Area Grocery Stores

Heather

The biggest problems tend to be near the top end, so pulling back a little husk should do it. That's always the way my mom did it. I never fully shuck an ear of corn at a store, just check the top. Dan Donahue (Eastern Market - Agora Farms) taught me a few years ago to check the corn without peeling by pressing through the husk, especially the top part. That works pretty well, and I don't recall ever getting any kind of rotted corn from him.

When I got corn that has some weak and/or rotted parts, I just cut them out. I can't recall ever getting an ear of corn I had to toss completely.

You guys buy corn at grocery stores?

Not too often. I usually buy from one of the outside vendors at Eastern Market on Saturdays. If I'm at a grocery store midweek, though, and I decide I'd like some corn, I'll give it a look and maybe buy some.

You guys buy corn at grocery stores?

No, but the produce section is so compact in the WF near me that you can't help but be in close proximity to the shuckees.

Fortunately, the only corn on the cob I've had this year was brought to me by a friend from my hometown in upstate NY....Hurley Flats corn....best in the universe!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this (there doesn't seem to be an aldi thread) but yesterday I was at aldi and they had a bag of 4 meyer lemons for $1.40 or something like that, and decent asparagus (actually better than is usually at my safeway) for $1.49 a pound. I was also delighted to find toasted ravioli in the freezer section. i haven't tried that yet, but the frozen cheddar/chive biscuits were pretty good. 

I find myself still pining for the convergence of a grocery store that has everything I want. I often end up at several over the course of the month - Wegmans and Harris Teeter are the main ones. Sometimes Shopper's less frequently would be Giant, and everything else is a bit random but Super Best leads the pack of Food Lion, Weiss and others. None f them has the perfect storm of what I need.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pool Boy said:

I find myself still pining for the convergence of a grocery store that has everything I want. I often end up at several over the course of the month - Wegmans and Harris Teeter are the main ones. Sometimes Shopper's less frequently would be Giant, and everything else is a bit random but Super Best leads the pack of Food Lion, Weiss and others. None f them has the perfect storm of what I need.

I tried to find a clip of Silicon Valley S4E3 where Monica says the line, "You do realize I'm literally the only person in this entire grocery store who's actually buying stuff for myself."  I wish I could find it...

On 2/13/2006 at 1:16 PM, Bob Wells said:

LOL funny you should mention Almac's (or as my cousin called it, "the Almac"). My brother and I were just this past weekend talking about a cool feature of our local Almac's (on East Ave in Pawtucket): After your groceries got bagged, they were put in a box on a slow-moving conveyor belt made of ball bearings (or casters, whatever you call those things). While you went and got your car, your groceries would toddle down the belt to a hole in the wall where they would proceed outside, hang a uey, and arrive at the end of the belt just as you drove up. Really quite ingenious. Us kids loved it. :huh:

Our other local grocery store was the Big G. Remember that one?

Reading through this thread, procrastinating on doing work ...

I vaguely remember that from the Almacs on West Shore Road in Warwick! :-) I don't remember Big G, however.

I remember my mom talking about going to "Meat Street." Was that Almacs? Or possibly IGA? I don't think we ever went to butcher shops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dracisk said:

Reading through this thread, procrastinating on doing work ...

I vaguely remember that from the Almacs on West Shore Road in Warwick! :-) I don't remember Big G, however.

I remember my mom talking about going to "Meat Street." Was that Almacs? Or possibly IGA? I don't think we ever went to butcher shops.

LOL great memories. Big G was another small local chain. I remember going into the one in Pawtucket that became a Douglas Drug and marveling at how small "Supermarkets" used to be. Don't remember "Meat Street." :lol: We went to a butcher shop because my mom kept a kosher kitchen at home. Unfortunately the local kosher butcher turned out to be a real goniff (thief).:lol:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Wells said:

Douglas Drug

OMG Douglas Drug! Growing up in RI (Warwick) I knew like two Jewish families, so it's easy for me to forget that there's a Jewish population there (and even some families who keep kosher!).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dracisk said:

OMG Douglas Drug! Growing up in RI (Warwick) I knew like two Jewish families, so it's easy for me to forget that there's a Jewish population there (and even some families who keep kosher!).

Yep, in fact there are (or at least were) two fairly distinct Jewish populations -- Providence East Side/Pawtucket and Cranston/Warwick. (Not to mention the smaller communities in Newport, Woonsocket etc). Both had kosher delis, bakeries, and butchers. Now Rainbow Bakery in Cranston is the last of the Jewish bakeries, and you can still get a good sissel bread (rye) there. Not sure if there are any Jewish butchers or delis left at all. :( But the Jewish cemetery on Post Road is in good shape!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/5/2018 at 11:05 AM, ktmoomau said:

I tried to find a clip of Silicon Valley S4E3 where Monica says the line, "You do realize I'm literally the only person in this entire grocery store who's actually buying stuff for myself."  I wish I could find it...

Muhahhahahhahha