be average. The wings had a nice spicy kick to them, but the rather thick breading (Hooters style) took so much away from them and made them taste overly greasy. The brisket sandwich was in no way bad, but needed something (sauce, salt & pepper) to give it some life. It just tasted like a slice of roasted beef with some bland peppers and cheese. Awful? No, but certainly not something I would order again.

To address the issue of letting a manager or someone know of any issues you have, well, if you're in after 6PM good luck finding anyone to help you period, let alone listen to your complaints. The manager working the bar (I'm assuming the guy with the glasses and beard?) had his head down for most of the night rushing around to pour beer for the growing masses in the space. The only time I was able to get his attention (for a beer) he barked at me that I was standing too close to his server's station and that I had to move before he could serve me. I understand where he was coming from (and I'm sure I was in the wrong), but I can see how someone would not want to wait for 10-15 minutes to get to the bar to discuss their crummy mac-n-cheese sticks with him in this environment.

As mtpleasanteater said, slow/inconsistent service (understandable given the enormous crowds) and mediocre food will not keep me from coming back to this place, which I view as a great beer hall with some snacks that I only get if I'm hungry rather than a bar/restaurant. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. ;)

I concur with DPop on this one. While the beer wow's mom, the food left me underwhelmed. It's pretty carb heavy, but I guess that's what people want/nead when drinking a lot of beer.

I stopped into ChurchKey last night and enjoyed a Nonic pint of the Williams Brothers Midnight Sun Stout ($9), a Scottish cask ale which I'd not seen before. I kept searching for a scent that was hauntingly familiar. Raspberry? No. Orange rind? Nope. Candied Ginger. Yes! Chocolate-covered ginger in the nose (not on the palate). Okay, so that got me thinking ... did they name this beer because of Japan? (*) And is it infused with ginger? I can't find anything about it on the internet.

Cheers,

Rocks

(*) Never mind, I was thinking "Rising Sun" last night. D'oh.

I went there Sunday after the picnic to meet a friend.

At the bar we had a great time picking out some delicious four ounce beers. As our group size grew we decided to move back into the curtained off area.

There, I'm afraid, I have to say our service went from "fine" to "bad". Simply put, our waitress was almost impossible to find. She never checked on us, we had to go find her, and even asking for the check took multiple tries and at least 20 minutes.

Honestly it was some of the worst service I've had in longer than I can remember. I ended up holding the money so everyone else could go it took so long to get the check.

Dear ChurchKey Servers,

Old people may not have ironic facial hair or wear tube tops, but we appreciate fine food, drink and atmosphere, and sometimes we have money for generous tips. You might want to rethink your policy of either ignoring us or treating us like an annoyance, especially when you can't blame your poor service on being "slammed."

Thanks,

Born In The 60's.

(I don't care for beer, and what I had to snack on this afternoon does not make me want to rush back to try more of the food. The house salad was severely underdressed, and the chicken wings were soggy and bland, but I can always be tempted by cheese & charcuterie and may give those items my attention if I happen to be there again. The space is gorgeous, but the afternoon sun pouring in through floor to ceiling windows is unpleasant with temps in the 90's outside. They need to fix the broken blinds so that they close properly.)

There's not a single dried meat on today's charcuterie board. It's chicken liver mousse, head cheese, pate de Champagne, cow tongue pastrami, and a delicious, very paprika-y sausage. I'm really impressed with how this place is unafraid to serve things that are out of the ordinary. And that certainly (and obviously) extends to the amazing beer list. Highlight of today's visit: the 2010 (there are different vintages) Abbaye de St. Bon-chien from Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes, described as a wild pale ale matured in Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Pinot Gris and Merlot barrels. It's very tart up front, but has a long toffee/Port like finish. Great stuff.

There's not a single dried meat on today's charcuterie board. It's chicken liver mousse, head cheese, pate de Champagne, cow tongue pastrami, and a delicious, very paprika-y sausage. I'm really impressed with how this place is unafraid to serve things that are out of the ordinary. And that certainly (and obviously) extends to the amazing beer list. Highlight of today's visit: the 2010 (there are different vintages) Abbaye de St. Bon-chien from Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes, described as a wild pale ale matured in Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Pinot Gris and Merlot barrels. It's very tart up front, but has a long toffee/Port like finish. Great stuff.

If the "Zwet.be" sour Baltic porter is still on, grab some of that. One of the best beers I've had all year.

If the "Zwet.be" sour Baltic porter is still on, grab some of that. One of the best beers I've had all year.

That stuff is fantastic -- had some last night. The entire lineup of sours, especially the oak-aged ones, were fascinating and delicious. Chances are good I'll head right back tonight. I've never seen a beer lineup like that before.

Alex

Co-signing on this plate, especially the tongue. When I had it this weekend we were told it was 'tongue pastrami'. Damn near perfect with a little of the whole grain mustard.

After landing in DC and dropping our bags, Churchkey was our first stop. As always, the beers were great - I enjoyed trying the Corruption from DC Brau, as the brewery was not around when I was in DC. We enjoyed munching on the fried mac and cheese and the tater tots, but the (very pleasant) surprise of the evening, food-wise, came from the pork enchiladas. Tender, perfectly seasoned carnitas, just the right amount of spice, incredibly flavorful - exactly what we wanted.