Area Grocery Stores

Heather

Aside from Whole Foods, what are your preferred sources for fresh, fresh fish and other seafood? I like what I can get at Whole Foods but I cringe at the prices. I am hoping there is an excellent and well priced fresh fishmonger out there, ideally on the Maryland side of the Potomac, that I can investigate.

We shop some at the Asian markets for seafood, but while most of the fish is good, I find that it rarely approaches great.

When I'm willing to spend a few extra $$$ for the real deal, I usually go to Upstream on Georgia Ave., just south of 495. I've occasionally shopped at River Falls, oddly enough at the corner of River and Falls in Potomac, but while I've had insanely good fish there, you pay Potomac prices...

Okay, let's switch to green things, first.

1) Fiddlehead ferns.

Only bought them once, pickled and bottled in Maine. Saw them fresh for $6 or $7 a lb. at Balducci's this weekend. Compact, with all those little potential fronds curled up, I could tell that keeping them unmushy in a big pile was a challenge.

Since it looks as if ramps are through, would I be justified in calling these the new hot seasonal thing in retail stores--as opposed to pea shoots outside in the market? Do you buy and cook them? Are they more than just a novelty?

I've been thinking about giant shrimp frequently as I've weekly battled at the Rockville Pike WF regarding the pricing on the shelf vs. scanned price of the Tropicana Golden Grapefruit Juice. It's $3.99 on the shelf, but $4.49 when scanned. When brought to the attention of the first cashier, she refunded me 30 cents. I calmly pointed out that it was a 50 cent difference and she gave me the 20 cent balance. The next person brought the manager in on it, who happily gave me the dollar back (I was buying two of them).

Nobody seems to think they owe me free product for misrepresenting the price. Until yesterday night. I got two free Tropicana Golden Grapefruit Juices. Make no mistake, I spent a fair amount of time trying to memorize the face of the friendly gentleman who did this so that I could return to his aisle in the future. (And yes, Tropicana Golden Grapefruit Juice is my favorite beverage in the world, so I'm willing to pay these exorbitant prices. There's little I enjoy as much as a glass of it with a rich brownie, or (on a separate occasion) mixed with a good vodka, or, on a separate occasion still, drunk down straight with my morning cereal. It's an amazingly versatile beverage.)

And yes, Tropicana Golden Grapefruit Juice is my favorite beverage in the world, so I'm willing to pay these exorbitant prices. There's little I enjoy as much as a glass of it with a rich brownie, or (on a separate occasion) mixed with a good vodka, or, on a separate occasion still, drunk down straight with my morning cereal. It's an amazingly versatile beverage.)

Is that the Tropicana "Pure Premium" not from concentrate stuff? I grew up in Florida, and the Tropicana not-from-concentrate line of OJ and grapefruit juices are the only citrus juices I will drink, short of fruit and a juicer on my kitchen counter...

Is that the Tropicana "Pure Premium" not from concentrate stuff? I grew up in Florida, and the Tropicana not-from-concentrate line of OJ and grapefruit juices are the only citrus juices I will drink, short of fruit and a juicer on my kitchen counter...
They often have a good deal on it at Snider's (right now $2.48/carton). It's my house OJ. :)

Tropicana Golden Grapefruit Juice is my favorite beverage in the world, so I'm willing to pay these exorbitant prices. There's little I enjoy as much as a glass of it with a rich brownie, or (on a separate occasion) mixed with a good vodka, or, on a separate occasion still, drunk down straight with my morning cereal. It's an amazingly versatile beverage.)

Grapefruit juice is forbidden to those of us who take Lipitor so that we can eat well-marbled beef and pork. :)

Grapefruit juice is forbidden to those of us who take Lipitor so that we can eat well-marbled beef and pork. :)
That's actually not wholely true---while grapefruit does increase the efficacy of Lipitor, one needs to not eat or drink an overabundance of it, and certainly not right when you take the medicine. I've been assured that a glass of grapefruit juice occasionally, will not be harmful (to me.) I would suggest any other grapefruit lovers on Lipitor (GLOL's) check with their physicians to see if there may be a way for them to sneak a drink in every now and again.

Wegman's selection of proscuitto and Serrano ham is the equal of anyone in the D. C. area. Balducci's does carry their own brand of Violane Nano but Dean and DeLuca has two artisinal brands which I find superior. (The Italian Store in Vienna also carries several brands of Violane Nano.) Dean and DeLuca probably has the best cheese shop of the stores mentioned in this post. I believe the McLean Balducci's is superior to the other area Balducci's from several perspectives. One is that the butcher there was formerly the owner of the French Market on Wisconsin avenue in Georgetown-he is knowledgeable and talented. (As is Wagshal's in Spring Valley among others.) I believe the Vienna Whole Foods is superior to other area Whole Foods although the Wisconsin Avenue Whole Foods (near Calvert St.) carries products that the suburban ones do not. I totally agree with the comments about Balducci's La Valle tomatoes: I love them and, remarkably, they are reasonably priced.

I believe Whole Foods has opened a 50,000 square foot+ concept store near Arundel Mills. Has anyone been?

Last: the best gorgonzola dolce that I have had in America was Mauri which Balducci's and Wegmans both used to carry. But no longer. Does anyone know any store in the area where this can be found? It is a more intense dolce than the several other imports available. Dean and DeLuca, Whole Foods, Balducci's, Wegman's-none of them carry it now.

Yep, that's the stuff. And, I'll admit, I'm pretty well unwilling to drink anything else either. I would rather have a glass of cranberry juice or apple juice than switch to that from concentrate dreck.

JPW--where's Sniders?

I've been thinking about giant shrimp frequently as I've weekly battled at the Rockville Pike WF regarding the pricing on the shelf vs. scanned price of the Tropicana Golden Grapefruit Juice. It's $3.99 on the shelf, but $4.49 when scanned. When brought to the attention of the first cashier, she refunded me 30 cents. I calmly pointed out that it was a 50 cent difference and she gave me the 20 cent balance. The next person brought the manager in on it, who happily gave me the dollar back (I was buying two of them).

it takes a village to get whole foods to change the price on the shelf when there is a discrepancy.

1 conventional lime at Whole Foods on P Street - 50 cents.

1 conventional lime at Shoppers Food Warehouse in Potomac Yard - 13 cents.

WTF? Location? Lazy buyers not wanting to find more affordable sources? Or is it a planned ripoff because they know their demographic might be more "comfortable" accepting said ripoff?

WTF? Location? Lazy buyers not wanting to find more affordable sources? Or is it a planned ripoff because they know their demographic might be more "comfortable" accepting said ripoff?

If you are at WF and only need 1 lime who gives a shit. You are going to spend the $0.37 in gas going to the other store. Of course the lime at WF could be organic...

Limes....what's up with lemons? 1 @ $1.29 :unsure: at the Old Town WF.

I got one because I'm making fish tonight and wanted to be sure I had fresh lemon to spritz on it. I thought $.99 was ridiculous, but now $.30 more. Ugh.

If you are at WF and only need 1 lime who gives a shit. You are going to spend the $0.37 in gas going to the other store. Of course the lime at WF could be organic...

Nope. Not organic. And yes, buy the 1 lime. I'm just trying to highlight a pretty stupendous price difference.

Limes....what's up with lemons? 1 @ $1.29 :unsure: at the Old Town WF.

I got one because I'm making fish tonight and wanted to be sure I had fresh lemon to spritz on it. I thought $.99 was ridiculous, but now $.30 more. Ugh.

Which is why I feel fortunate to have both the Metro Market and Todito's just a couple of blocks away. They both sell undyed, unwaxed lemons and limes for 25 cents each. ;)

Which is why I feel fortunate to have both the Metro Market and Todito's just a couple of blocks away. They both sell undyed, unwaxed lemons and limes for 25 cents each. :unsure:

And how much pesticide do they have on them?

While I am looking forward to PG county getting a Wegman's, I was dismayed that the local Food Lion (the place I stop for quick stops to get stuff as it is right near my house and very convenient on the way home from work) is going to be transformed in to their 'new concept' Bottom Dollar. Oh.....yay.

Laurel is just on the wrong side of the tracks it seems. <sigh>

Magruders is the only locally owned grocery store chain left in the area, after Giant sold out to Royal Ahold. The Seminary Road location is right across the street from a high rise apartment building that seems to be populated by an immigrent/aging tennant base and the Magruders is the only grocery store within walking distance. I think their meat is just as good as anyone else's (all USDA choice beef) and they carry a larger variety of cuts than Giant, Safeway, HT and WF. From now one, whenever I go to make meatballs or meatloaf, I know where I can find ground veal and ground pork and ground chuck and a half-way reasonable price. And they have flat iron steaks. The place reminds me more of what a Giant or Safeway looked like back in the 1970's. Even if you just go for the meat, you have an opportunity to pick up some other things as well. And as for the produce, I would be more likley to find tomatoes that came from a local vendor there than at some of the other places that make use of modern, efficient distribution systems.

The place reminds me more of what a Giant or Safeway looked like back in the 1970's.
What an age we live in. I'm glad I was born in time to see the Great Grocery boom. ;)
Even if you just go for the meat, you have an opportunity to pick up some other things as well. And as for the produce, I would be more likley to find tomatoes that came from a local vendor there than at some of the other places that make use of modern, efficient distribution systems.
A modern, efficient distribution system CAN support local vendors, you know. Like when I drive my ultra-modern, fuel-efficient Toyota Prius to the Courthouse farmer's market and then distribute what I buy to hungry guests. :unsure:

Magruders is the only locally owned grocery store chain left in the area

Perhaps the only "traditional" locally owned chain, but Bestway, I believe, is locally owned and a small chain. And Grand Mart--it's a local chain, although I don't know who owns it.

A modern, efficient distribution system CAN support local vendors, you know.
Of course I know this. But just because a system "CAN" support local vendors does not mean that they "DO" support local vendors.
Perhaps the only "traditional" locally owned chain, but Bestway, I believe, is locally owned and a small chain.
I have never heard of Bestway.

Of course I know this. But just because a system "CAN" support local vendors does not mean that they "DO" support local vendors.

I have never heard of Bestway.

That was a joke to lead-in to... oh, nevermind. I'm just not "on" today. :unsure:

Bestway is on 50 between Seven Corners and the Beltway (I think).

I always thought that was a little presumptious. Bestway. "OUR way is the BEST." "Well, I prefer the safer alternative, thank you."

Also a joke. Bestway, Safeway... you can continue with highway, biway (snicker), freeway, etc.

Man, Freeway would be an AWESOME, if misleading, name for a grocery store.

Am I on yet?

Magruder's Mayhem

I went to a Magruder's for the first time tonight - the one sort of on Seminary off 395.

FWIW - This location USED to be a Safeway not too terribly long ago. I think that all of the chains vary dramatically by location. The Old Town Safeway and Old Town and Monroe Street Giants are proof (to me) of substandard stores - which I just can't understand given all the money in the area. Why wouldn't they invest in improving the environment and offerings?? I know they are limited by space, but really, these stores are awful!

Regarding Harris Teeter in Old Town - various rumors continue to swirl...ranging from the deal having finally been worked out for one on N. Henry near Carpenter's Shelter to stories that the deal is off and they're putting one in the Eclipse development just north of Potomac Yard. There used to be a banner hanging on a fence at the construction site saying something like "Future Home of H-T" but it's not there anymore.... For now the only sure thing is the one coming in at Foxchase as DLB mentioned.

Perhaps the only "traditional" locally owned chain, but Bestway, I believe, is locally owned and a small chain. And Grand Mart--it's a local chain, although I don't know who owns it.
Grand mart is a New Jersey, Korean owned grocery chain with stores in NJ, NY, PA and VA. Hard to call it a local chain.

Driving by the Fox Chase Shopping Center on Duke St, Rt 236, I saw what looks like possibly a new supermarket being built where the old Magruder's had been. Does anyone know if this might be a market? Or perhaps a StienMart? :)

I drove by that yesterday, and it's a Harris Teeter.

Has she been there for a while? They had great cheese back when it was Fresh Fields, and Bread & Circus before that.

Thanks for that. SS WF is about to become my regular store. :lol:

For fish, there's the place on Georgia near Sniders, right?

And all pork is too lean these days.

Yes, for fish, Upstream Market is on GA Ave near Sniders.

What ever happened to going to one store to get all the groceries?! Well, those days are certainly gone. We were just at SS WF last night, and I was so pleased to see such variety--having grown up shopping at Giants and Safeways, who only sold the items they "chose" to carry, I'm still amazed by having so many choices. We were able to get out of there with spending under $60---and we didn't even buy any meat! :) YIKES. Unfortunately, I've not been impressed by the Giant in SS, but the one in Wheaton, now that they've decided to start re-stocking the shelves, is usually our go-to store for items on sale. Shoppers Food for Milk. Costco serves up great meats and produce, but we don't go there that often. Trader Joe's for breads and granola.

(Don't forget Trader Joe's is just up Rt 29 a bit.)

Yes, for fish, Upstream Market is on GA Ave near Sniders.
Thanks!
What ever happened to going to one store to get all the groceries?!
Those days are long gone, and the smarter grocery chains know it.

And can someone remind me why I need to shop at Trader Joe's? The Rockville store is such a hassle that it's been almost a year since I've set foot in it.

I just bought some Proscitto San Danielle. I'm fairly certain that the young man who was slicing it for me snitched at least two slices of it while he was slicing it. I'm kind of grossed out, mainly because he sort of tried to slyly do it and only really succeeded in looking like he might be spitting into his hand from my angle. My husband thinks I'm being picky. I didn't report it to anyone at the store because I didn't want to embarass the kid but I certainly won't order sliced deli meat from him again.

I just bought some Proscitto San Danielle. I'm fairly certain that the young man who was slicing it for me snitched at least two slices of it while he was slicing it. I'm kind of grossed out, mainly because he sort of tried to slyly do it and only really succeeded in looking like he might be spitting into his hand from my angle. My husband thinks I'm being picky. I didn't report it to anyone at the store because I didn't want to embarass the kid but I certainly won't order sliced deli meat from him again.

Where was this?

I'm with your husband. This kind of thing is not uncommon, to say the least. And it is far from the most serious sanitation issue which inevitably befalls your food every day, just not in plain view.

Have you ever thought about the waiters who clear the used dishes from one table, then serve yours a minute later? Did they wash their hands in between? There are a lot of germs out there, and while it may not be pleasant to think about IMO it's also not worth getting bent out of shape over.

I'm with your husband. This kind of thing is not uncommon, to say the least. And it is far from the most serious sanitation issue which inevitably befalls your food every day, just not in plain view.

Have you ever thought about the waiters who clear the used dishes from one table, then serve yours a minute later? Did they wash their hands in between? There are a lot of germs out there, and while it may not be pleasant to think about IMO it's also not worth getting bent out of shape over.

I got over it and ate the prosciutto. The waiter example doesn't bother me, because they would only touch my plate when serving me. I've certainly eaten samples at stores and farmers markets that have surely been touched by other hands. I eat stuff that my three year old drops on the floor. I realized that it was the young man's attempt to hide what he was doing that bothered me the most.

In most jurisdictions, the lowest shelf tag priced is the price that the store must legally sell the rpoduct for.
??? From a contract law standpoint, the price on the shelf is not an offer by the store to sell a product for the price stated. It is an invitation to the customer to make an offer to buy the product for the price on the shelf which the store is then free to accept or reject. If the price of the shelf is erroneous, there is no obligation on the part of the store to sell for that price.

??? From a contract law standpoint, the price on the shelf is not an offer by the store to sell a product for the price stated. It is an invitation to the customer to make an offer to buy the product for the price on the shelf which the store is then free to accept or reject. If the price of the shelf is erroneous, there is no obligation on the part of the store to sell for that price.
But consumer protection laws exist in most jurisdictions to prevent stores from practicing bait and switch tactics.

But consumer protection laws exist in most jurisdictions to prevent stores from practicing bait and switch tactics.
The store is under no obligation to sell you something for a price lower than what it is willing to charge and a consumer is under no obligation to pay more for something than he/she is willing to pay. If the store overcharges, the store can say, either we made a mistake and refund the amount of the overchange, or it can say, we made a mistake and we will give you back your money if you return the item.

The store is under no obligation to sell you something for a price lower than what it is willing to charge and a consumer is under no obligation to pay more for something than he/she is willing to pay. If the store overcharges, the store can say, either we made a mistake and refund the amount of the overchange, or it can say, we made a mistake and we will give you back your money if you return the item.

if a store knows that the price on its shelf is lower than what it is willing to charge, and a manager at the store has given a customer a refund for the difference between the erroneous shelf price and a higher price being registered at the checkout, presuming that the higher price is what the store actually is willing to charge, at what point can the price on the shelf no longer be considered a mistake by the store?

if a store knows that the price on its shelf is lower than what it is willing to charge, and a manager at the store has given a customer a refund for the difference between the erroneous shelf price and a higher price being registered at the checkout, presuming that the higher price is what the store actually is willing to charge, at what point can the price on the shelf no longer be considered a mistake by the store?

how much longer will this one lie waitin' for more free legal advice?

I do almost all of my shopping at Whole Foods, farmer's markets, and Eastern Market. For the first time in many months, I went to a Giant in Columbia MD on my way home from a friend's place. All I wanted was a decent looking piece of meat that I could sear in a pan when I got home. I looked in the meat case. And looked. And looked. I saw a "porterhouse" that was less than 1/2" thick. There was a "NY strip" where the layer of fat on one edge was as wide as the attached meat. It was truly pathetic. I felt sorry for the butcher I saw in the back. :)

I bought the one package of decent looking lamb chops I could find and had a decent dinner. If I lived in Columbia, I'd have to become a vegetarian. Or shoot myself. :)

Can we all agree that the produce prices at Whole Foods are criminal?
Yes, generally. But the selection and quality are generally so much better than Safeway I end up buying produce there anyway. Of course, the farmers' markets are generally much MUCH better in the quality department, but may charge you $12 a pound for green beans. Oh, and the produce section at the new Trader Joe's is pretty pathetic...it's almost like, why bother having a produce section if that's what it's going to be?

But speaking of Whole Foods, I happened to be driving along River Road in Bethesda this morning and thought "hey! I think I'll stop at this Whole Foods for the NY Times and a few grocery items!" and I must say, what a nice store compared with the hell-hole in Tenleytown (which was rather a hell-hole even before the never-ending remodeling began) and that dreadful store on P St. The problem I have with the P St. store is that it seems like half the space is given over to ready-made food, which I have no use for, leaving little room for the things I'm interested in. And the layout of the overpriced produce section is, well, counter-intuitive at the least.

Can we all agree that the produce prices at Whole Foods are criminal? We needed cucumbers for something so I picked up three this morning. $4.47. For three ordinary smallish cucumbers, not hothouse.

I think I would rather eat turnips from the market for the next 6 months than shop there. :)

The Safeway on Fenton actually has a pretty decent produce section for the basics.

Super H and Han Ah Reum are owned by the same company. They have started calling some stores Super H to de-emphasize the "Koreanness" and appeal to a wider ethnic range.

PS - Heather, I also remembered that Snider's has recently had some nice looking cukes.

Super H and Han Ah Reum are owned by the same company. They have started calling some stores Super H to de-emphasize the "Koreanness" and appeal to a wider ethnic range.
not so much to "de-emphasize" the "Korean-ness" but to emphasize that they carry a selection of food for everyone (even mee-guks)...What else would you call a grocery that has Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Spanish and generic (to cover whatever is left over)? maybe the Hall of Nations? :) Fortunately for us, the people mentioned above eat a diet heavy in veggies and so expect nothing but the best that they can get. Super H does a great job of stocking and selling them. Han Ah Reum is more of a "local" store (like a corner grocery). Han Ah Reum has always carried a wide variety of Asian foods. Super H just expands on the model (but don't go looking for a lot of Spanish food, there's only one aisle and while the staples are always there, the more esoteric articles might be there or not, depending on suppliers I suppose).

The only Super H that I know of is in Fairfax so that might pose a problem if you don't have a way/urge to go but if you do and want a guided tour of the store, let Grover know, she does guided tours now and then (and might even be persuaded to tell you how to prepare that squid or make acorn jelly).

Does anyone else shop every day, or every other day?
I typically hit the store a few times a week. I'm too much of a what am I in the mood to eat kind of person to do a once a week trip. This has been exacerbated by moving to a place with truly pitiful highly packaged produce. Makes me more of a what wouldn't I mind eating kind of person.