Pizzeria Orso, S. Maple Ave. in Falls Church - Chef Carlos Diaz Steps In For Will Artley, With GM Sara Barrera

I finally made my first trip to Orso. Yes, it's because DannyNoonan is my boss and sent our whole work group there, but that didn't make me any less excited to try them out. I wasn't sure they would live up to the hype coming from him for the last few months, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that they exceeded it. The entire trip was a success. The pies were delicious. I wasn't trying to suck up, but I did order the Margherita as well. I feel like that's the right choice the first time I'm trying out new pizza. It didn't disappoint. The crust had the perfect level of char and that pinch of salt gave it a great overall flavor. I thought the balance of sauce and cheese was perfect and it had enough basil to make me happy. Paired with a lovely glass of Gragnano it was simply delicious.

We tried a wide variety of pizzas throughout the group and I really think all of them were well received. I hate to say it, but this reminds me of the level of pizza making that 2 Amys used to be at but has failed to achieve the last several times I have been there. So happy to have this kind of quality out in the 'burbs. I took the leftovers home to Mom and took my girlfriends back for a lunch date the following week. Think I made believers out of them as well.

Went on Wednesday and looked over at the oven for MacQuaid. When I didn't see him, my enthusiasm waned. WRONG. Everything was great. Char was just right. And if anybody making decisions is reading this, please make the onion and anchovy crostini part of the regular menu. Simple perfection.

Often times, I'm compelled to order what's on the "specials" menu at a restaurant because I think I may never be able to order it again. But what if I really like it and can never order it again? Such was the case with a recent specialty pizza at Orso. Brussel sprouts, shallots, pancetta (I think; it wasn't listed on the menu), vincotto, smoked provola, and an egg. Smokey, savory, with a hint of sweetness and a perfectly cooked crust, this was easily one of my favorite pies I've had here, or anywhere else for that matter.

But now I'm afraid I may never get to taste it again...

Hmm. That is troubling. I've been there a few times and the pizza are much better when he's there than not.

While it will likely lead to a reduction in quality, I have noticed that most of the times I am there I have watched as others make and cook the pizzas, very few were touched by Edan, and without any noticeable detriment. This is different than at Pupatella where I have never seen Enzo not one of the pies (he lets one of his guys tend the oven, but at least while I have been there he always has made the pies).

...at Pupatella where I have never seen Enzo not [make] one of the pies...

Hence why they are closed Sunday and Monday, and have more limited hours than Orso Tuesday through Saturday. Enzo, so far, does not permit anyone else to make pies.

Who did not see this one cominig? Been saying that for a while now. I hope all the people that have bashed me and sent me messages that I have a personal adgenda about this place no send me an Apology.

I've seen it coming for almost six months, and was hoping it wouldn't happen, but I suppose it was a question of "when" and not "if."

I'm not going to downgrade this yet in the Dining Guide only because West Falls Church has virtually nothing in terms of competition, but I suspect a downgrade will follow in the near future: Macquaid made this restaurant, period. This is like Mark Furstenberg leaving Breadline.

Who did not see this one cominig? Been saying that for a while now. I hope all the people that have bashed me and sent me messages that I have a personal adgenda about this place no send me an Apology.

I'm not trying to start a war, here, but I'm simply curious...how did you see "this" coming? The split was due to management differences, if we can believe the press release, not quality of pizze, soupy or not, etc. I certainly didn't see it coming, I won't lie.

I'm disappointed to say the least. The place is already a kid-fest and if it becomes a Neapolitan Carlo E. Formaggio, I'll be avoiding it like the plague. I won't boycott Orso because I like the food, but I'll be weary of changes being made.

I'm not trying to start a war, here, but I'm simply curious...how did you see "this" coming? The split was due to management differences, if we can believe the press release, not quality of pizze, soupy or not, etc. I certainly didn't see it coming, I won't lie.

I'm disappointed to say the least. The place is already a kid-fest and if it becomes a Neapolitan Carlo E. Formaggio, I'll be avoiding it like the plague. I won't boycott Orso because I like the food, but I'll be weary of changes being made.

If Chuck E. Cheese had pizza like this, we'd be there every week. As it is I have to eat at CiCi's far more than I'd like. Would probably be Carlito E. Formaggio, no? :)

If Chuck E. Cheese had pizza like this, we'd be there every week. As it is I have to eat at CiCi's far more than I'd like. Would probably be Carlito E. Formaggio, no? :)

I'd agree with "Carlito" if the name were "Chuckie E. Cheese". I'm going to stick with Carlo for "Chuck". I can't be swayed! :)

The excuse "The split was due to management differences" is akin to I am leaving my position of power to spend time with my family , generally not the truth. Fact is quality and consistency has eluded this place since opening.

The excuse "The split was due to management differences" is akin to I am leaving my position of power to spend time with my family , generally not the truth. Fact is quality and consistency has eluded this place since opening.

Thanks for the note. I was kinda wondering whether the press release was restaurant-speak for "you weren't doing the job we wanted to you do as well as we thought you'd be able to do it."

Thanks for the note. I was kinda wondering whether the press release was restaurant-speak for "you weren't doing the job we wanted to you do as well as we thought you'd be able to do it."

Remember there are two sides to every story.

Remember there are two sides to every story.

Absolutely no doubt about that, Don. Unfortunately, we'll only get to hear the one side that's allowed to talk. The "winner" gets to write history, right? I'm sure MacQuaid will pop up somewhere soon, I just hope it's as close to my house as Orso.

I am late to this thread but am sooo bummed to learn of the developments at Orso. I have loved this place since it opened. We'll go back, as it is very close to home and very kid friendly, but will be wary of adverse changes in pizza quality post-Macquaid's exit.

Bummed.

You know there is a space with a pizza oven already in it right in Clarendon, might not be from Italy, but it does have a DR.com member's wedding ring in it. Just sayin...

Actually, there isn't. I think the oven was gone less than 48 hours after American Flatbread shuttered.

(And I still maintain that "flatbread" is a terrible name for pizza -- it sounds like something that happens when they pack your groceries poorly.)

Actually, there isn't. I think the oven was gone less than 48 hours after American Flatbread shuttered.

(And I still maintain that "flatbread" is a terrible name for pizza -- it sounds like something that happens when they pack your groceries poorly.)

Hmm, I wonder where Dan's wedding ring has been taken then! I thought I saw it when I went by to screwtop last week, but must have been mistaken. And I too think that flatbread is not pizza, if you say flatbread I want it almost manila envelope thin, it should be able to slide underneath a door. Willow has a flatbread, pizza is pizza. Sorry this is all horribly off topic.

On topic, I was more on the concept purist camp myself.

My family set out this evening, determined to get pizza, not intending to be guinea pigs. We first attempted Pupatella, only to find it hopelessly jammed even at 5:50. We would have loved to stay for our inaugural visit but with 3 adults and 2 little kids there was just no way. So, we set out down the road to Pizzeria Orso and decided that we'd taste first-hand how the new guy was doing. The verdict: mostly good.

We ordered mozzarella sticks for the kids and the mixed green salads for ourselves. Those were just as good as we remembered. The dressing on the fresh greens was tasty and judiciously applied. My kids pummeled the mozzarella sticks so I guess those were good as well.

I ordered a margherita, my wife a marinara, and my MIL (I think) a filetto (not sure about the name but it came with garlic, basil, and halved cherry tomatoes). My wife declared her marinara as good as ever and my MIL loved her pizza, especially the tomatoes which were somehow really sweet and tasty in March. My margherita, overall, was good but I must admit that it was not as consistently transcendent as I remembered. I have been here alot and have always ordered this pizza so I have a good basis for comparison and somehow this pizza wasn't quite as good. Don't get me wrong, I think it is still way above average and probably better than most pizza we have available in this area but I found myself taking certain bites that just weren't as good as others. I think maybe the sauce was underseasoned, needing salt. And I think the crust was just a tad overcooked. It was more crackery and toothsome than I recall. Hard to put my finger on exactly why, maybe it was psychological, but it just wasn't as good.

There was a good crowd at 6pm, it seemed about average, so it seems maybe as if the world of Edan's departure hasn't gotten around yet. The guy manning the oven tonight was the only other guy I had ever seen cook pizzas when Edan was there, maybe his name is Adam, so I was comforted by that. The new guy was making the rounds to some tables to check on how people were doing in between what appeared to be expediting in the kitchen. I heard him tell the table next to us that they're thinking about adding some more seasonal menu items to the line up and trying to source more products locally, specifically mentioning the Falls Church farmer's market.

So, will we be back? Yes. As I mentioned previously Orso is so close to home and kid friendly and (still) has pizza that far exceeds the other local options. I didnt like Edan's departure for some reason. I don't know the details and never will but I value consistency and like it when everything at least appears to be fine at places I like so his departure kinda threw me for a loop. But, the product, at least at first glance, seems to have survived and if the new guy really will make the menu more seasonal and local then that is even better. We will go back and see if the consistency holds up over time. I hope it does.

Maybe his name is Adam...

Say hi next time. :-)

Thanks for the feedback. We're still getting our feet under us for the time being, but if you stick around you might be pleasantly surprised. The pizze are not changing, but we'll be doing some killer new stuff before and after them (in terms of meal progression).

There was a good crowd at 6pm, it seemed about average, so it seems maybe as if the world of Edan's departure hasn't gotten around yet.

I've read your post twice now, and this sentence stuck with me. Do you really think that the average not food-obsessed diner will care? As long as it's decent and fills a void in the neighborhood, I suspect most people won't.

I'm not saying this to be glib or snotty - it's just that sometimes we (myself included) forget that most people don't really pay that much attention to who is cooking their steak or flipping their pizza.

I think the person who is "flipping their pizza" is a lot more important than one "who is cooking their steak."

You know that, I know that, and Heather knows that. Unfortunately, I also think Heather's right - the average person dining out is non-discerning (please notice that I didn't say "an idiot").

Although I haven't heard from Edan, I know from previous conversations that he likes Adam very much, and I myself have had pizzas with Adam at the oven that are wonderful (and let's not forget that Adam has now studied under Edan for quite awhile). This place will never be the same, but that still doesn't mean it can't be very good (and, perhaps more importantly to certain people, raking in the loot like Elevation Burger is down the block). I'm just as concerned about the potential for cost cutting, e.g., using lesser ingredients, but perhaps that's a needless worry.

We all like Edan, but ultiimately, Orso deserves to be judged on its own merits, and will be in the long term. I'll still go there, but I also live in the center of a compass, equidistant from Pupatella and Pizzeria Orso, and I've always felt myself pulled with similar magnetism towards the north pole and the south pole. Now, I feel like someone has chopped off the south pole.

I guarantee that on a personal level, Enzo and Anastasia take no happiness in this (let's not forget, Edan himself was the first authority to point out how good the pizza was back when Pupatella had a food cart). That said, I suspect they're going to be drinking less Dolcetto and more Barbaresco in the future.

Cheers,

Rocks

I've read your post twice now, and this sentence stuck with me. Do you really think that the average not food-obsessed diner will care? As long as it's decent and fills a void in the neighborhood, I suspect most people won't.

I'm not saying this to be glib or snotty - it's just that sometimes we (myself included) forget that most people don't really pay that much attention to who is cooking their steak or flipping their pizza.

I think the average not food-obsessed diner will not care either. What I do think will happen is the 'less is more' restraint which is such an important quality will leave Pizzeria Orso because Edan is not there. When I tasted pies by others made there, the pizzas always more toppings, more sauce, etc...regardless, Pizzeria Orso will be fine as it becomes more kid friendly.

Agreed that the average diner probably doesn't care who prepares their food but prior experience led me to suspect that they might have been paying attention this time. The average not food-obsessed diner populace sure seemed to come out in droves the Saturday night after the Post Dining Guide came out. That was my basis for comparison. The place was mobbed that night like I had never seen before. I, apparently wrongly, surmised that those same folks might have read the news, again in the Post, and steered cleared after Edan's departure. Happily, that does not appear to have been the case.

I am fairly food obsessed, I do care who prepares my food, and I do care what ingredients go into my food and I will keep going to Orso. As I have thought further about my experience there Friday, I realized that there is no reason to do otherwise. Hopefully this departure is just a bump in the road.

How was it not kid friendly before? I'm just curious.

The last time we were there with some friends who had kids that didn't like anything. I think the kid's menu will expand and the appetizers will be more kids friendly.

The last time we were there with some friends who had kids that didn't like anything. I think the kid's menu will expand and the appetizers will be more kids friendly.

Sounds like your friends had kids that were not pizzaria friendly. :) But all kidding aside, I too hope that Orso will soldier on in the fine way they have been and I wish Edan the best too -- hoping he stays in the area and finds another gig.

Sounds like your friends had kids that were not pizzaria friendly. :) But all kidding aside, I too hope that Orso will soldier on in the fine way they have been and I wish Edan the best too -- hoping he stays in the area and finds another gig.

Somebody needs to find that guy a place to make pizza.

Ooof...rough night tonight at Orso. We arrived about 7:30 and the place was hopping, but not totally full. The meal started off poorly by having to wait for way too long for anyone from the waitstaff to approach us. Mrs. DrXmus flagged down a waiter, Tim, who said that he was responsible for the parallel area but that he'd take care of us. Things got a little better when we learned the guest tap was Southern Tier IPA, which was delicious. We had the bruschetta special, which was also very good. We love the bread at Orso and the char from the grill is really tasty. The special this weekend featured a couple of thick slices of bread covered with warm ricotta infused with lemon zest and topped with fried artichokes. Good stuff.

We've always gotten the Suppli de Telephono and tonight was no different. Unfortunately, it was not the quality that we've grown accustomed to. Where the rice used to be cooked with tomato water to give it a hint of tomato, it's now cooked with either tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes, so the entire dish tastes more like tomato than rice and mozzarella. We couldn't even finish them. We each had one and took the other three home for the compost pile.

The Diavolo pizze was great. The crust seemed a little thicker than before, but well-charred and the texture was just right.

I'm sure we'll be back because it's relatively close and mostly good, but I'd hate to see our favorite suppli dish be off our menu. I keep hoping for the service to get more consistent, but I've given up on that.

We too dined at Orso this weekend. I noticed immediately upon entering that "the new guy" was manning the pizza oven for the first time so I was curious how the evening would unfold. He seemed to be expediting during our last visit so I don't think we had sampled his cooking yet.

Our starters were fantastic. My wife ordered, and I liberally sampled, the special beet agrodolce salad. From what I recall, it was thinly sliced picked beets and maybe some fennel (?) tossed with greens and a sweetish-sour dressing. The dressing tended more toward the sour side of the spectrum, with the vinegary beets predominating, but overall the flavor was great. The salad offered an interesting melange of flavors, was texturally appealing, and was pleasant to look at. We both loved it. I ordered another special starter of smoked bocconcini topped with lightly dressed arugula, preserved lemon slices, and grilled asparagus spears. Smoky and creamy mozzarella, peppery arugula, and perfectly grilled asparagus captured in a single bite was heavenly. A great start to my meal.

Now for the pizzas: I ordered the margherita and my wife the marinara. This time, as opposed to our last visit, my wife found her pizza lacking and I liked mine. She found her crust too charred and the sauce lacking flavor. I, on the other hand, found a much more balanced flavor to my margherita. The sauce had that nice fresh tomato flavor and was well seasoned, unlike last time, and the crust was chewy and nicely charred. Again, both pizzas were, even with their shortcomings, way better than anything else in the immediate vicinity and even beyond so this is really just nitpicking.

For dessert, we ordered chocolate and vanilla gelato. The flavors were good but I found the texture a bit more icy than usual. Are they still getting their gelato from Dolcezza?

I have been to Orso a few times since the switch and its true the restaurant is evolving. The change in the pizza I've noticed has been slight; a minor decrease in the puff of the crust, and a crispier bottom (sacrilege to some, welcome to others). I think Orso's appetizers have generally been short changed - especially the specials. The olive oil poached chicken from several months ago was probably the best chicken I've ever had, mostly because it didn't taste like chicken. The cod fish fritters, smoked eggplant crostini, and most recently a ricotta with fried artichokes have all been delicious.

As part of the change, the kitchen has started making fresh pasta dishes and revamped the menu. The aracini have changed - smaller, more per order, and some red pepper thrown in the mix. There are some springy items like the ricotta, pea shoot, fava bean and pancetta pizza we enjoyed that had a welcome kick of spice from somewhere. The smoked bocconcini and grilled asparagus spears topped with lightly dressed arugula, and preserved lemon slices has rightfully made the full time menu after spending some time on the specials board - perfect mix of creamy, salty, sweet, pepper and spring. It sounds like the new menu will be changing seasonally. Adam (who worked for a while at Trummers) and the new chef are using their experience to play around with the specials and apps -- I think Orso is turning into more than just a pizza restaurant ala 2Amys -- and I don't think that's a bad thing.

I think it is unfair to keep the word "warning" on the topic line. People are reporting generally positive experiences so a warning seems a bit extreme.

[it's standard when there's the loss of a major presence (Eventide currently has one too, so did Breadline, so have others in the past). It would be unfair, after so much hype of this place for so long, not to warn people (for a period of time) that they disposed of the one person who put them on the map to begin with.]

Considering that Arcturus is now looking for a new job on the forum, is this further evidence that Orso is seeing major changes? Wasn't he the guy who people were saying that there's consistency pre-and post-MacQuaid with him in front of the oven?

Considering that Arcturus is now looking for a new job on the forum, is this further evidence that Orso is seeing major changes? Wasn't he the guy who people were saying that there's consistency pre-and post-MacQuaid with him in front of the oven?

Yup.

Now I'm the guy saying not to trust the 2941 corporation.

B)

(The chefs are good guys, but upper management is straight slimy)